So I building a friends PC and I'm looking for a cpu the i7 4790k was what I picked first but for an extra 30 pound I could get him a 5820k

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

If he's doing nothing particularly CPU-heavy, an i5-4690k should be fine for a long time.

Also the 5820k is on the X99 platform and requires a different motherboard and DDR4 RAM, which is more expensive.

What's your budget and location and what does he want to do with the build?

Sig under construction.

What are his uses?

The 5820k is going to be a lot more expensive, because you need ddr4 and a x99 board.

Quote my post if you need me to respond.

What are the uses of the computer? If doing 3D modeling and the such the i7 will be quite handy, but if just gaming then it's a waste, as they give the same gaming performance as an i5.

If you're multi-tasking, the 5820k is nice depending on how heavy your workloads are, but keep in mind that even though the CPU itself is 30 pounds extra, you'll have to go with the X99 chipset and DDR4 ram which is very expensive.

Another option is to wait for Skylake, but I don't know how long that'll be or how much extra performance it'll give.

PC and Peripherals:

Intel Core i3 4150 @3.5GHz - ASRock H97M Anniversary - Kingston Fury HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 @1866MHz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5 - EVGA 500W 80+ Certified - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - WD Caviar Blue 160GB - Lian Li PC-50 - Linux Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS - Acer P221w 21.5" 1680x1050 60Hz - Kingston Fury HyperX Clouds - Razer Deathadder 3.5G - CM Storm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues

If he's doing nothing particularly CPU-heavy, an i5-4690k should be fine for a long time.

Also the 5820k is on the X99 platform and requires a different motherboard and DDR4 RAM, which is more expensive.

I know about the DDR 4 ram and at the moment it is the same price as ddr3 ram 16gb and the mono is the same price the budget is 1400 GBP

I know about the DDR 4 ram and at the moment it is the same price as ddr3 ram 16gb and the mono is the same price the budget is 1400 GBP

Sig under construction.

What are the uses of the computer? If doing 3D modeling and the such the i7 will be quite handy, but if just gaming then it's a waste, as they give the same gaming performance as an i5.

If you're multi-tasking, the 5820k is nice depending on how heavy your workloads are, but keep in mind that even though the CPU itself is 30 pounds extra, you'll have to go with the X99 chipset and DDR4 ram which is very expensive.

Another option is to wait for Skylake, but I don't know how long that'll be or how much extra performance it'll give.

he is going to use it for gaming as well as as video and photo editing for his collage work

he is going to use it for gaming as well as as video and photo editing for his collage work

Okay, how much does he value gaming compared to the other two?

Sig under construction.

Okay, how much does he value gaming compared to the other two?

well he is going to do a lot of editing using programs like adobe PS PR and also C4D and gaming is when ether he ain't doing work