Running single and sli 970 on 8350.

I don't really get it, if the 8350 was as bad as you say then why would there be a video of pairing it with pretty much as powerfull gpu on the official pcpartpicker website, uploaded on the official pcpartpickr youtube channel?

http://pcpartpicker.com/blog/30/gaming-pc-build-amd-fx-8350-gtx-780-r4

also this video shows that as i expected, the 8350 is within 0-15 fps of the 4690k in almost every game

@edit:

My head hurts a little bit from the contradicting information. I'm looking at benchmarks and forum threads since 2 days and can't figure this out, on one hand, the threads in linked in the op, videos from tek syndicate and the video from this post show that the 8350 is a good cpu and should be at just about the same level with 4690k trading blows and on the other all of you, @Faceman 's spoiler and people in this thread:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/754787-8370E-and-GTX-960-970

and multiple benchmark sites are telling the opposite. at this point i don't even know what to think and what i expect to get from posting here, I'm just very very very confused and don't know what to do.

As i see it right now i can either:

tear down my entire pc again, go several days without it, go through the trouble of selling and shipping my mobo, wait for new mobo and cpu that is more expensive that the one i wanted to buy, assemble my entire pc basically from scratch and after all of this get 5-15 fps more, maybe, possibly, if all of this turns out true

or just get amd and be done with it like i planned from the very beginning.

I'm honestly lost, i can't find the definitive answer to this and i feel quite tired with this problem considering it's been almost a year since i started this upgrade.

As much as I enjoy watching The Tek and learning valuable information about the goings on in the technological community; beyond that, Logan and Tek Syndicate are not good at benchmarking and should not be looked at for aggregate comparisons of, well, pretty much anything. JayzTwoCents, Linus, Paul's Hardware, AwesomeSauce Network, those are YouTube channels that offer solid, accurate benchmarks *most* of the time.

@Faceman and his huge spoiler is a gathering of information from around the web and on this very forum. All of it says that AMDs options for gaming do not compete with Intel within the same price brackets. And it is correct; for gaming, it is the wrong choice.

Save yourself some headaches and trouble, get Intel; whatever fits into your budget (i5, i3, heck, get a Xeon if you want to do editing and streaming). But for your purposes, an AMD CPU will let you down.

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

@azorGFX

There is also another video by that same guy where he compares a 3.3Ghz i5 Vs. a FX8350 at 4.7Ghz.  The i5 still wins.  This is because the cores on the i5 are so strong, that overclocking doesn't scale as well in those specific games.  Plus, the games he tests are not all very CPU heavy.  There are some games out there that demand a strong CPU.  Another thing those videos fail to show is GPU utilization.  You want your GPU to be at 99% utilization, and that is rarely going to happen with an FX processor and a 970.

It doesn't make sense for you to go from Phenom to FX8.  If you don't want to return your motherboard, you should stick with the Phenom, and overclock it as high as you can until you do have enough money for an Intel upgrade.

Also.  PLEASE:  Answer us.  What resolution are you playing at????

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

also this video shows that as i expected, the 8350 is within 0-15 fps of the 4690k in almost every game

We haven't watched the same video? listen at 2:12 and after...look at the numbers...are you able to tell if 60 is a greater number than 25?!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Oh, I was sure that resolution was in the op, my bad. ofc its 1080p. Sorry!

And i'm pretty sure i'm done with the oc, i'm hitting ~ 50 cores and ~65 package on 3,5 starting from 2,8 and when i tried 3,7 i ended up in a reboot loop. That might be because when i left voltage on auto mobo overvolt cpu like crazy (core went from stock 1,375 to 1,45) so i manually entered stock values and didn't try to touch any of them since i don't really understand how to set it up i stayed with as good oc as stock voltage let me.

right now my oc looks like this:

bus 250

cpu voltage 1,375

cpu/nb voltage 1,5

dram voltage 1,5

those are the stock values that mobo set by default for 200 bus x14 that i manually entered after mobo on auto change them

@i_build_nanosuits:
well this is an rts game, as i wrote in op i never play rts or arma games, i know that's pretty convenient since they are the ones that 8350 gets its ass kicked but thats just my taste

@i_build_nanosuits:

well this is an rts game, as i wrote in op i never play rts or arma games, i know that's pretty convenient since they are the ones that 8350 gets its ass kicked but thats just my taste

i didnt played those eiter, but still i felt the need to upgrade from the AMD FX-8320@4.6ghz i was running along with my GTX 780 because while monitoring GPU loads in games i realised that quite a bit of them my GPU was limited by the ol' Amd chip...games such as watchdogs, hitman:absolution and any assassin's creed game for example the CPU was just plain too slow even at 4.6ghz to properly feed my (at the time) 500$ GPU i just bought so i had to do something about it...i couldnt stand seing games running at 35FPS with 70% GPU loads with a 500$ can. graphics card in there...maybe that's just me, but i certainly not gonna let a 100$ CPU ruin my gaming experience.

i'm telling you this: the AMD FX-83XX regardless of it's clockspeed is not an ideal match for a GTX 970 at 1080p gaming, and FAR from being adequate for SLI GTX 970 unless you render games at 4K and aim for 45FPS.

Just look for dying light videos on youtube for example...with a GTX 970 if you want, and then look at this one shot with my own machine (GTX 780 and GTX 970 offer very similar gaming performance BTW)...you'll see the amd FX run that game (and many other as well) at sub 40FPS a lot of the time...mine never dipped bellow 80FPS:

Here, found a good example for you...same GPU, CPU is an overclocked FX-8 instead of an intel CPU (BTW core i3 CPU's play that game just as well as my i7)

Another one in case you have trust issues:

(MAKE SURE YOU LISTEN TO THE VIDEO IN THE MIDDLE...THAT POOR GUY IS GETTING LIKE 32FPS WITH THE SETTINGS AS LOW AS THEY WOULD GO!!)

(FIRST VIDEO IS THE ONE I DID MYSELF ON MY SYSTEM TRASHING FULL ACTION MONSTERS ON MAX SETTINGS)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

@azorGFX

At 1080p, there is absolutely no reason to go SLI 970s.  A single 970 is plenty.  Sell your motherboard, or return it and buy an i5 + H81/B85 mobo like I recommended on the other page.

What is your current GPU Usage when playing games according to MSI Afterburner?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I know it's plenty right now but i want to have the option to put another one without replacing mobo in 1-3 years if one stops being enough.

GPU usage depends on the game, in witcher 3 i get ~97% on ultra, fps is around 50-70, on a boat it goes up to ~100 fps, in town it can drop to ~38 fps and 50-70% usage

far cry 4 i get 40-60 on ultra, gpu usage jumps between 70-100%

gta 4 i get 40 fps with about 40-50%

fnv is weird, it usually shows as much usage as fps, i can get 30% and 20-40 fps or 60-90 fps with 70-80% usage

Generally as i see it there is a pretty big cpu bottleneck, if i could get my gpu to work 80-100% at all times i would be very happy.

btw. i can't return the mobo and i'm not so happy with the idea of selling it, as i wrote before, its a hassle.

I know it's plenty right now but i want to have the option to put another one without replacing mobo in 1-3 years if one stops being enough.

GPU usage depends on the game, in witcher 3 i get ~97% on ultra, fps is around 50-70, on a boat it goes up to ~100 fps, in town it can drop to ~38 fps and 50-70% usage
far cry 4 i get 40-60 on ultra, gpu usage jumps between 70-100%
gta 4 i get 40 fps with about 40-50%
fnv is weird, it usually shows as much usage as fps, i can get 30% and 20-40 fps or 60-90 fps with 70-80% usage
Generally as i see it there is a pretty big cpu bottleneck, if i could get my gpu to work 80-100% at all times i would be very happy.

btw. i can't return the mobo and i'm not so happy with the idea of selling it, as i wrote before, its a hassle.

I think you are going to have to learn to live with that performance than if you are unwilling to sell the motherboard.

A single 970 is going to last you for quite some time, and honestly, in 2-3 years, you will want to upgrade to the strongest single GPU available. 

Going from Phenom to FX8 is a side grade.  You won't be getting much, if any tangible improvements.  Plus, adding a 2nd 970 isn't going to give you any performance gains when you aren't even able to use a single 970 to its full potential.  The only game that is using the 970 correctly is Witcher3, and that is because the game is so incredibly GPU bound that it pushes the 970 to its max.

Going from Phenom to FX8 is a side grade.

this is correct, in fact it can even be a downgrade to some extent depending on the quality of the sillicon pieces we are talking about.

A 4ghz phenom will perform similar to a 4.5ghz FX...both achieveable clockspeeds by most...and both of these AMD chips will be slower than even a core i3 in MOST games.

OP: forget about 970 SLI, this is a terrible idea...use your 970 until it won't be enough for your likings and then sell it and buy another single more powerful GPU...and for your CPU, i'd try to sell the phenom and AM3+board online to the most offering and order a cheap ''H'' chipset series motherboard along with a cheap core i5 chip such as the i5-4460 for example.

ok guys, i posted the offer on polish tech forums, will see, if anybody decides to buy it i will be getting that intel

ok guys, i posted the offer on polish tech forums, will see, if anybody decides to buy it i will be getting that intel

it's really is your best option, even though i can understand it can be hard to swallow...but you bought an higher-end end modern graphics solution with the GTX 970, and even the FX-9590 is nothing more than a ''poor performing'' mid-range chip when it comes to gaming...those AMD cpu's should be paired with mid-range graphics cards for 1080p gaming...they just can't provide constant 60FPS gaming in many AAA titles, unfortunately.