What is the purpose of folding?

I understand it's using a program to connect to other pcs to process data. What exactly do you get out of it, nothing? It's a bit confusing for me...

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

To help contribute to disease research. It's volunteering your PC hardware into a massive supercomputer network to help with disease research, like cancer or alzheimer's

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

I understand it's using a program to connect to other pcs to process data. What exactly do you get out of it, nothing? It's a bit confusing for me...

What do you get from donating to charity? Nothing too, maybe a bit of self esteem, pride, etc.

We don't know where all the data goes. (At least I don't) But we know that we are making a contribution in trying to cure diseases.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

Folding proteins and sending the data back to researchers to help come up with a cure (or something to make it dormant) to cancers and what not.

Help Stanford University scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, Parkinson's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

The problems we are trying to solve require so many calculations, we ask people to donate their unused computer power to crunch some of the numbers.

It's a donation of your computers resources with no guarantee of return. The folding research is one sort of brute force way in trying to understand diseases and find cures by running simulated models through computers. The cost of electricity for a single computer folding over the course of a year is relatively small to a PC user (a few dollars on your bill), but because it costs more for researchers to build a supercomputer or network installation this is actually the preferable option. 

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

It's a donation of your computers resources with no guarantee of return. The folding research is one sort of brute force way in trying to understand diseases and find cures by running simulated models through computers. The cost of electricity for a single computer folding over the course of a year is relatively small to a PC user (a few dollars on your bill), but because it costs more for researchers to build a supercomputer or network installation this is actually the preferable option. 

Hence why I prefer stuff like The Clean Energy project (World Community Grid, Boinc), where you can ACTUALLY go to their database and have access to all of the results generated by the project. Still, all the help is appreciated.

Anyway, back to OP. You don't get a direct benefit, at least on the short term. However, IF the researchers succeed in their efforts, we can develop cures/treatments for painful diseases. In that sense, it directly benefits pretty much anyone you know, as it would help them overcome such diseases, should they acquire them.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

To help contribute to disease research. It's volunteering your PC hardware into a massive supercomputer network to help with disease research, like cancer or alzheimer's

What do you get from donating to charity? Nothing too, maybe a bit of self esteem, pride, etc.

We don't know where all the data goes. (At least I don't) But we know that we are making a contribution in trying to cure diseases.

Folding proteins and sending the data back to researchers to help come up with a cure (or something to make it dormant) to cancers and what not.

Hence why I prefer stuff like The Clean Energy project (World Community Grid, Boinc), where you can ACTUALLY go to their database and have access to all of the results generated by the project. Still, all the help is appreciated.

Anyway, back to OP. You don't get a direct benefit, at least on the short term. However, IF the researchers succeed in their efforts, we can develop cures/treatments for painful diseases. In that sense, it directly benefits pretty much anyone you know, as it would help them overcome such diseases, should they acquire them.

Ah, now I understand the purpose of it. So how safe is it, do they have access to my computers files, information, credit card stuff, and so on? I found a link, but I'm not sure if it's the one everybody else uses.

https://folding.stanford.edu

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Ah, now I understand the purpose of it. So how safe is it, do they have access to my computers files, information, credit card stuff, and so on? I found a link, but I'm not sure if it's the one everybody else uses.

they don't use personal information, i wouldn't think they would on purpose anyways. Stanford is one of the top schools in America, they don't need our money,they have billions. thats the link we use. Keep a eye on temps.glhf

It's as safe as possible. Just like you blindly trust your web browser and games to be installed and access the internet, you can trust the FAH software.

Also, yeah, that's the link we use.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!