Suggestions Needed!

Hi all!

I currently have an Alienware TactX keyboard which is quite old, and I feel like an upgrade. I was hoping to upgrade to a new mechanical keyboard and replace some / all the key caps (either as soon as I get it or over time) I don't think the Alienware TactX is mechanical, but if it is let me know what type of switches it has, as I quite like them. Below are the requirements:

• Cherry MX Black or Red (They seem most similar to what I am used to. If you think others are better, use them - I don't have much knowledge.
  • Price (overall) of around £100 - £150 (GBP, not USD). I can go over if needed.
  • LED's Not necessary, but would be a nice feature.
  • Ability to replace Key Caps
  • Preferably Full size, not TKL as one of my games uses a couple of the numpad for key binds. If I can find alternatives for these controls (View controls basically) I will be happy with a TKL

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for the help!

- Daanish

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

-snip-

I cannot give you any suggestions as im no keyboard expert, I use a logitech G105 Membrane keyboard. 

To tell whether a keyboard is membrane or mechanical, just pop out one of the keycaps. If they are membrane they should look like this:

G8nITif.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality, its not mine and I just took it from google. There should be this membrane like thingy and plastic surrounding it. I assume you know how a mechanical keyboard looks like..

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

Thanks - had a look at them. Probably won't go for the K95 as I don't need all the programmable keys - If I do use them it's only to spam the Join button on a game.

I looked at the K70 before, and was thinking about it. I might buy it, but will keep looking for suggestions :D

I cannot give you any suggestions as im no keyboard expert, I use a logitech G105 Membrane keyboard. 

To tell whether a keyboard is membrane or mechanical, just pop out one of the keycaps. If they are membrane they should look like this:

G8nITif.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality, its not mine and I just took it from google. There should be this membrane like thingy and plastic surrounding it. I assume you know how a mechanical keyboard looks like..

The key caps are very stiff and hard to get off without the correct tool - I don't want to damage them so I haven't tried. I will give it ago and see if I can get one off, and i'll send a picture

-snip-

Tried with a paperclip, keys won't come off. Looked online though and apparently it is not mechanical

All these other people and their peasant mechanical keyboards. ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Filco-Majestouch-2-Tactile-Action-Keyboard/dp/B006TTL2PI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433082251&sr=8-2&keywords=filco 

Filco.  :wub:

I own it myself. It's fantastic, truly one of, if not the best built keyboards I have owned. Unfortunately, they're Brown switches, however, they're very similar to Black, just with a more tactile feedback when the switch actually actuates.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

All these other people and their peasant mechanical keyboards. ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Filco-Majestouch-2-Tactile-Action-Keyboard/dp/B006TTL2PI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433082251&sr=8-2&keywords=filco 

Filco.  :wub:

I own it myself. It's fantastic, truly one of, if not the best built keyboards I have owned. Unfortunately, they're Brown switches, however, they're very similar to Black, just with a more tactile feedback when the switch actually actuates.

To be honest this is almost exactly what I was looking for :D. Just a little cheaper! xD. It looks really nice

To be honest this is almost exactly what I was looking for :D. Just a little cheaper! xD. It looks really nice

Yeah, you really do pay a premium for Filco keyboards. :(

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

What switch do you really want though? I suggest looking at the link and my sig and quoting or tagging me after you've taken the quiz in there as that will help us get a lead on a nice keyboard.

Also, be creative and different and don't buy a K70 RGB :)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

What switch do you really want though? I suggest looking at the link and my sig and quoting or tagging me after you've taken the quiz in there as that will help us get a lead on a nice keyboard.

Also, be creative and different and don't buy a K70 RGB :)

Wasn't planning on getting the K70 in the first place tbh, but thought I'd take a look anyway due to the suggestion.

Your quiz looks great! I love scratch projects - thanks for making it!

I took it, and got Cherry MX Black. In regards to the tactile bump, I don't really know what it feels like, so I clicked linear.

@STRMfrmXMN

Wasn't planning on getting the K70 in the first place tbh, but thought I'd take a look anyway due to the suggestion.

Your quiz looks great! I love scratch projects - thanks for making it!

I took it, and got Cherry MX Black. In regards to the tactile bump, I don't really know what it feels like, so I clicked linear.

@STRMfrmXMN

Tactile bumps are little feelings of resistance, for lack of a better word, against you about halfway down the key press. Feels wonderful while typing IMO and some people like the confirmative bump while gaming.

Also, to tag somebody, don't copy-paste their username as that just creates a hyperlink and doesn't tag them :P For the record, my name is Storm From X-Men with no vowels xD

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Tactile bumps are little feelings of resistance, for lack of a better word, against you about halfway down the key press. Feels wonderful while typing IMO and some people like the confirmative bump while gaming.

Also, to tag somebody, don't copy-paste their username as that just creates a hyperlink and doesn't tag them :P For the record, my name is Storm From X-Men with no vowels xD

xD. I just couldn't be bothered to type out your name so I copy pasted it :P.

I;ll have to go down to my local store and check out the different types of switches.

I'm looking for a keyboard similar to the Filco which I can change the caps on to make it personal :D

xD. I just couldn't be bothered to type out your name so I copy pasted it :P.

I;ll have to go down to my local store and check out the different types of switches.

I'm looking for a keyboard similar to the Filco which I can change the caps on to make it personal :D

You can change caps on damn near any Cherry MX board. I suggest getting one with a standard layout to make things easiest for yourself. Check out WASDkeyboards.com as they can make a totally custom, standard layout keyboard of any Cherry MX switch type with o-rings if you specify that.

You can change caps on damn near any Cherry MX board. I suggest getting one with a standard layout to make things easiest for yourself. Check out WASDkeyboards.com as they can make a totally custom, standard layout keyboard of any Cherry MX switch type with o-rings if you specify that.

Was planning on using WASDkeyboards but since I'm not in the US, shipping either costs a fortune, or takes 1-5 weeks...

Any other good places to buy a keyboard and caps? @STRMfromXMN

Was planning on using WASDkeyboards but since I'm not in the US, shipping either costs a fortune, or takes 1-5 weeks...

Any other good places to buy a keyboard and caps? @STRMfromXMN

Tsk... I honestly don't know as I live in the US and everything is pretty attainable here. I think you're on your own my friend, but hope I at least helped out!