Looking for a 1-2k (Aus) Gaming pc to build up on.

Hello, I am Alex from Australia, i am looking for a 1-2k (Aus) gaming pc to better as time goes on and i need a bit of help doing so, as i am newish to the pc building community and plan to make a hobby out of it in the future. It would be great if you could help me out on my journey!

I was thinking:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)

Graphics Card: MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition Graphics Card with Triple Overvoltage and Enhanced PWM Design (N660TI PE 2GD5/OC)

SSD: Intel® SSD 530 Series (180GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 20nm, MLC):
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHZ (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory CMY16GX3M2A1866C9
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3TB hard drive
A Z series motherboard

I also need help finding a suitable/cheap power supply, Cooling Systems and a case to hold it all in.

I am not looking for custom water cooling just yet and i currently play on an ASUS F450J laptop so help would mean alot :D.

Thanks!

What games are you going to be playing?

And is there any particular reason why you picked older parts?

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

What games are you going to be playing?

And is there any particular reason why you picked older parts?

I am looking to play cs:go at 720 to 1080p and not really apart from the fact that i want to build up to a nicer pc as a hobby, any recommendations?

I am looking to play cs:go at 720 to 1080p and not really apart from the fact that i want to build up to a nicer pc as a hobby, any recommendations?

What other games do you plan to play..CS:GO isn't that intensive. You don't want a build that can play that one game fine and not have enough GPU power for others to be played smoothly.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

snip

The parts you listed are old parts, the CPU a generation old and GPU 3 generations old. They will not perform well.

THis build might be more of what you should be looking for, you could drop the overclockability of it to make it cheaper to maybe a less powerful GPU but that will run pretty much anything at high on 1080

What other games do you plan to play..CS:GO isn't that intensive. You don't want a build that can play that one game fine and not have enough GPU power for others to be played smoothly.

Im also looking to use it for recording, editing etc. I do also play other steam games e.g. gmod but cs:go is definitely the most important atm, thanks! 

With a 2k budget you get a very good computer for that amount of money that will max any game at 1080p

But if you want to spend as little money as possible and still be able to upgrade it in the future when needed I would recommend a new and strong CPU something like a 4690k so it can be overclocked in future. If you're only going to be playing cs:go then you could get away with a relatively cheap GPU like a 270 or 270x 

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

The parts you listed are old parts, the CPU a generation old and GPU 3 generations old. They will not perform well.

THis build might be more of what you should be looking for, you could drop the overclockability of it to make it cheaper to maybe a less powerful GPU but that will run pretty much anything at high on 1080

Thanks for the advice as i am kind of new, im guessing the build you are talking about is your current build?

4690K + Decent Zboard (depends on what features your wanna use (m2.SSD support and such), or upgrade with later on) Z97-K for single GPU use, or the Z97-SOC for DualGPU+OC'ing.

16GB of DDR3 considering your editing.

For absolute powerhouse and future playability on future titles,...GTX 970/R9-290X depending on what GPU ecosystem you prefer. (If only focused on CS:GO, the GTX 750Ti/AMD-270)

256GB SSD for Windows, 1TB 7200rpm for Games. <-- or a better combination, up to you.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

With a 2k budget you get a very good computer for that amount of money that will max any game at 1080p

But if you want to spend as little money as possible and still be able to upgrade it in the future when needed I would recommend a new and strong CPU something like a 4690k so it can be overclocked in future. If you're only going to be playing cs:go then you could get away with a relatively cheap GPU like a 270 or 270x 

Im not looking to use minimal money as possible as i have a sort of open budget and the 4690k does sound like a good option over the 270's as i am going to use it as an editing station aswell, thanks!

Thanks for the advice as i am kind of new, im guessing the build you are talking about is your current build?

lol. Erm sorry, I forgot to paste it in for some reason.

Here you go

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($319.00 @ CPL Online) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($142.00 @ IJK) 
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($89.00 @ CPL Online) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($329.00 @ Umart) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($83.00 @ IJK) 
Total: $1374.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-31 20:22 AEST+1000

^Maybe bump that to 16GB too..

Most GPUs can provide a nice speed boost to your encodes if your editing program can use GPU-assisted encoding technologies.

This will work nicely and still has some budget left over in case you want more storage or you want a different case, it's completely up to you.

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($369.00 @ PCCaseGear) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($125.00 @ Mwave Australia) 

Total: $1637.00

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-31 20:26 AEST+1000

4690K + Decent Zboard (depends on what features your wanna use (m2.SSD support and such), or upgrade with later on) Z97-K for single GPU use, or the Z97-SOC for DualGPU+OC'ing.

16GB of DDR3 considering your editing.

For absolute powerhouse and future playability on future titles,...GTX 970/R9-290X depending on what GPU ecosystem you prefer. (If only focused on CS:GO, the GTX 750Ti/AMD-270)

256GB SSD for Windows, 1TB 7200rpm for Games. <-- or a better combination, up to you.

I think i will be going for a single gpu at the moment and eventually upgrade to 2, the ram i think is solid for what i need and i might go for a GTX 970 over a 750 as they are well known in the community and have an overall better performance (as i am not solely going for cs:go).

I will try and find a nice/inexpensive 256GB SSD and i will look into my hard drive aswell, Thanks!

lol. Erm sorry, I forgot to paste it in for some reason.

Here you go

Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($89.00 @ CPL Online) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($329.00 @ Umart) 
Total: $1374.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-31 20:22 AEST+1000

All G, Thanks! :D btw is that SSD doing well? I could eventually get dual ram sticks as well.

I think i will be going for a single gpu at the moment and eventually upgrade to 2, the ram i think is solid for what i need and i might go for a GTX 970 over a 750 as they are well known in the community and have an overall better performance (as i am not solely going for cs:go).

I will try and find a nice/inexpensive 256GB SSD and i will look into my hard drive aswell, Thanks!

Steer clear of the Kingston V300 series SSD's. (Google Kingston V300 bait n switch) They use shit flash and top out at around 220/100 speeds IF that.

They didnt even tell anyone they switched to cheap flash,.. didn't re-advertise.

Anything else tho is pretty much fine.

Steer clear of the Kingston V300 series SSD's. (Google Kingston V300 bait n switch) They use shit flash and top out at around 220/100 speeds IF that.

They didnt even tell anyone they switched to cheap flash,.. didn't re-advertise.

Anything else tho is pretty much fine.

Thanks for the advice, i surely would of fell for it :D.

Thanks for the advice, i surely would of fell for it :D.

Type into google search

"Kingston Fury 256GB Review"

Or any other part for that matter,.. use the word review,.. and good results should show up.

^Taken from older post..

Seems the Fury has pretty slow write speeds with good read speeds...250-300Mb/s write...., however in real world use you may not notice... But IMO, I'd prefer SSD's with as close to 550/500 read and write as possible.

The HyperX is a great SSD tho, and only 'slightly' more expensive (getting what you paid for tho) and hits topend speeds..

Most SSD's SHOULD be maximizing the Sata3 spec, touching 550/500 read and write, choose an ssd like this and your fine.

Google

Manufacturer+Model+Review and compare if need be.

Possibly have a look at this SSD comparison site - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/65

Type into google search

"Kingston Fury 256GB Review"

Or any other part for that matter,.. use the word review,.. and good results should show up.

^Taken from older post..

Seems the Fury has pretty slow write speeds with good read speeds...250-300Mb/s write...., however in real world use you may not notice... But IMO, I'd prefer SSD's with as close to 550/500 read and write as possible.

The HyperX is a great SSD tho, and only 'slightly' more expensive (getting what you paid for tho) and hits topend speeds..

Most SSD's SHOULD be maximizing the Sata3 spec, touching 550/500 read and write, choose an ssd like this and your fine.

Google

Manufacturer+Model+Review and compare if need be.

Possibly have a look at this SSD comparison site - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/65

Thanks i think i will go for a 240GB Kingston Hyperx Fury in Toxicables design as it seems to reach the 500's with maybe a few other changes, Thanks!

AMD 300 series should be right around the corner so maybe wait a month or two for that? Otherwise, your specs should be fine, other than looking at a newer GPU, a R9 280x, 290 or GTX 960 will do you fine here. Also seriously dont worry about having a CPU 1-2 generations old, there really isnt that much difference between a few gens. Heck, i'm using a i5-2400 and it's perfectly fine.

EDIT: go with an SSD of around 256GB. If you want reliability, Intel (legendary in this case) or Samsung are your way to go. Take a look at the 730 series for Intel and the 850 EVO for Samsung.

EDIT2: Also if you go with an AMD card, for the love of god make sure it has an aftermarket cooler

AMD 300 series should be right around the corner so maybe wait a month or two for that? Otherwise, your specs should be fine, other than looking at a newer GPU, a R9 280x, 290 or GTX 960 will do you fine here. Also seriously dont worry about having a CPU 1-2 generations old, there really isnt that much difference between a few gens. Heck, i'm using a i5-2400 and it's perfectly fine.

Thanks but i think i might stick with an intel but i will watch a review of a 300 when it comes out and then maybe invest in one if i feel to do so, i think i will go ahead with a GTX 970 and a 4690k and i have a friend running on an i34160 ;) feel yourself lucky :D

EDIT: go with an SSD of around 256GB. If you want reliability, Intel (legendary in this case) or Samsung are your way to go. Take a look at the 730 series for Intel and the 850 EVO for Samsung.

EDIT2: Also if you go with an AMD card, for the love of god make sure it has an aftermarket cooler

will do, Thanks :D

will do, Thanks :D

IMO steer clear of the Samsung EVO series and the bugs present that have been already talked about on various sites.

(Google Samsung Evo bug) - http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Samsung-840-840-EVO-susceptible-flash-read-speed-degradation-over-time

Even if its fixed,.. they said that before, and it happened again.

I'd just steer clear of EVO's and choose another Samsung PRO SSD if you MUST have a Samsung one, Pro's do not have this issue.

Or just not buy a Samsung and get an SSD without known issues.

IMO steer clear of the Samsung EVO series and the bugs present that have been already talked about on various sites.

(Google Samsung Evo bug) - http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Samsung-840-840-EVO-susceptible-flash-read-speed-degradation-over-time

Even if its fixed,.. they said that before, and it happened again.

I'd just steer clear of EVO's and choose another Samsung PRO SSD if you MUST have a Samsung one, Pro's do not have this issue.

Or just not buy a Samsung and get an SSD without known issues.

Im not looking for just a samsung i think its either an Intel or a Kingston Fury, Thanks for the tip!