write speed drop off significantly

Kieferp5
Go to solution Solved by Mattrixx,

so i copied a large file from my SSD Samsung evo 480 250gb, latest firmware to a hdd WD 1tb and the write speed drop from 700 MB/s to around 35 MB/s writing to the SSD from the same drive hovers around 150 MB/s. both drives are hooked to the motherboards SATA III ports. wasn't sure its its just because

its a hdd or there is something wrong.

Motherboard: Asus X99 Ultimate

UEFI: 1702

PSU 850 watt rosewill photon

Graphics card: PNY GForce GT 610 Rev. A1

CPU: Intel 5820K Hex-core over clocked to 3.7Ghz

RAM: Corsair Quad-channel 16gb kit @ 3000 Mhz

SSD set to max performance with RAPID enabled

All sata set to AHCI

i realize theses are synthetic but attached is the benchmark from Samsung Magician.

attachicon.gifSamsung Magic benchmark.jpg

Thanks

Most likely the HDD slowing things up. BTW, if you do have an 840 EVO drive, make sure to update the firmware and use Samsung's tool thing they have going on. The 840 EVOs had a few issues with old data having slower and slower read times.

EDIT: Didn't see the "latest firmware". You're staying on top of your stuff!  ;)

EDIT v2: 150 MB/s read from a HDD is normal (a tad high even), and 35 MB/s write isn't crazy slow for a HDD.

so i copied a large file from my SSD Samsung evo 480 250gb, latest firmware to a hdd WD 1tb and the write speed drop from 700 MB/s to around 35 MB/s writing to the SSD from the same drive hovers around 150 MB/s. both drives are hooked to the motherboards SATA III ports. wasn't sure its its just because

All sata set to AHCI

i realize theses are synthetic but attached is the benchmark from Samsung Magician.

Thanks

post-231700-0-20175000-1433043009_thumb.

If you are copying files between hard drive and SSD of course you will be bottlenecked by the speed of the hard drive.

All sata set to AHCI

attachicon.gifSamsung Magic benchmark.jpg

Thanks

Most likely the HDD slowing things up. BTW, if you do have an 840 EVO drive, make sure to update the firmware and use Samsung's tool thing they have going on. The 840 EVOs had a few issues with old data having slower and slower read times.

EDIT: Didn't see the "latest firmware". You're staying on top of your stuff!  ;)

EDIT v2: 150 MB/s read from a HDD is normal (a tad high even), and 35 MB/s write isn't crazy slow for a HDD.

I don't do signatures.

that's what i though, but this is my first time having all my dives in SATA III before the HDDs were in an enclosure hooked up through USA 2.0.

that's what i though, but this is my first time having all my dives in SATA III before the HDDs were in an enclosure hooked up through USA 2.0.

Ahh i see lol. All seems well then!

For future reference posting in the forums, remember to follow your own topics and quote replies so you and the person you're responding to gets notified. Welcome to the Forums!

I don't do signatures.

Ahh i see lol. All seems well then!

For future reference posting in the forums, remember to follow your own topics and quote replies so you and the person you're responding to gets notified. Welcome to the Forums!

ok, thank you for the tip