How to setup RAID?

JaZoN_XD
Go to solution Solved by itachipirate,

Yeah, that's the thing. For me, the intel controller tells you to press ctrl+I to go into the raid menu. But since I dont want to set up raid, i just leave it and let it continue. It gets to the "starting windows" animation for about a second and does a REALLY quick BSOD looking thing (the words on the screen for that split second seems like a different font than standard BSODs) and it would reboot.

that's because you probably installed windows on AHCI. AFAIK you'll have to reinstall windows to switch controller modes. (Not sure about that sorry)

I watched Linus's and other videos about setting up a RAID array, but I have one question: You have to change the controller from AHCI to RAID so you can setup an RAID array with say... 2 SSDs right?

After you setup the RAID and it starts rebooting, do you keep the controller set to RAID or change it back to AHCI?

I don't have 2 SSDs to try this with but when I tried to set the controller to RAID and then let my HDD boot without making it into a RAID array with another HDD, it blue screened and reset, repeating process all over again.

SORRY FOR MY IGNORANCE!

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

I watched Linus's and other videos about setting up a RAID array, but I have one question: You have to change the controller from AHCI to RAID so you can setup an RAID array with say... 2 SSDs right?

After you setup the RAID and it starts rebooting, do you keep the controller set to RAID or change it back to AHCI?

I don't have 2 SSDs to try this with but when I tried to set the controller to RAID and then let my HDD boot without making it into a RAID array with another HDD, it blue screened and reset, repeating process all over again.

SORRY FOR MY IGNORANCE!

You can set the controller to RAID, then you open a RAID config menu to assign tasks to each specific drive. You leave the controller set to RAID but you just don't assign any task to the hard drive if you don't want it to be part of an array. You then chose your two SSDs and assign the task you want for them

Controller set to RAID always, don't assign a task to the HDD you don't to RAID. It will still show up and work fine, I do something similar except I use 3 hard drives. 1 by itself, and 2 in RAID 0

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

You can set the controller to RAID, then you open a RAID config menu to assign tasks to each specific drive. You leave the controller set to RAID but you just don't assign any task to the hard drive if you don't want it to be part of an array. You then chose your two SSDs and assign the task you want for them

Controller set to RAID always, don't assign a task to the HDD you don't to RAID. It will still show up and work fine, I do something similar except I use 3 hard drives. 1 by itself, and 2 in RAID 0

How do I set the HDD to no task?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

How do I set the HDD to no task?

It's different for each RAID interface, for me I just didn't do anything to it in the RAID config menu

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

It's different for each RAID interface, for me I just didn't do anything to it in the RAID config menu

So you don't even press control+I when it boots up?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

So you don't even press control+I when it boots up?

No I think mine is ctrl+f or something. I have an AMD motherboard

No I think mine is ctrl+f or something. I have an AMD motherboard

Yeah, that's the thing. For me, the intel controller tells you to press ctrl+I to go into the raid menu. But since I dont want to set up raid, i just leave it and let it continue. It gets to the "starting windows" animation for about a second and does a REALLY quick BSOD looking thing (the words on the screen for that split second seems like a different font than standard BSODs) and it would reboot.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

that's because you probably installed windows on AHCI. AFAIK you'll have to reinstall windows to switch controller modes. (Not sure about that sorry)

ahhh, i see. Thanks! I wasnt going to set up raid anyway, but this is good to know!

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

ahhh, i see. Thanks! I wasnt going to set up raid anyway, but this is good to know!

Actually you'd only have to make a small change in the registry before changing from AHCI to RAID in BIOS, then there'll be no BSOD.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

Actually you'd only have to make a small change in the registry before changing from AHCI to RAID in BIOS, then there'll be no BSOD.

do you happen to know what those changes may be?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

do you happen to know what those changes may be?

Not from memory, but a quick google search led me to this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1227636/how-to-change-sata-modes-after-windows-installation

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

Not from memory, but a quick google search led me to this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1227636/how-to-change-sata-modes-after-windows-installation

This is really helpful, thanks a lot!

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler