Upgrading existing build,

Shane Martin

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone could have a look over my planned upgrade to my system. Currently I'm running:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE

Gigabyte GA-78MLT-S2P Bios version F3

8GB Corsair XMS3 ram

Sapphire HD 7850 2GB OC edition

1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

OCZ OCZ600MXSP-UK ModXstream Pro 600w PSU

Noctua NH-D14 cpu cooler

Zalman Z11 case.

This is what I'm thinking of upgrading to:

AMD FX-8350

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3

Crucial CT128M4SSD 128GB M4 SSD for boot drive

2x Seagate 3TB 7200 rpm Sata 3 hdd.

Kingston HyperX 1600mhz 8GB (2X4)

Corsair AX750 modular 80 plus gold psu.

I'll wait for the new gpu's to come out to upgrade the 7850, doesn't seem viable to me to upgrade it when new gpu's are in the pipeline.

I know for the price I could of gone for the I5-3570k but I'm more familiar with AMD set-ups and overclocking, but not a fan boy, as I see it it depends on what you want the system to do.

Thinking the planned upgrade would be a viable gaming platform, even though most games would not run on all 8 'cores' but only utilize between 2-4.

Thanks for the helps guys,

Shane

AMD FX-8350

My only comments would be your PSU storage and old parts. Do you really need 6.12 TB of storage?

With your PSU - you could drop that to a 600w and still be fine, I really like the Silverstone Striders; well built and fully modular yet a good price tags ($110-$150).

Your RAM isn't my personal choice neither are a few other components but they are still good though why not keep your old parts? Your RAM and HDD are both perfectly fine (assuming that's a 7.2k drive).

Yeah the 1tb hdd is a 7.2k drive, was going to do a raid with the two 3tb drives for games and applications ect.

I was looking at the Silverstone Stryders, but since I live in the U.K and only really buy thing's off amazon.co.uk since i get free next day delivery they aren't available with amazon themselves, only independent sellers.

I guess I could always keep the psu and ram I have now and wait until new processors and gpu's come out later this year, but I'm getting crashes in Far Cry 3 ect and tried everything to fix things like drivers and settings and it'll still crash, hence why I've decided to upgrade.

Thanks for replying anyway mate, much appreciated!

You won't need a 990 mobo unless you're going for more than 2-way Xfire :P

One thing the 965's can't run well is Assassin's creed 3. Since I don't play that anymore I would dump all of my budget in a 7970 and an SSD.

Erm.. If you want to spend 650 bucks on the new 8XXX series, please do- AMD needs your money.

I think I have the flu...

Ahh you never know, AMD might have a little nest egg somewhere.

See i would stick with the 965 as per core it's properly managed, something the piledriver-based cpu's are not.

So stick with the 965, get an ssd, get a 7970, what motherboard should I look at getting then.

And there's me toying with the idea of going the intel way but don't want to be seen as a traitor (Plus I've heard rumours of poor t.i.m application on the i.h.s)

Hmmm decisions decisions....

Hope you feel better mate

I would just buy an SSD and your 2 HDD's if you really want them.

Haswell is in the not so distant future and your CPU is perfectly capable of 99% of games on the market and so is your GPU.

Unless something is wrong with your PSU it will be fine for your next build also. I wouldn't buy a new one.

Google and download the TLB bug fix for an extra 10% out of your Phenom II also. Helps quite a bit when doing CPU intensive things. IE When I stream BF3 at 1080P instead of 95%-100% I sit around 80-90%

Save up some more money and maybe when Haswell is released so are the new GPU's and you can buy both at once and sell your old stuff.

If you haven't already you can easily OC the 965 to 3.8-4 Ghz CPU is way more then capable of Far Cry 3.

Isn't the TLB bug fix for the original phenom's and not the phenom II's, because I'm sure I can remember that the problem was with caching on the older phenom's which were fixed with the new phenom II's?