Installing two different OSes on different hard drives.

Fortress

Hello there. I'm planning to try out a Linux distribution called Elementary OS. But I was wondering, can I skip the hassle of dual-booting if I install Elementary OS on a separate hard drive? I don't want to stress myself because you have to install the Linux distribution first before installing Windows, and I don't want to do that. Help would be appreciated. 

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)

If you have a (fast) USB-stick that has enough GB and a (fast) port (or use DVD or something) you can run the OS from that

Wi RoZ

Hello there. I'm planning to try out a Linux distribution called Elementary OS. But I was wondering, can I skip the hassle of dual-booting if I install Elementary OS on a separate hard drive? I don't want to stress myself because you have to install the Linux distribution first before installing Windows, and I don't want to do that. Help would be appreciated. 

you'll avoid many of the headaches, but you will still need a bootloader installed on whichever disk is the BIOS primary boot device

Otherwise, how would you choose which OS you wanted on startup?

If you are dual-booting elementary OS and windows, install windows first (or if it's already installed, then that's fine as well), then elementary second. The installer will detect windows and configure itself accordingly. Windows isn't so smart.

You can install windows first.  Linux will autodetect your windows install, and partition appropriately.  Plus installing on separate drives involves a LOT of hassle, and is something I would not recommend to a beginner.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

technically possible, but the only way I can think to do it is by going old school. Have your boot priority with the option of one drive like normal, but have two different autoexec.bat files directing it to the appropriate OS. As long as you can direct it to the appropriate autoexec file, then it won't matter where your OS is.

If you are dual-booting elementary OS and windows, install windows first (or if it's already installed, then that's fine as well), then elementary second. The installer will detect windows and configure itself accordingly. Windows isn't so smart.

I may have to give this a try. I'll post the outcome later.

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)

What about virtual machines?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

technically possible, but the only way I can think to do it is by going old school. Have your boot priority with the option of one drive like normal, but have two different autoexec.bat files directing it to the appropriate OS. As long as you can direct it to the appropriate autoexec file, then it won't matter where your OS is.

You can install something like grub or grub2 (default bootloaders for just about every linux distro). Both are perfectly capable of booting any OS across multiple drives and partitions. 

You can also use EasyBCD to reconfigure the windows bootloader to detect other OS. It's just not as good as the counterparts above.

Not sure where you're getting the autoexec.bat scripts from.

You can install something like grub or grub2 (default bootloaders for just about every linux distro). Both are perfectly capable of booting any OS across multiple drives and partitions. 

You can also use EasyBCD to reconfigure the windows bootloader to detect other OS. It's just not as good as the counterparts above.

Not sure where you're getting the autoexec.bat scripts from.

I'm 35 years old. I grew up having to write them, and config.sys to get anything to run that required the first 256Kb of ram.

They're pretty much ignored nowadays, but it's still the first file on any disk to execute.

You can install windows first.  Linux will autodetect your windows install, and partition appropriately.  Plus installing on separate drives involves a LOT of hassle, and is something I would not recommend to a beginner.

I'm currently typing this through the Live CD. I haven't installed it yet. It did detect that I have a Windows installation but when I click the Install Alongside Windows, it detects my 500GB external hard drive, not my main 1TB drive, where Windows is installed. When I unplug the external hard drive, it still detects that I have Windows installed but only gives out the Delete everything option. Help?

What? No it doesn't! And it is perfectly fine for a beginner to do.

I'm currently typing this through the Live CD. I haven't installed it yet. It did detect that I have a Windows installation but when I click the Install Alongside Windows, it detects my 500GB external hard drive, not my main 1TB drive, where Windows is installed. When I unplug the external hard drive, it still detects that I have Windows installed but only gives out the Delete everything option. Help?

You want Linux and Windows on two separate drives, right? If so, to do that plug your Windows drive in and go through the installation until you get to the selection screen. You want to select "Something else" and find the drive you want Linux on, not the Windows one.

Anyways, as for your problem and if you really want to install alongside Windows: what BIOS settings do you have enabled/disabled? Do you have secure boot on and what is the boot mode set to? Did you get any errors or anything when you put the Ubuntu disc in or when you started the installation process?

edit

damn it, posted without finishing post. hold on let me finish this up real quick

edit2

there haha

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

yeah you can do that. to be doubly sure the linux installation doesn't mess with the windows drive, remove the windows drive during installation. install both when you are done and they should play nicely after that.

good luck!

What? No it doesn't! And it is perfectly fine for a beginner to do.

K not a ton of hassle, but he has to decide whether he wants to use GRUB or the Windows bootloader.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

you'll avoid many of the headaches, but you will still need a bootloader installed on whichever disk is the BIOS primary boot device

Otherwise, how would you choose which OS you wanted on startup?

Technically you wouldn't need a bootloader, you could just select the drive you wanted everytime you startup. 

But I get where your coming from :)

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Most modern Mainboards enable you to chose a boot device at start by pressing a button (f8, f9 or f11, etc...)

So that should work just fine.

Otherwise just install windows first and then your Linux Distribution of choice. The Linux boot manager (Mostly Grub2 this days) will then boot into whatever you want.

Its pretty easy if you don't do exotic things like encrypting everything.

Simplest way to do this, is before you install your second OS go into BIOS and disable all other hard disks apart from the one which you wish to install your second OS on..

This way niether Os will know the other and you can use the bois boot from option to pick which disk/Os you boot from.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----