Game Hosting Server Build.

Hello,

I am in the process of moving all of my Private TF2, Minecraft UnModded and Minecraft Modded servers from a hosting company onto a Server computer that I will be running at home so I will be able to turn those Private servers into Public ones without having to spends a lot of money. I have a budget of just under £600 (excluding peripherals such as Monitors), I have a list of hardware I think will fit the needs of a network that will be growing in the future.

CPUS: 2x Intel Xeon X5660 6-Core 2.80GHz Processor (http://ark.intel.com/products/47921/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5660-12M-Cache-2_80-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI)

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X8DAL-i-O Dual LGA 1366http://www.supermicro.co.uk/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DAL-i.cfm)

Ram: 2x Hynix 16GB (4x 4GB) PC3-10600 DDR3-1333MHz ECC Registered HMT151R7BFR4C-H9 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hynix-16GB-4x-4GB-PC3-10600-DDR3-1333MHz-ECC-Registered-HMT151R7BFR4C-H9-/231552157750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e9958836)

Operating System: Windows 7 64bit (Own already) 

Boot Drive: Kingston SSDNow V300 2.5" 120GB SATA III Solid State Drive (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kingston-SSDNow-V300-2-5-120GB-SATA-III-Solid-State-Drive-/381078574900?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58ba0d9734)

Drive for Mc(Minecraft) Servers: Kingston SSDNow V300 2.5" 120GB SATA III Solid State Drive (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kingston-SSDNow-V300-2-5-120GB-SATA-III-Solid-State-Drive-/381078574900?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58ba0d9734)

Drive for TF2: Kingston SSDNow V+200 2.5" 90GB SATA III Solid State Drive SSD SVP200S3/90G (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kingston-SSDNow-V-200-2-5-90GB-SATA-III-Solid-State-Drive-SSD-SVP200S3-90G-/221540277146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3394d45b9a)

Drive for other applications/data: WD Green Desktop 1TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive  (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WD-Green-Desktop-1TB-SATA-III-3-5-Hard-Drive-IntelliPowerrpm-64MB-Cache-/381065618301?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58b947e37d)

I think this server is slightly overkill but I'd like to know if I could do better, I won't settle for anything but Xeon processors as they are reliable. WIll it run 7+ Minecraft servers and a TF2 server with ease?

Thanks,

Cpt. Kalabraxo

This is a very bad idea.

Minecraft and TF2 servers don't need Xeon's. They chug along happy on i3's. The important part is your upload speed. Running a server on consumer internet is doomed to fail for anything serious. And, 8 servers? Forget about it.

Just buy a dedicated FTP online and run several from that.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Nope.

Each MC server should have atleast 2gb dedicated to it, Preferibly 3gb. I would recommend atleast 24gb RAM for it, And the OS should have 2gb left to work with.

It would work but the players would not have a great time since they would run out of RAM.

Personally i think it is better to get several lower end systems for servers than a single high end system.

A minecraft server would run fine on a AMD athlon 5350 with 4gb of ram on Linux, It would be about 200 bucks, If it has 8gb of RAM it could probably handle 2 minecraft servers, Or 3 if you only have between 2 and 5 people online on each server and they are pretty close to eachother.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

No point in using windows for a sever you might as well use Linux.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

This is a very bad idea.

Minecraft and TF2 servers don't need Xeon's. They chug along happy on i3's. The important part is your upload speed. Running a server on consumer internet is doomed to fail for anything serious. And, 8 servers? Forget about it.

Just buy a dedicated FTP online and run several from that.

I don't like using Processors that are not meant for 24/7 up-time, and I'm not using Consumer grade internet ether so where you got that from is beyond me. I have had a bad experience with company's that state that they are good at what they are doing, plus I don't want to pay more than what I am getting and I want this idea to be a learning curve for me as I am less experienced in things such as running servers. 

Nope.

Each MC server should have atleast 2gb dedicated to it, Preferibly 3gb. I would recommend atleast 24gb RAM for it, And the OS should have 2gb left to work with.

It would work but the players would not have a great time since they would run out of RAM.

Personally i think it is better to get several lower end systems for servers than a single high end system.

A minecraft server would run fine on a AMD athlon 5350 with 4gb of ram on Linux, It would be about 200 bucks, If it has 8gb of RAM it could probably handle 2 minecraft servers.

As I said I am not happy about using processors that are not meant for 24/7 up-time, I am assuming you didn't read my post though, I am using 32GB's of ram as each server will have at lest 4GB's of ram. Though I understand your point about getting multiple lower end systems but I just think it's more of a hassle than one high end system with the compute performance of all several low end Pc's in one.

No point in using windows for a sever you might as well use Linux.

Yeah I think I'll go Linux Ubuntu, don't know what went though my mind when I thought using windows 7 as a OS was a good idea.

As I said I am not happy about using processors that are not meant for 24/7 up-time, I am assuming you didn't read my post though, I am using 32GB's of ram as each server will have at lest 4GB's of ram. Though I understand your point about getting multiple lower end systems but I just think it's more of a hassle than one high end system with the compute performance of all several low end Pc's in one.

Sorry, I did not see the "2x" in front of the RAM, It would handle pretty much anything you can throw at it with 32gb of RAM.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer