Uni Build

So I'm considering going with a small pc build for uni when I head out in September. Here's what I have so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£49.57 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£56.06 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£70.49 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£32.40 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£281.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Silverstone ML07B HTPC Case (£51.00 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (£61.80 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £342.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-25 11:22 BST+0100

To make it clear ​the RAM, storage and GPU are being scavenged from my current build.

My main queries are:

• Should I get an aftermarket cpu cooler or will the stock cooler be good enough from a noise perspective? (I don't plan on overclocking)
  • Will the components (namely the gpu) fit in the case?
  • Are there any areas I can save money? I was thinking the power supply if possible since I don't need so much power..
  • Are there any to be released products within the next couple of months that have better performance/value that I should keep my eye on? (Namely, the cpu and case)
  • Oh and if there's another case with similar dimensions that can fit 1 ssd and 2 hdds that'd be awesome.

1. If you don't plan on overclocking, don't get a k series CPU

2. Yes, the GPU will fit in the case (I think)

1. If you don't plan on overclocking, don't get a k series CPU

2. Yes, the GPU will fit in the case (I think)

Ty. What's the difference between the k and non-k version from an oc perspective? Is it just that non-k can't be oc'ed?

Ty. What's the difference between the k and non-k version from an oc perspective? Is it just that non-k can't be oc'ed?

mm hmm

The non-k cpus have a lock on the multiplier so you can only change the base clock. I think Intel also provides some sort of warranty/insurance from frying the CPU by OCing too high on the k series. Basically, if you want to OC, get a k CPU, if not, get something cheaper like a 4460 or 4590. The windforce card is quite big, but I think PCPartPicker has an inbuilt compatibility checker.

The non-k cpus have a lock on the multiplier so you can only change the base clock. I think Intel also provides some sort of warranty/insurance from frying the CPU by OCing too high on the k series. Basically, if you want to OC, get a k CPU, if not, get something cheaper like a 4460 or 4590. The windforce card is quite big, but I think PCPartPicker has an inbuilt compatibility checker.

Ty. I may oc it in a few years once I'm done needing the really small form factor for uni but I'll consider that.

Yeah I'm aware of the size of the Windforce but I'd rather use that for the next ~3 years rather than my reference 650 ti. :P

Regarding the built-in compatibility checker - supposedly it isn't always accurate, hence why I'm asking here for confirmation. :)

From the spec's.. 

MAXIMUM VIDEO CARD LENGTH

330mm

Grab a cooler and stick with the k if you have the funds, Be a monster performer if you can fit in an AIO or decent air-cooler. Although you'll have to change the board to z97 / H97(some options only IIRC) if you want to overclock.

If you don't have the funds to get a cooler and the higher chipset, then grab a non-k chip.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

From the spec's.. 

MAXIMUM VIDEO CARD LENGTH

330mm

Grab a cooler and stick with the k if you have the funds, Be a monster performer if you can fit in an AIO or decent air-cooler. Although you'll have to change the board to z97 / H97(some options only IIRC) if you want to overclock.

If you don't have the funds to get a cooler and the higher chipset, then grab a non-k chip.

Suggested board and cooler?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650xxxb9

Get this, it's better and semi-modular

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

Oh sorry, didn't notice it had to be SFX!

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W