Surge Protection?

Go to solution Solved by GeeZillion,

Hi, can someone explain to me what surge protection is, should I need it, and does it protect power supplies in storm like weather? 

it pretty much saves your pc or whatever is plugged into ti form surges so if you have a power surge it could fry your pc components my putting to much power in it so a surge protector shuts off the connection if a surge comes through so it doest wreck whats plugged in.

i dont think you need one as surges rarely happen (for me and most people i know at least) but i have a few because its better safe then sorry 

Hi, can someone explain to me what surge protection is, should I need it, and does it protect power supplies in storm like weather? 

Surge protection is for smoothing out small fluctuations that happen from time to time just due to the centuries-old electrical infrastructure of most nations, which weren't designed for today's micro-electronics, which are a lot more sensitive to electrical fluctuations than more basic electrical technology like light bulbs, which don't mind power surges so much.

It won't stop anything like a bolt of lightning. There's no equipment on the planet that can stop a lightning strike, it basically sets off a mini-EMP. And when you think about it, putting an extra step between the wall outlet and your device isn't going to stop an electrical surge so powerful it just arced across several kilometers of atmosphere. Air isn't even conductive lol. A lightning strike could literally just go around the surge protector through the air in your room if it wanted to.

it pretty much saves your pc or whatever is plugged into ti form surges so if you have a power surge it could fry your pc components my putting to much power in it so a surge protector shuts off the connection if a surge comes through so it doest wreck whats plugged in.

i dont think you need one as surges rarely happen (for me and most people i know at least) but i have a few because its better safe then sorry 

I want to be safe, where can I buy one are they inexpensive or? Like this is something very new to me

@//Anton

Fucking. Hilarious.

???

I want to be safe, where can I buy one are they inexpensive or? Like this is something very new to me

No they're pretty cheap, you can get them on Amazon or at a local hardware or department store. Get a surge protector multi-plug and use it for your electronics (computer, monitors, etc.)

its pretty much just ones of those power strips that you can plug a lot of stuff into http://www.amazon.com/b?node=761520

id guess you already have some because i first got one just to be able to plug alto of stuff in then i found out it was a surge protector 

No they're pretty cheap, you can get them on Amazon or at a local hardware or department store. Get a surge protector multi-plug and use it for your electronics (computer, monitors, etc.)

thanks, is there a way to mark solved for multiple people by the way? I mean there were a few people that helped I'm not sure how to do it

Okay well I need to mark this solved and I can't do that for multiple people so if you guys are upset about the brownie points don't ask me blame the website lol