AMD fx 8120 One core?

NiteoGFX
Go to solution Solved by JamGorby,

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, hit "Windows Key + R". In the run box that pops up type "msconfig.exe" and hit enter. This should start msconfig. 

Click on the "boot" tab then click "advanced options". In the box that opens up, you'll see a tick box for "Number of processors". Normally, this should be unticked and the list-box under it should be grayed out. If you find it in any other condition, try ticking the box (if unticked) and setting the number of cores to zero and then reboot. If it doesn't allow you to set the number of cores to zero then set it to 8 and reboot. 

Heyyo,

Maybe the BIOS needs an update? Do you have the box it came in?

If not? Use Speccy to find your motherboard model. It's small, it's simple and it's free.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_speccy

From there we can go on Asus's website and find the latest BIOS for you. :)

For example, I have an Intel i7-3770k CPU in my PC. My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z68-UD7-B3. I needed to upgrade my bios to version F10 to be able to use it properly. For overclocking? I needed to upgrade my BIOS to version F11a. The reasoning behind this is my motherboard was my motherboard was a generation older than my CPU. Sometimes little things like that can make a difference. My motherboard even says "built for Intel's 2nd Generation Core Processors" (the 2000 series)yet I have a 3rd generation processor (the 3000 series).

With AMD CPUs? Same thing can happen since the CPU sockets on AMD tend to last an extra generation compared to Intel so this might be giving you an issue.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Heyyo,

If not? Use Speccy to find your motherboard model. It's small, it's simple and it's free.

For example, I have an Intel i7-3770k CPU in my PC. My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z68-UD7-B3. I needed to upgrade my bios to version F10 to be able to use it properly. For overclocking? I needed to upgrade my BIOS to version F11a. The reasoning behind this is my motherboard was my motherboard was a generation older than my CPU. Sometimes little things like that can make a difference.

With AMD CPUs? Same thing can happen since the CPU sockets on AMD tend to last an extra generation compared to Intel so this might be giving you an issue.

ill look into it momentarily

I'd definitely recommend backing your data up to a external drive. You could try refreshing Windows, if you're on 8.1. It will re-install Windows on top of itself. You will need to re-install your applications and run Windows updates quite a bit, but it leaves your data intact. Still, BACK UP before making any system changes.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

If that doesn't work, a 100% re-installation is recommended. I hope this helps and keep us informed.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Heyyo,

For example, I have an Intel i7-3770k CPU in my PC. My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z68-UD7-B3. I needed to upgrade my bios to version F10 to be able to use it properly. For overclocking? I needed to upgrade my BIOS to version F11a. The reasoning behind this is my motherboard was my motherboard was a generation older than my CPU. Sometimes little things like that can make a difference. My motherboard even says "built for Intel's 2nd Generation Core Processors" (the 2000 series)yet I have a 3rd generation processor (the 3000 series).

Motherboard is : ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. CM1855(socket942)

Motherboard is : ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. CM1855(socket942)

The latest BIOS for your PC is 1501. Have you booted into your BIOS/UEFI settings and seen what version you have now?

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

The latest BIOS for your PC is 1501. Have you booted into your BIOS/UEFI settings and seen what version you have now?

i have absolutely no idea how to find out the version

Also NiteoGFX,

Do you know if this issue has occurred since you got the PC, or if it was showing all 8 cores at one time?

Also NiteoGFX,

Do you know if this issue has occurred since you got the PC, or if it was showing all 8 cores at one time?

i didnt notice until a friend of mine mentioned he had the problem (his solution was to buy a whole new computer..)

i have absolutely no idea how to find out the version

You'd have to boot back into the BIOS. That black and blue screen that you posted screenshots from. It should tell you on the "Main" section, near date and time info.

You'd have to boot back into the BIOS. That black and blue screen that you posted screenshots from. It should tell you on the "Main" section, near date and time info.

Heh heh.. if the newest is 1501 im on 802.

How do i update a BIOS? didn't know i needed to

http://www.asus.com/us/Desktops/CM1855/HelpDesk_Download/
If any of this seems too intimidating to do, I'd recommend asking someone with more IT knowledge to help. It isn't difficult, but I understand it might seem daunting to someone who has never done this before. If you choose to proceed, the instructions on how to download your BIOS are below. After that, you'll need to reboot and go into your BIOS and if you can post pictures of the whole screen, I may be able to walk you through the menus.

Keep in mind, it may not fix your issue. At this point, we're trying to determine if this is a firmware issue (BIOS) or a software issue (Windows). Also, when updating the BIOS, it is extremely important to NOT interrupt it once you've started. Doing so can brick the computer. This is why I recommend asking for help if you don't feel comfortable,

1.) Select "Drivers and Tools"

2.) From the drop down menu, select "Others". It is at the bottom of the OS list.

3.) It will say "12 Files Found" select the "BIOS" option. The f irst download is CM1855 BIOS 1501. Click "Global" and download to the root of your C:\ or to a flash drive.

4.) You'll want to go into the BIOS at that point. I don't have a similar BIOS in front of me, so you might have to post screenshots and I'll help you navigate the menus.

BIOS updated to the current version.. Did NOT fix it.
Any more ideas?

BIOS updated to the current version.. Did NOT fix it.

Any more ideas?

Backup by making an image and try a refresh. It re-installs Windows on top of itself. Keeps your data, but a backup is an extremely good idea. Just in case it doesn't work right.

Try benchmarking the pc. Free 30 day passmark is what I use. Then download other fx 8120 benchmark results. If your benchmarks are good then the software is mis-reading the cpu.

Backup by making an image and try a refresh. It re-installs Windows on top of itself. Keeps your data, but a backup is an extremely good idea. Just in case it doesn't work right.

ok thanks

Wait, can you install cpuz and send us a screenshot of it?

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Has anyone considered core parking? OP, try running Prime95 and see if you see all of the cores running.

NOT Prime95, Aida64.

And yes, I came here to suggest core parking.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Any luck?

Since I have an ASUS board too...

A SS, try looking for this after your BIOS update, it's in the same page as you screenshared before. ; )

http://uploadir.com/u/at4tzqrf

Is not there...

Try benchmarking the pc. Free 30 day passmark is what I use. Then download other fx 8120 benchmark results. If your benchmarks are good then the software is mis-reading the cpu.

My software? windows is reading the cpu wrong?