How to system restore a pre-installed windows 7

vivacity

I have this hard drive from a old hp desktop with windows 7 on it. When I build my new pc I put the hard drive from the hp into the new pc since it had windows 7 on it. My friend had to reset the drive for the new motherboard and what not but this was a long time ago and I need to factory reset my drive again. This hard drive does not have any of the old hp software on it so I need a disk or usb drive to factory restore. I went to microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery and put my windows 7 key in there but it said I cant get the iso because this is a preinstalled key. How am I supposed to obtain the iso now inorder to factory reset? I do not have a disk so I need to use this iso on a thumb drive method. This pc doesnt have any hp software on it, only the key is from hp so what am I supposed to do? Who to contact or maybe someone here can help me?  :(

I have this hard drive from a old hp desktop with windows 7 on it. When I build my new pc I put the hard drive from the hp into the new pc since it had windows 7 on it. My friend had to reset the drive for the new motherboard and what not but this was a long time ago and I need to factory reset my drive again. This hard drive does not have any of the old hp software on it so I need a disk or usb drive to factory restore. I went to microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery and put my windows 7 key in there but it said I cant get the iso because this is a preinstalled key. How am I supposed to obtain the iso now inorder to factory reset? I do not have a disk so I need to use this iso on a thumb drive method. This pc doesnt have any hp software on it, only the key is from hp so what am I supposed to do? Who to contact or maybe someone here can help me?  :(

I assume your friend repartitioned and reformatted the hard drive when they reset it for you before? If so, then you may have lost the recovery information; as it would have most likely been stored on the hard drive itself. This has become a common place practice with pre-built systems within the last 5 years. 

I assume your friend repartitioned and reformatted the hard drive when they reset it for you before? If so, then you may have lost the recovery information; as it would have most likely been stored on the hard drive itself. This has become a common place practice with pre-built systems within the last 5 years.

Is this mean i cant restore my hard drive now?

Is this mean i cant restore my hard drive now?

all depends to be honest. If they used a legit copy of windows when they reset your hard drive for you new pc, then you just need to contact them and ask where they put the installation media and the key they used. I have doubts they used your windows key though. Or ask them if they installed a non genuine copy of windows 7 onto your pc, and then cracked the windows authentication process. If it is the latter, then you will need to buy a boxed or OEM system builder version of either windows 7 or 8.1. Preferably from a reputable physical store, or reputable online pc parts store.

all depends to be honest. If they used a legit copy of windows when they reset your hard drive for you new pc, then you just need to contact them and ask where they put the installation media and the key they used. I have doubts they used your windows key though. Or ask them if they installed a non genuine copy of windows 7 onto your pc, and then cracked the windows authentication process. If it is the latter, then you will need to buy a boxed or OEM system builder version of either windows 7 or 8.1. Preferably from a reputable physical store, or reputable online pc parts store.

On the microsoft website it says its legit but it says its a pre installed key like the ones hp puts on their pc. It tells me to contact where it came from but i dont think that could work since i dont have their software or pc anymlre

On the microsoft website it says its legit but it says its a pre installed key like the ones hp puts on their pc. It tells me to contact where it came from but i dont think that could work since i dont have their software or pc anymlre

The way HP and other companies like them mass produce pc's and laptops, means they have direct contracts with microsoft for windows keys. These keys allow them to install windows onto the products they sell, but they are not allowed to provide the DVD installation media to the end customer. This is why they put the system restore information on a partition on the main hard drive in said system. 

So just because you have a legit key, and that key "might" work for installing windows 7 onto your current pc. There is also the possibility that your friend neglected to use that windows 7 key of yours; and used a non genuine version of windows on your system instead. The only way to find out what your friend did for you last time, is to contact them and ask them directly. Or just go out and buy a new copy of windows.