Black Screen of Death before login - Moveable cursor

Eniqmatic

HOLY BALLS.

Got a Toshiba Satellite laptop in, it's got the black screen of death with a mouse cursor, right before the login screen. I've seen and successfully recovered a few of these before but this is proving resistant. Most people seem to give up and just re-install. Here is what I've tried and done:

Safe mode changes nothing

Chkdsk did have some sector errors and were repaired, re-running this found no more errors

SFC I cannot get to run properly, even with the added flags, it always runs for about 10 seconds then reports no errors

Kaspersky repair disc found no viruses on the quick test

Checked \Windows and System32 folder permissions - Fine

Startup repair finds nothing - figures

System restore fails to restore to almost all the points immediately

Checked the registry and the key to bring up explorer.exe on startup is present and fine

Some observations:

I don't have all the "advanced boot options" on pressing F8, only ones I have are "Safe Mode", "Safe mode CMD" and "Safe mode with Networking" which is odd

There is a recovery partition however I can't seem to get it to boot into it, I've set the partition to boot but there is no bootmgr for it even though the files exist on the disc, the folder structure is a little weird

When at the black screen, I can press CTRL+ALT+DEL and nothing happens, however pressing sticky keys 5 times brings up the prompt, pressing Windows Key+U brings up Ease of Use and pressing Windows Key + P brings up the display options.

I'm fairly sure it can't be graphics issue as I can get the other items to display fine as mentioned above. Live CD's also run fine. 

Anyone any suggestions? I wonder if I could just get a CMD up on the black screen then I might have a chance to make it work somehow? 

Please don't say re-install, I wouldn't be here if I wanted to do that.

This is annoying me to the point where I've almost gave in. Almost. Anyone that knows me knows I never give in and always win.

Any help appreciated!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

You can try running a live OS off a USB drive. If these work perfectly fine, maybe your installation is corrupted. That is most-likely it, eventhough your checks were fine.

Whaddup

You can try running a live OS off a USB drive. If these work perfectly fine, maybe your installation is corrupted. That is most-likely it, eventhough your checks were fine.

Read above, already ran Live CD's which were fine. I can't see how this can't be repaired somehow, someone somewhere must have knowledge :(

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Read above, already ran Live CD's which were fine. I can't see how this can't be repaired somehow, someone somewhere must have knowledge :(

Sry.

What about reinstalling windows?

Whaddup

Sry.

What about reinstalling windows?

Lol, not sure if srs or trolling.

If you have two rams then one of the ram is corrupted just remove the ram one by one and see if the issue is solved. Same issue with my lenovo Y510P. I hope it will solve your problem.

Lol, not sure if srs or trolling.

Was serious. But Radhey911's idea is good

Whaddup

If you have two rams then one of the ram is corrupted just remove the ram one by one and see if the issue is solved. Same issue with my lenovo Y510P. I hope it will solve your problem.

Just running another full virus check, will give that a shot when it finishes. Thanks for the suggestion. I would have usually tried that by now, but at this point I'm willing to try anything.

No dice with virus scan or memory!

Managed to get a cmd open from the black screen, typed explorer.exe then some stuff started to happen but then stopped and still a black screen!