White HTPC case

Rydeen

Hi all,

I need help here. I just can't get my head around these HTPC cases I've seen some nice ones, even the NUC ones that take i3's so can't be so slow as I'm thinking an Atom would be etc...

BUT, I have recently sold my PS4 as I game on my PC and didn't use it. The PS4 was white and looked gorgeous on the unit with the TV.

I now want to build a PC that can go where the PS4 and I want it mainly white.

I don't know much about these AMD APU things, but would they be the ones to look for in this form factor of mini ITX / Micro ATX etc.

What is the minimum for Emulating a PSX/PS2? I doubt a PS3 could be done without some serious power?

I'd appreciate help please.

I have an SSD already to go in, so looking at that being used along with either laptop DDR3 memory or normal DDR3.

Thanks

budget?

as for a white htpc case

id just get a case you like...strip it down to bare metal...and spray paint it with automotive paint

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I'd like to get it all done for under £300.

I can get memory for cheap but DDR3L memory in a way is a preferred as I can get a couple of stick potentially free, so that would allow me to continue a build. I also have a 2.5" SSD ready to go in, so it needs to be able to take a 2.5" Samsung Evo 850. OS is sorted. So it's pretty much whatever board and CPU I need to be able to run emulators for the PSX/PS2. BUT if a GPU is needed a case for a low factor GPU is going to be required.

I'm really unsure how good the AMD APU's are against a standard i3 / i5 with HD4400 on board.

snip

follow your own topics for instant notification of reply

for cases:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=bitfenix+white&safe=active&rls=com.microsoft:en-AU:IE-Address&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=R3leVaKYBIqF8QX_94GADA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1745&bih=885

the prodigyM is a very flexible case. capable of SLI of full length cards.

Do you want a HTPC or a gaming machine? both are very different

for HTPC - just get one of the ITX boards with an imbedded Intel Atom and put it in a case with an inbuilt ITX PSU - should cost you under $500 brand new - though it will only be good for youtube / streaming and in that case a Chromecast is going to be just as effective (sans the browsing)

for gaming - you want at least an Intel i3 (4xxx series or newer) or an i5 (2xxx series or newer) or an i7 (any i7) in an appropriate motherboard with 8gb of DDR3 - you will want a dedicated gpu, an Nvidia 670/760/960 would be ideal however quite expensive given your budget, make sure its at least a 660 (don't get a 650 (too slow) or a 480 (too hot) for example)

Don't emulate ps3 games, just play pc games, aside from some exclusives many ps3 titles equivalent PC launches will run on modest PC hardware

My own loungeroom/LAN pc build is built entirely from 2nd hand parts (except the case, I replaced my main rig case and had this one spare):

Bitphenix ProdigyM ($100)

Zotac H67 ITX motherboard ($60)

Intel I5-2400 ($30)

8gb ddr3 ($60)

Nvidia 670 ITX ($150)

850w psu ($35)

500gb HDD ($15)

total cost: $450 AUD (£227 GBP) it will play anything I throw at it, including GTA5 (yet to test TW3) the 670 once overclocked is almost as fast as a 960

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

@Cheddle

I know about following topics, but have been checking here, it's more responses on here are low, which is a pity as a lot of knowledgeable people are on here.

I have built my own gaming rig so don't want a gaming rig with this, I want it downstairs for watching videos, emulation and whatever else an i5 with HD5000 / HD4400 could do. Definitely not gaming.

Also, the Prodigy is too big. Mini ITX is fine, even one of those cases that can take a low form factor GPU and then I have a mini gaming unit that is flexible for any future uses.

i have two htpc atm (1 in the man cave and the other one in the lounge )

both using amd APU ( which is all i think you need if its a true htpc not being used for gaming )

as for a white one , found this on tigerdirect.com

XION HTPC Series XON-710P-White Slim

@TassieTim - Yep, seen that one before. It's not bad, but a few limitation to it like non-USB3 ports.

I'm currently speccing one up on PC PART PICKER just so it's in one place. I think I do like the idea of just a kettle lead into the case and I think I want to make a small budget gaming machine (750ti single space card)

I have an SSD to go into it, but wondering to buy a group of cases to build some as I have a few memory sticks and 250GB - 500GB laptop drives. Then just flog them.