Internet Speeds In Your Location?

RubyRoks

Trying to decide where i want to live after college. Maybe stay in the states/North America (i am only a 30 minute drive from Canada), maybe go across the atlantic, maybe go to Mars via SpaceX. one of the biggest factors for me is internet speed per basic unit of local currency. If i couldn't get good cheap internet, that'd be something that would make my dream location of urban Japan a no-go, for example. Any input would be fantastic :)

Linus once unboxed a Toblerone

I got 12 down and 1 up so not here. Sweden gots pretty fast but South Korea gots the highest average speed of 25 or something.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

Holland has good internet (i got cable at 200 down/20 up and i could get fiber at 500/500) and decent prices...

Not sure if you'd wanna move here though

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

When I'm the only one at home (check on my profile)

When my dad is watching something at 1080p and I have multiple tabs open

4366500750.png

Jakarta has a max of 12Mbps, selected territories has up to 100Mbps if you're willing to pay the price (350 USD per month, meanwhile me 6Mbps only 40 USD per month)

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

New York City has some great internet and great people.

Agreed. I am in Manhattan and currently have a 200mbps connection and I'm only paying $37/month (admittedly I have a $20/month discount going right now).

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

Agreed. I am in Manhattan and currently have a 200mbps connection and I'm only paying $37/month (admittedly I have a $20/month discount going right now).

I have 25/5 in south Brooklyn, but don't know what we're paying.

Holland has good internet (i got cable at 200 down/20 up and i could get fiber at 500/500) and decent prices...

Not sure if you'd wanna move here though

holy crap...

is there a reason i wouldn't want to at least check it out?

When I'm the only one at home (check on my profile)

When my dad is watching something at 1080p and I have multiple tabs open

4366500750.png

your upload is double mine...and down is 6-ish times faster...holy balls...

And I'm in the middle of Lincolnshire countryside (seriously, my town has less than 2k people)

holy crap...

is there a reason i wouldn't want to at least check it out?

I think that it's important to look at more that internet speeds before moving somewhere (even if internet is lyfe).  The people, job opportunities, etc.  However, Holland is very compelling.  It's worth mentioning my internet speeds (I live in an average University Town in the Midwest), which are usually around 90 Mbps download and 20 Mbps upload.  Also, my specific town is getting new cables laid, which should effectively double my internet speeds.

Lol what college do you go to, if you don't mind me asking?

I think internet speeds can't be generalized into countries, like you want us to. I live in Austria and have 16 down and 1 up, but 100 down and 25 up would cost 40$ compared to 20$ we pay now, and the line to our house isn't fiber so it wouldn't be any faster unless we switched the cable

Here In Spain, is propagating right now 200/200 for 56€/month ~64$/Month Wich is fine. Also In some cities there is 1000/200 for less:

https://www.adamo.es/internet-fibra-optica/fast/

EDIT: Here is the english version of that page https://www.adamo.es/en/internet-fibra-optica/fast/

And the ping is Between 20ms and 54ms. It depends of the city. Good luck!

I'm from Spain so English is not my main language but I'm trying to make my best not writing any typo.

If you are moving, instead of asking us, go take a look at the cable/internet companies in the area, and try to find out what you would pay and what you would be paying for... also whether you can get a job there (Because you can't buy blazing fast internet if you're broke, or don't have a house, or a computer...)

I get 3 down...

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

I think that it's important to look at more that internet speeds before moving somewhere (even if internet is lyfe).  The people, job opportunities, etc.  However, Holland is very compelling.  It's worth mentioning my internet speeds (I live in an average University Town in the Midwest), which are usually around 90 Mbps download and 20 Mbps upload.  Also, my specific town is getting new cables laid, which should effectively double my internet speeds.

Lol what college do you go to, if you don't mind me asking?

Just an assumption, but i'm guessing it'll be fairly simple for an American to get used to?

I'll be going to a local community college in the Fall, and after that, a small university in Lewiston Idaho

Just an assumption, but i'm guessing it'll be fairly simple for an American to get used to?

I'll be going to a local community college in the Fall, and after that, a small university in Lewiston Idaho

Guessing what will be simple?  My town?  Yes, it's quite nice.  Good internet, good people, good food, good jobs.  Also, the only reason that the traffic would be truly awful is during college graduations or other huge college events.  Even then, It's not as bad as it is for my east coast relatives on any day.

LOL the university in that town looks pretty nice m8, well done.

Here In Spain, is propagating right now 200/200 for 56€/month ~64$/Month Wich is fine. Also In some cities there is 1000/200 for less:

https://www.adamo.es/internet-fibra-optica/fast/

EDIT: Here is the english version of that page https://www.adamo.es/en/internet-fibra-optica/fast/

And the ping is Between 20ms and 54ms. It depends of the city. Good luck!

Cool! It'd be interesting to see how much spanish i remember (took classes in school, but didn't have time for it this year) :P

Guessing what will be simple?  My town?  Yes, it's quite nice.  Good internet, good people, good food, good jobs.  Also, the only reason that the traffic would be truly awful is during college graduations or other huge college events.  Even then, It's not as bad as it is for my east coast relatives on any day.

Getting used to the lifestyle in Holland. And that sounds like a typical college town :P

Cool! It'd be interesting to see how much spanish i remember (took classes in school, but didn't have time for it this year) :P

Getting used to the lifestyle in Holland. And that sounds like a typical college town :P

When I visit buddies there, it's different, but not in a bad way.  Biking is big (which I like, as an avid cyclist), and the parts I visited were pretty cool (wind turbines frickin' everywhere, blazing internet).  And, everyone I spoke to spoke better English than I did xD.

You could also just find a job that lets you move around the world, and see where you would like to settle permanently later.  I have two cousins in their mid-20's, and both of them are sailing instructors, so they have been to most non-landlocked countries.

When I visit buddies there, it's different, but not in a bad way.  Biking is big (which I like, as an avid cyclist), and the parts I visited were pretty cool (wind turbines frickin' everywhere, blazing internet).  And, everyone I spoke to spoke better English than I did xD.

You could also just find a job that lets you move around the world, and see where you would like to settle permanently later.  I have two cousins in their mid-20's, and both of them are sailing instructors, so they have been to most non-landlocked countries.

Nice. I personally find driving terrifying, so cycling seems great :P

I've thought about it. I could join the US Army and go travel on the governments money if i wanted. More thought on this would be needed though

Nice. I personally find driving terrifying, so cycling seems great :P

I've thought about it. I could join the US Army and go travel on the governments money if i wanted. More thought on this would be needed though

What is your major in college? Jobs available involving travelling depend on what you do in college.