Samsung unveils 1TB 840 Evo solid-state drive

Jeffrey Chiu_081

And what where they thinking calling it a evo drive that made me think it was a hybrid kinda drive.

I really hate cnet  so hard to follow with all the mini adds around (sorry for minor thread hijack)

I am a happy wuffy

I would love to see a 1TB SSD :O Except the problem would be the money :(

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

Looks nice not worth upgrading from a 840 pro i dont think tho.

I want a SSD just for games tho maybe a 500GB one of these would be nice depending on the price. Im guessing it will good as there would be no point making a 1TB SSD if its going to be out of most peoples price range.

My Build  CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955@4.1@Ghz Mobo: Asus M5A99x Evo R2.0 GPU: Asus 7870T @1.25GHz Core 5.5GHz Mem Ram: Kingston HyperX@ 1600 9-9-9-24 CPU Cooler: H80 Push/Pull Noctua NF-P12  SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 PRO HDD: Mix of drives which add up to 5.6TB SoundCard: Asus xonar DGX PSU: Corsair HX650 + alchemy cables Case: R3 with the rest of the fans being fractel fans.

Im A Snake.....

Why does it say it's Samsung's first drive to be completely made by themselves? I thought Samsung already makes their SSDs 100% by themselves.

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

Why does it say it's Samsung's first drive to be completely made by themselves? I thought Samsung already makes their SSDs 100% by themselves.

As did I because that is what almost every review stated when talking about the 840....

....seems like the same perf on the EVO line as well.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

I doubt the 1tb drive would be $800 since the crucial m500 is a MLC 960gb ssd for $600.

Pretty nice looking drive. Always liked Samsung SSDs because of that they make their own SSDs :)

Another News link from engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/17/samsung-ssd-840-evo/

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

"Depending on the capacities, Samsung claims that the new drive offers between two and three times the speed of the 840 series" Sweet. It looks better than the 840 series as well.

Perhaps this will be my first SSD. 

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

And what where they thinking calling it a evo drive that made me think it was a hybrid kinda drive.

I really hate cnet  so hard to follow with all the mini adds around (sorry for minor thread hijack)

its alright i'm just helping the community as well :)

Depending on the capacities huh? So the larger drives, 500/1TB

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Nice

I't didn't take too long for SSD's to reach the 1TB limit did it. 

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

1TB SSD? That literally means a hard drive isn't required as a lot of people only has 1TB HDDs anyway.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Kind of annoying....was gonna buy my 840 drive on friday....lol..

Great idea for a silent system

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

1TB SSD? That literally means a hard drive isn't required as a lot of people only has 1TB HDDs anyway.

Falcon northwest has a pc with 2x960gb ssd as the storage

They've been out for a while now...

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

I doubt the 1tb drive would be $800 since the crucial m500 is a MLC 960gb ssd for $600.

Agreed. I'd much rather get a 960GB SSD for video games and have it be cheap.

At this high of a capacity, you won't use it as a boot drive, only storage, so speed matters only up to a certain point.

In my opinion, if Samsung wants this to sell(well to me specifically), it has to be around $650-$700. Any higher and I'll go with the Crucial option.

Anand says that the new drives uses 19nm TLC flash. Not sure where some people got the "10nm" claim from, because I don't even think anyone is making that (at least not mass produces). I mean, Micron just announced that they have moved to 16nm for their MLC NAND.

I am disappointed with the 840 EVO. The 250GB model will perform WORSE than the 256GB 840 Pro model. It's not just performance that's worse by the way (especially random operations) but also endurance since they have moved from 21nm MLC to 19nm TLC, and that also results in a worse warranty (3years instead of 5 years on the Pro).

It's a lot worse than the PRO, and a little bit better than the standard 840.

By the time I build my next rig, I could only potentially need a 1tb or 2tb SSD for storage. Times are changing.

Onward and upward I say!

The capacity is finally getting to more liking, now I just gotta wait for the price to match up lol