Macbook Cooling

Hey guys,

So I have this crazy idea. I plan to use a titan x as egpu on my macbook pro if I don't make a complete build. I know the bittle necks but I want to use this gpu for later. Since the macbook is being pushed to max it will overheat and might break it. I want to know if there is anyway to use the aluminum body of the mac to my advantage for watercooling with some type of huge massive water block like a AIO cooler. I would then place the mac on a stand then have this block under the body. Anyone have ideas? Thanks.

my MacBook gets pushed in games all the times. It never throttles and maintains temps of about 80 Celsius. If you are really worried about temps, get a Cooler Master Notepal X2 or X3

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

I suspect there's a way you could mount some sort of custom cooling system to the bottom of the chassis of the MBP.  However as other's said, Apple does a pretty good job about cooling, if you are concerned. Replace the thermal paste and clean out any dust. Honestly if I do end up buying an RMBP 13" I'd consider opening it to put on a good paste even if I most likely won't be doing an eGPU set up with it since a HT Dual Core CPU is basically not ideal for gaming, and since the eGPU only works in Windows, I'd have a hard time being willing to use Windows to do what I wanted OS X for. Whether or not I do end up proceeding in my eGPU endeavours that I will call it "Kintsugi" regardless. Though I think for me to be willing to I'll most likely want to have Windows 8.1 because at least with W10 10074, it's now sort of like frankly 8.1 was fine I mean I guess having the start menu is nice but some of the things in 8.1 were nice touches, but I guess it's nice that some of those touches are no longer mandatory and were even removed, however some of those features were nice. Like the Charms Bar Search, I rather that than the static search bar. Honestly I've sort of gone OT...

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I know I can buy a cooling pad and might have to do that. But it's the fun of diy that I want. If anyone is creative enough I want to know lol

I suspect there's a way you could mount some sort of custom cooling system to the bottom of the chassis of the MBP. However as other's said, Apple does a pretty good job about cooling, if you are concerned. Replace the thermal paste and clean out any dust. Honestly if I do end up buying an RMBP 13" I'd consider opening it to put on a good paste even if I most likely won't be doing an eGPU set up with it since a HT Dual Core CPU is basically not ideal for gaming, and since the eGPU only works in Windows, I'd have a hard time being willing to use Windows to do what I wanted OS X for. Whether or not I do end up proceeding in my eGPU endeavours that I will call it "Kintsugi" regardless. Though I think for me to be willing to I'll most likely want to have Windows 8.1 because at least with W10 10074, it's now sort of like frankly 8.1 was fine I mean I guess having the start menu is nice but some of the things in 8.1 were nice touches, but I guess it's nice that some of those touches are no longer mandatory and were even removed, however some of those features were nice. Like the Charms Bar Search, I rather that than the static search bar. Honestly I've sort of gone OT...

Apple is good with cooling. It just will get hot with a gpu. Also I don't mind windows. Plus I think a egpu is a smart idea. All I need to buy is a enclosure and a gpu. I got a psu. I'm only scared about frying my poor i7 like a potato.....

Cooler Master offers some pretty good looking cooling pads for laptops, I'd suggest you get one of those instead of ghetto mounting a waterblock to the back that way you could actually move your disgusting excuse of a PC if need be.

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

Cooler Master offers some pretty good looking cooling pads for laptops, I'd suggest you get one of those instead of ghetto mounting a waterblock to the back that way you could actually move your disgusting excuse of a PC if need be.

Good one for mac?

Really anything that fits whatever sized macbook you have. Apple products are nothing special (as Linus once said "Macs aren't made of dragon scales and the force or something") and will fit just fine on a general purpose cooling pad.

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

Cooling pads will just provide additional airflow and not additional cooling! The aluminum body is not working as a heatsink!

You will have the same effect by using a stand/lift to give the MacBook fresh air underneath it.

This are my suggested improvements:

- lift the MacBook up (worst case, just use some books to lift up the left and right side and give it some fresh air under the frame

- replace thermal paste with high end paste like Gelid Extreme between CPU <-> Heatsink

- change the fan curve to a more aggressiv setting or directly to full speed

- reduce CPU voltage ( I am using Intel XTU to run my 15" MacBook with -75mV)

- put some thermal pads between the heatpipe and the aluminum body to use the body as a cooling surface

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hardwareluxx.de%2Fcommunity%2Ff197%2Fkuehlungsoptimierung-mbpr-mid-2012-a-1058193.html&edit-text=

What CPU does your macbook have?

If it's not a quadcore you're basically wasting 1500 dollars worth of eGPU setup

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Good one for mac?

I use a cooler master notepad x2 with my MBPr 13. It keeps my temps down a LOT better than stock cooling.

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

What CPU does your macbook have?

If it's not a quadcore you're basically wasting 1500 dollars worth of eGPU setup

It has a 2.6 ghz I 7 quad core. Don't know the exact model

Cooling pads will just provide additional airflow and not additional cooling! The aluminum body is not working as a heatsink!

You will have the same effect by using a stand/lift to give the MacBook fresh air underneath it.

This are my suggested improvements:

- lift the MacBook up (worst case, just use some books to lift up the left and right side and give it some fresh air under the frame

- replace thermal paste with high end paste like Gelid Extreme between CPU <-> Heatsink

- change the fan curve to a more aggressiv setting or directly to full speed

- reduce CPU voltage ( I am using Intel XTU to run my 15" MacBook with -75mV)

- put some thermal pads between the heatpipe and the aluminum body to use the body as a cooling surface

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hardwareluxx.de%2Fcommunity%2Ff197%2Fkuehlungsoptimierung-mbpr-mid-2012-a-1058193.html&edit-text=

This seems solid !!

It has a 2.6 ghz I 7 quad core. Don't know the exact model

Then you'll be fine. There'll definitley be a bottleneck, but you'll still have probably ~980 performance if i'd have to guess.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Then you'll be fine. There'll definitley be a bottleneck, but you'll still have probably ~980 performance if i'd have to guess.

Or if I can possibly get a $500 build without a gfx card ill be fine

Or if I can possibly get a $500 build without a gfx card ill be fine

too be honest that's probably your best bed. It's much more economical, TBH eGPU is a bit of a waste if it's gonna be temporary

too be honest that's probably your best bed. It's much more economical, TBH eGPU is a bit of a waste if it's gonna be temporary

Got a good build for me Lol. One that's good with Titan x.