My very first decent branded PSU

LazyDev

Despite it taking nearly over an hour install (Had to remount the water pump as the PSU was 1 inch longer than my older PSU) I have finally bought myself my very first modular PSU.

http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/248

I'm shocked to find, compared to my older PSU, my PC now bearly uses 170 Watts (Last PSU was 300). My Quad CPU (OC'ed) pegged at 100%, along with my 6670 GPU (Yes, it's cheap).

Still, a 130 Watt drop is huge, right?

Price? £40, $60.

Pic (From FB) https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/542369_10200150800685254_988161674_n.jpg - Yes, It's very cramped. That's why I had to remount my pump :(

Current Build

Much better efficiency can make a huge difference....

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

It scares me that your older unit was pulling 300w, to be honest (assuming that's the amount it's pulling from the wall). That's showing around an efficiency of 30-40%, which is ridiculously low, even lowest-end units present an efficiency of around 70% while they are functional.

Much better efficiency can make a huge difference....
and you can also save on energy bills. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

My last first build I skimped out on the PSU (It was a Retail Plus 550W right RetailPlus good move there saving me some money:rolleyes: ) surprised that it lasted 5 year but this year it finally degraded to a point where it would not power a gtx460 and when I removed the 460 and tried to put in a sound card it fizzled, I really wish I knew what kind of power efficency that piece of shit had.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?