Budget 500W PSU

I'm helping a friend get together a PC, he's on a really tight budget (£300/$500) so we're buying used. There are a few things we're getting new, one of those is the PSU, the system will need a 500W unit and I initially thought the Corsair CX500 would be a good choice, I had one for a year and it was fine, but when I searched on Amazon for it the EVGA 500B came up as well for less money (CX500 £46 / 500B £40). So can someone tell me, which is better? From what I know EVGA is a better brand but I don't know about their budget units. Is there anything better than both for the same or less money?

I'm helping a friend get together a PC, he's on a really tight budget (£300/$500) so we're buying used. There are a few things we're getting new, one of those is the PSU, the system will need a 500W unit and I initially thought the Corsair CX500 would be a good choice, I had one for a year and it was fine, but when I searched on Amazon for it the EVGA 500B came up as well for less money (CX500 £46 / 500B £40). So can someone tell me, which is better? From what I know EVGA is a better brand but I don't know about their budget units. Is there anything better than both for the same or less money?

Any should be fine, unless your running a high-end card such as a GTX 980 or something that requires more amps (The 500B has 40A I think) should be completely fine with any of the both.

Any should be fine, unless your running a high-end card such as a GTX 980 or something that requires more amps (The 500B has 40A I think) should be completely fine with any of the both.

It'll be an i5 760 and a GTX 760, pretty mid range stuff

Just as a side note, my brother is running a G7 780W Power some random company he bought it for £40 and it's handling a HD 7950 just fine. And again.. its a random company lol, not even a painted power supply just clear aluminium.. and yellow and red classic style leading.. 

It'll be an i5 760 and a GTX 760, pretty mid range stuff

A GTX 760 requires at least 30 AMPS on the 12v Rail and the 500B has 40 so thats fine.

Just as a side note, my brother is running a G7 780W Power some random company he bought it for £40 and it's handling a HD 7950 just fine. And again.. its a random company lol, not even a painted power supply just clear aluminium.. and yellow and red classic style leading.. 

And it hasn't gone "BANG! CLATTER CLATTER" yet :D  that's epic

A GTX 760 requires at least 30 AMPS on the 12v Rail and the 500B has 40 so thats fine.

Okay that's great thanks for the info :)

And it hasn't gone "BANG! CLATTER CLATTER" yet :D  that's epic

Okay that's great thanks for the info :)

Yes! Not yet but no problem hah.

Go with EVGA, I don't like Corsair since most of their stuff is junky.

CX500 is actually better then 500B.

"Rawr XD"

How is it better?

The 500B has slightly better voltage regulation and much better hold-up time, however the CX has better ripple suppression.  

"Rawr XD"

The 500B has slightly better voltage regulation and much better hold-up time, however the CX has better ripple suppression.  

Voltage regulation = less ripple

blackshades on

Voltage regulation = less ripple

Voltage regulation and ripple suppression are different things.

"Rawr XD"

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

£46, Seasonic OEM, better than both of those.

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

£46, Seasonic OEM, better than both of those

This, or if you can live with 450W, depending on components, then http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/super-flower-power-supply-sf450p14xehx

Both of these are ultimately more expensive when you consider delivery, the PSU needs to just be good enough, nothing more

Both of these are ultimately more expensive when you consider delivery, the PSU needs to just be good enough, nothing more

It's 88p more if you buy from more computers :P

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

It's 88p more if you buy from more computers :P

It's £6 more plus delivery which is always expensive from these sites

It's £6 more plus delivery which is always expensive from these sites

Its 88p more than the CX and the delivery is free from more computers

Its 88p more than the CX and the delivery is free from more computers

I'm going for the 500B though, not the CX. Plus ordering from Amazon is much easier and other parts are coming from there. Thanks for the recommendation though.

I'm going for the 500B though, not the CX. Plus ordering from Amazon is much easier and other parts are coming from there. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Hm, ok