New OS and Computer

Mullen

On the new build I am making the case doesn't have an optical drive so how do I install a new Windows 8.1 via USB.

Yours Sincerely,

The Beast,

Sean Mullen

You need a computer with an optical disk drive. Insert Windows disk, and from that system, you will need to make an ISO file.

Once you have the ISO file, you can use software like Microsoft ISO to USB tool, to extract the ISO onto your USB flash drive and make it bootable.

http://wudt.codeplex.com/

Alternatively you can buy an external DVD player that works on USB, plug that in, and use the Windows disk into it, and you can boot from it, and install Windows. Although it will be slower due the disk speed compared to USB flash drive.

If your computer hardware is brand new, be sure to boot from your USB flash drive (or external disk drive) as UEFI. Be also sure, that your have CSM disabled in the UEFI setup, and that your SATA controller is set to AHCI mode (assuming you won't have a RAID setup, else pick RAID when ready to set it up, of course). CSM is the compatibility mode of UEFI. It emulates the old legacy BIOS. So for fast boot, you need CSM disabled.

This note only applies to Windows 8 and up. Windows 7 doesn't fully support UEFI.

If you bought Windows 8 online (Microsoft Store) they should offer you a tool for downloading the ISO and creating a bootable DVD or USB drive. There is also a tool by Microsoft which you can use in the same way where you simply have to type in your Product Key: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Whaddup

You should be able to get a Beta version of Windows 10 I believe for free right now should that interest you.

get rufus get the windows 8.1 iso instal it up the usb just by kliking the button.

when its done put in the usb in the pc start up an keep pusing f8 intill it gives the option of booting by usb and its done.

maby you need to format youre drive butt if youre pc is new you won't

You should be able to get a Beta version of Windows 10 I believe for free right now should that interest you.

Well Windows 10 is nice for testing it out, however it is very buggy and NOT recommended for productive use. It should rather be tested in a Virtual Machine (VMPlayer, VirtualBox, QEMU etc.)

Whaddup