WIFI bridge from third floor to basement OUTSIDE

Marco2G

Hello everyone

I have the following issue: I have my workshop in the basement of a multi-tenant building. I live on the third floor. I'd like to extend my wifi so I can stream music while working or connect to the net to use howtos and youtube videos.

I was thinking about a bridge and installing an AP in the workshop. The window to the shop itself is below ground level but there is a direct line from it upwards to one of our windows. Are there bridges with external antennas with cables that could be squeezed through a window and its frame?

Since English isn't my first language, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification if you don't understand what I mean. It's a bit hard to describe the situation...

Regards,

Marco

You could do this, but you could also try pointing a directional antenna downwards towards the basement.

Hello everyone

I have the following issue: I have my workshop in the basement of a multi-tenant building. I live on the third floor. I'd like to extend my wifi so I can stream music while working or connect to the net to use howtos and youtube videos.

I was thinking about a bridge and installing an AP in the workshop. The window to the shop itself is below ground level but there is a direct line from it upwards to one of our windows. Are there bridges with external antennas with cables that could be squeezed through a window and its frame?

Since English isn't my first language, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification if you don't understand what I mean. It's a bit hard to describe the situation...

Regards,

Marco

You could just run a ethernet cord from your access point upstairs and then all the way down. Probably would be cheaper than doing what you suggested. Plus you could add another cheap access point downstairs for wireless capability. If your just streaming music and youtube it shouldn't need to be a very expensive router.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

Thermite: If I was the only one living in this house then I would. I doubt that my neighbours would appreciate a cable dangling in front of their windows, though.

TomLambert: Do you have any product recommendations?

I like the idea, but since the window isn't quite next to the router/AP, I imagine I'd still need a seperate device I could install closer to it. Something like a wifi repeater?