PCIe bandwith question. (I don't get this at all and need help haha)

Go to solution Solved by typographie,

Sorry guys, I think I got you confused. Single GTX 760 and single PCIe SSD. Will each one work at full speed?

My understanding (and someone may correct me) is that the lanes for your PCIe x4 slots are provided by the chipset and thus do not subtract from your CPU's 16 available lanes. As long as you don't put the SSD in one of your PCIe x16 slots it shouldn't take lanes away from your GTX 760.

That being said, 8 lanes of PCIe 3.0 will not measurably impede the performance of a video card. PCIe has astronomically high bandwidth and no cards really saturate it enough to "need" 16 lanes at this time.

If I use both PCIe 16x Generation 3 on this mobo:

ASUS Z97-A ATX 
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Z97--DDR3-2600-Motherboards/dp/B00K2MAU5Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431569572&sr=1-1&keywords=Asus+z97

With a GTX760 (or any GPU for that matter) and the new Intel PCIe 4x Gen 3 SSD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167300) will I bottleneck either one?

Thanks guys!

I don't think it will work, since the i7-4790k only has 16 PCIe lanes, so your 2-way SLI will use those lanes (8x 8x), and there will be no lanes left for the SSD (4 lanes).

If I use both PCIe 16x Generation 3 on this mobo:

ASUS Z97-A ATX 

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Z97--DDR3-2600-Motherboards/dp/B00K2MAU5Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431569572&sr=1-1&keywords=Asus+z97

With a GTX760 (or any GPU for that matter) and the new Intel PCIe 4x Gen 3 SSD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167300) will i bottleneck aither one? I just know that in SLI the lanes become 8x and 8x and that got me really confused haha.

Thanks guys!

I don't think it will work, since the i7-4790k only has 16 PCIe lanes, so your 2-way SLI will use those lanes (8x 8x), and there will be no lanes left for the SSD (4 lanes).

I believe that SLI has a minimum requirement of 8X, but if not it will work. The X16 slots run direct to the CPU, true, and the X1 slots are run by the Z97 chipset. If you installed the two GTX 760's they'd run in X8/X8, but if you add a third device they will run X8/X4/X4. Whether or not SLI will work at X4 is something I can't remember. I think Crossfire will work at that speed but not SLI.

I'll see if I can find the answer in the meantime.

Also it won't "bottleneck" as PCIE 3.0 even at X4 is plenty fast.

*Edit: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/221485-question-on-sli-pcie-lanes-dedicated-physx-card/

This cleared it up. SLI won't work at X4 but you certainly won't cause any issues running one card at X8 and the SSD at X4. But if you try and run a second 760 in SLI it won't work at X4.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

With a GTX760 (or any GPU for that matter) and the new Intel PCIe 4x Gen 3 SSD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167300) will i bottleneck aither one? I just know that in SLI the lanes become 8x and 8x and that got me really confused haha.

Wait, so are you going to be using one 760, or two?

Whether or not SLI will work at X4 is something I can't remember. I think Crossfire will work at that speed but not SLI.

Unfortunately no. SLI requires x8

"Rawr XD"

Wait, so are you going to be using one 760, or two?

Unfortunately no. SLI requires x8

Sorry guys, I think I got you confused. Single GTX 760 and single PCIe SSD. Will each one work at full speed?

Ha, ah ok.

The SSD will run at it's max X4 yes, the card will run at X8. X8 PCIE is more than fast enough for all but a Titan X, so you'll be fine lol.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

The SSD will run at full speed, the GPU will be reduced to X8, but you won't notice a difference between X8 and X16 with a 760, or any current GPU tbh. It'll be perfectly fine.

The SSD will run at it's max X4 yes, the card will run at X8. X8 PCIE is more than fast enough for all but a Titan X, so you'll be fine lol.

Nope :P PCIe 3.0 X8 is still more then enough for a 295X2, which is more powerful than a Titan X.

"Rawr XD"

My understanding (and someone may correct me) is that the lanes for your PCIe x4 slots are provided by the chipset and thus do not subtract from your CPU's 16 available lanes. As long as you don't put the SSD in one of your PCIe x16 slots it shouldn't take lanes away from your GTX 760.

That being said, 8 lanes of PCIe 3.0 will not measurably impede the performance of a video card. PCIe has astronomically high bandwidth and no cards really saturate it enough to "need" 16 lanes at this time.

Thnk you very much guys. Helpful as hell!

I believe the new Intel NVMe drives require PCIe Gen 3 X4 minimum to work. The PCIe lanes controlled by the PCH are only Gen 2 so cannot be used for these devices, hence on the Z97 must be connected via a PCIe Gen 3 Lane (CPU). (It may work on Gen 2 lanes, but if it did, it would be severely bottlenecked by the PCH.)

Another thing to note is that the M.2 Slot on the ASUS Z97-A is controlled via the PCH and shares bandwidth with the two PCIe 2.0 X1 slots for a total bandwidth of PCIe 2.0 x2. Therefore the 2.5" drive with M.2 adapter isn't supported on this (or im pretty sure most if not all) Z97 motherboards. The only option would be the PCIe card which may or may not be supported by the BIOS.

[spoiler=REDWING]  REDWING   | Custom Hard Line Water Cooling Loop   |   Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz   |   Asus Maximus VII Ranger   |   Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2400 2x8GB   |   2 x Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming (SLI)   |   Corsair AX860i   |   Samsung 850 Pro 512GB   |   Corsair Obsidian 750D   |   Corsair K95 RGB & M65 RGB   |   Samsung SyncMaster S27B370

Project Redwing Build Log

[spoiler=ZedNAS] 'ZedNAS' Home NAS Build   |   Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3   |   ASRock Rack E3C224D4I   |   Kingston KVR16E11/8I 2x8GB   |   Corsair HX750   |   6 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM HDD   |   Fractal Design Node 304 mITX Black   |   FreeNAS w/ PleX   |   ZFS Raid-Z2 (16TB Effective)   |