Z97 Extreme3

Just curious on something, and I'm not asking for any recommendations. When pairing an ASRock z97 Extreme3 with a Noctua NH-D14 in a recommended build someone came back and said that the NH-D14 on an Extreme3 was a bit crazy? I'm just a bit curious to if this is true, and I know this is a stupid question but how do I know if one fits?

PC and Peripherals:

Intel Core i3 4150 @3.5GHz - ASRock H97M Anniversary - Kingston Fury HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 @1866MHz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5 - EVGA 500W 80+ Certified - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - WD Caviar Blue 160GB - Lian Li PC-50 - Linux Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS - Acer P221w 21.5" 1680x1050 60Hz - Kingston Fury HyperX Clouds - Razer Deathadder 3.5G - CM Storm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues

Just curious on something, and I'm not asking for any recommendations. When pairing an ASRock z97 Extreme3 with a Noctua NH-D14 in a recommended build someone came back and said that the NH-D14 on an Extreme3 was a bit crazy? I'm just a bit curious to if this is true, and I know this is a stupid question but how do I know if one fits?

It's not crazy but a bit unbalanced. That board's VRMs won't reliably do high enough of an overclock to the point where you'll need a D14 to keep your chip from hitting thermal limits.

"Rawr XD"

I don't see how it's crazy. 

It's not crazy but a bit unbalanced. That board's VRMs won't reliably do high enough of an overclock to make you need a D14 to keep temperatures in check.

The board's vrms are fine for oc'ing. The NH-D14's cooling isn't always necessary. Consider that one might get the cooler for quieter operation on top of keeping temps in check.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's not crazy but a bit unbalanced. That board's VRMs won't reliably do high enough of an overclock to the point where you'll need a D14 to keep your chip from hitting thermal limits.

Very true. I'm a bit confused as I see a lot of people saying the Hyper 212 Evo is perfectly fine but then others say it's not really. I guess maybe I just need to study up some more on coolers.

PC and Peripherals:

Intel Core i3 4150 @3.5GHz - ASRock H97M Anniversary - Kingston Fury HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 @1866MHz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5 - EVGA 500W 80+ Certified - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - WD Caviar Blue 160GB - Lian Li PC-50 - Linux Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS - Acer P221w 21.5" 1680x1050 60Hz - Kingston Fury HyperX Clouds - Razer Deathadder 3.5G - CM Storm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues

The board's vrms are fine for oc'ing. The NH-D14's cooling isn't always necessary. Consider that one might get the cooler for quieter operation on top of keeping temps in check.

True, but I was addressing it more towards how the D14 was meant as more of a "performance" cooler in Noctua's lineup, and the Extreme3 isn't exactly a board you buy to push your 4790K to the limits with overvolting. There's definitely cheaper (and smaller) coolers then the D14 that are just as quiet, but offer less cooling performance.

"Rawr XD"