Bringing desktop to another country

Rayth

So I built my first PC here in the US and I was wondering if I have to change my PSU when I bring it back to Malaysia where the voltage is different. If I'm not mistaken, there the voltage is about twice as high as it is here (240V I think) and I remember my cousin who took back a hairdryer and just used a plain socket adapter and the hairdryer ended up getting fried. I asked my friend who brought his desktop here from Malaysia and he said his PSU gives the option of 110V or 240V so he just chooses the 110V one when he's in the US but mine doesn't have that.

So this brings up the question: IF and WHEN i have to bring my PC back there, do I have to get a new PSU from there, just change the power cable or are there any other solutions to this?

Since this kinda relates to bringing the PC somewhere else, I think I'll just use this thread as well:

How do you transport a desktop over to another country/state (assuming you take a plane there)?

Are there anything which HAS to be taken out from the tower? (I assume the GPU since it just sits there hanging. any other parts?)

Yeah depends on the PSU, Most new psu's have built in the switch to change the internal voltage input. In the old days it was a switch on the back. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

As responses above: most recent PSUs will be auto-switching, meaning that they can be fed with either 110 V or 240 V and make the switch electronically. Look on the label, the box, or the spec sheet. It should list the allowed input voltage(s).

what psu do you have?

I'm not 100% sure since I can't really take a look into the tower now but i think it's Antec Earthwatts EA650 

Yeah depends on the PSU, Most new psu's have built in the switch to change the internal voltage input. In the old days it was a switch on the back. 

Well, mine doesn't have the switch to change it either :/

As responses above: most recent PSUs will be auto-switching, meaning that they can be fed with either 110 V or 240 V and make the switch electronically. Look on the label, the box, or the spec sheet. It should list the allowed input voltage(s).

it should be stated on the sticker on the PSU itself, right?

I'm not 100% sure since I can't really take a look into the tower now but i think it's Antec Earthwatts EA650 

Well, mine doesn't have the switch to change it either :/

it should be stated on the sticker on the PSU itself, right?

You should be fine. Here's what the manual says.

The EA-650 Platinum features Universal Input, which

automatically senses when you connect the power supply to any AC power source between 100 - 240V
without setting a voltage switch.

Yeah all you needed to say was Antec, 

Their PSU's are right up there as some of the Top PSU's and even across their range they very good. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

You should be fine. Here's what the manual says.

I hope so. The one I have has a sticker which says its Antec EA-650 but the colour of the unit is Silver instead of the Black which I'm seeing from the Antec website (I got mine at a yard sale so there are no boxes, manuals, etc.)

Yeah all you needed to say was Antec, 

Their PSU's are right up there as some of the Top PSU's and even across their range they very good. 

I see. I just wasn't sure because I didn't know how new/old the PSU was because I got it from a yard sale w/o any packaging for it.

I hope so. The one I have has a sticker which says its Antec EA-650 but the colour of the unit is Silver instead of the Black which I'm seeing from the Antec website (I got mine at a yard sale so there are no boxes, manuals, etc.)

You'll be fine. Worst of your worries is that you might have to buy new power plugs to fit their outlets. Voltage isn't a problem.

What cpu cooler do you have? If it's very big, you'll have to take that out too.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

What cpu cooler do you have? If it's very big, you'll have to take that out too.

I'm just using a stock cooler.

I'm just using a stock cooler.

That'll probably be fine. I think you'll only have to take out your GPU, and maybe your harddrives to be safe.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7