Install Windows 8 From USB!

The easiest way to accomplish this process is to already have your hands on a copy of Windows 8’s downloadable .iso file – acquirable by just finding a free copy. If you have a flash drive of the appropriate size (at least 4GB or greater, depending on whatever file Microsoft lets you grab), you’re golden pony boy! Insert your flash drive into a USB slot on your system, and then go grab Microsoft’s Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool – don’t let the name discourage you.

Install the app and run it. It’ll ask you to select an .iso file to be “burnt” onto your USB key. Go ahead and select your Windows 8 .iso file – the fact that it’s not the right operating system as the tool’s name has absolutely no bearing on what you’re doing. 

w8install_howto_1.png

Just ignore "Windows 7" I works with Windows 8 too!

On the next screen, you’ll be asked whether you’d like to create a “Windows 7 backup” (again, ignore the name) on a USB device or DVD. Pick the obvious answer, select your USB key from the drop-down menu.

w8install_howto_2.png

Select your USB device

When you're ready to let 'er rip, click on "Begin copying!"  If the tool needs to format your USB key first, it'll let you know.

w8install_howto_3.png

w8install_howto_4.png

Pretty easy, right?

Thanks for following this tutorial!

:D  :rolleyes:   :D

CPU: i7 4790k Devil's Canyon MOBO: G1.SNIPER | GPU: GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ | CPU-COOLER: CM Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: G.Skill Sniper X 8GB

PSU: Corsair CX600 | CASE: Corsair 760T | MONITOR: Vizio 32in HDTV | HDD & SDD: Kingston 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

I personally just use Rufus as it works with more than just windows.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This will not work for newer UEFI systems, the USB/DVD tool formats USBs as NTFS, which UEFI can't read. As stated by @, Rufus is a good alternative and it works with UEFI.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

This will not work for newer UEFI systems, the USB/DVD tool formats USBs as NTFS, which UEFI can't read. As stated by @, Rufus is a good alternative and it works with UEFI.

Yeah, I use that tool for literally anything. Setting up Freenas, Hiren's Boot CD, DBAN, it works with all of the things I have thrown at it.

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

Or can do it the hardcore way by using running diskpart and then copy all of the contents from the disc or ISO to USB. For ISO it must be mounted first to see the contents.

UEFI is a bit tricky, it must be extracted and then manually put into the right path.

Never tried that Win7 to USB from Microsoft, but their Win8 one does create a UEFI based bootable USB.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

It is easier to just create an ISO from this tool:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Then use Rufus to make the USB bootable

Future Build: Intel i7-4790K // Corsair H100i GTX in Pull // ASUS Maximus VII Hero // HyperX Savage 16GB (2x8GB) 2133Mhz // ASUS Strix Nvidia 980Ti (Still to purchase) // Corsair HX1000i (With CableMod C-Series Black/Red cables) // Storage / HyperX Savage 240GB  SSD / HyperX Savage 480GB SSD / Seagate Baracuda 3TB HDD // NZXT H440 Black/Red (With SP120 QE's x3 as intake, AF140 QE x1 exhaust) [still to purchase and intall the fans] // Windows 10 Home // Case extras / mnpctech.com clear replacement CNC machined H440 replacement window (Still to buy) / Bitfenix Alcamy 2.0 Magnetic white LED strip (Have pre-ordered)

Unfortunately, this only works if you have an official ISO from MS, you want to add an unattended.xml to that ISO? Sorry wont work. Diskpart and bootsect.exe is where it is at for one off installs. MDT+WDS is where it is at for the rest, and MDT+SCCM for everything ~50+ concurrent installs.