Reinstalling Windows 8

glutesontheloose

I tried to install Windows 8.1 Preview on top of my Windows 8 OEM Install and I did not like the performance of the Preview since its lagging too much and other problems. Without making a recovery disk, I reformatted the Primary HDD and installed Windows 8 Pro but since the Original Key that came with my laptop uses the Non-Pro Edition and Single Language only , it doesn't work with the install.

I tried to download a Windows 8 Non-Pro which is a copy for Manufacturers but still my Key won't work with the install. It keeps on saying "The Key is not compatible with this Edition of Windows" or something along that line.

What I want is to be able to use the original key again but I am not sure how to do it. Is there any way I could use my Original Key??

do you have a old  backup (  image  ) of your hard drive. that you could put back on

When you say that the key doesn't work, does the setup process rejects the key or activation fails?

If activation fails, simply do a phone activation.

It rejects the setup process so I cannot install Windows 8 using my original key. And I do not have backups of my original OS which is a dumb move of me..

Right now I am on Windows 8 Pro and got it installed using the GVLK Key or whatever it is that is provided by Microsoft which cannot be activated.

I have read that most laptop OEM saves OS information such as activation keys in the BIOS but I am not sure about that in my case. I have found FOUR hidden partitions on my HDD which all combines 22GB of space but again I do not know how to deal with them. They don't have any options in Disk Management and is only visible there.

I had that problem when i broke my win8 install. All i had to do was call in the activation. Tell them it was for one computer and enter the codes (takes forever). But it works and you don't have to deal with people

Just hit the "skip" button and see if you can activate it in Windows, if not call MS.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Since I know that my original key is a Non-Pro Edition, I tried to force the installer to install the Non-Pro by placing a ei.cfg inside the installer's sources folder. I am now on Windows 8 Core and at the Startup it asks for a key but I tried to skip it. However, when trying to activate it, it says the key works but would then say its not compatible with the edition of Windows I have.

By the way, my original OS that came with this laptop is Windows 8 Single Language.

post-324-0-78371100-1374062620.png

post-324-0-42577900-1374062681_thumb.png

I will once again try and play with the installer and see I can get my key to work :/

Only way I see around this is by using a activation registry hack, although it may not be legal. It only makes sense that a key for a different version (missed that part originally) isn't going to work. 

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Well Its getting frustrated to get this thing working so I went to a friend and ask for a original spare key if he has. Now my OS is activated!

was only insisting on using my key because I feel its a waste if I can't use it again...

Thanks for all the suggestions and those who try to help! :)