so im curious here. i found a very old amd ati firegl v3600 GPU. it works and i want to use it in my rig for a little more folding power. but i dont want to hook my monitor up to it. i just wanna keep my monitor hooked up to my motherboard HDMI port because i dont have a graphics card (I'm not a gamer). can the card fold without being hooked up to my monitor or is there anyway to trick it into thinking that it is hooked up but its not really? Thanks for the help.

EDIT: @nickgibboni1 Make sure you always click "follow" on all your posts so that you know whenever someone replies.

You should be able to. I haven't folded for a little bit because I'm working on putting together some folding dedicated machines, but I believe you should be able to go into the advanced settings and tell it what to do if you have more than one GPU. I've been considering this as well because I have a couple old GeForce 4 series cards sitting around.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Almost always you will only have monitors hooked up to the primary card. Now, when you plug in the Fire card, you system may want to switch over to it as it will override the onboard. Check your BIOS, as sometimes in there you can set the Primary Display. A lot of times it is auto or x16 or Slot1 or something, which means use onboard until such a time as you plug in a dedicated GPU. Check the options. Probably one to force onboard. Or, if your system is newer, it might still just work with the onboard even with the Fire card plugged in. Plug it in and test. :)

But to answer your direct question, yes, folding doesn't care if a monitor is hooked up or not to a card to be able to use it. The client simply finds all compatible GPU's in a system. Hence how I can have like 5 GPU's running in one system. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Almost always you will only have monitors hooked up to the primary card. Now, when you plug in the Fire card, you system may want to switch over to it as it will override the onboard. Check your BIOS, as sometimes in there you can set the Primary Display. A lot of times it is auto or x16 or Slot1 or something, which means use onboard until such a time as you plug in a dedicated GPU. Check the options. Probably one to force onboard. Or, if your system is newer, it might still just work with the onboard even with the Fire card plugged in. Plug it in and test. :)

But to answer your direct question, yes, folding doesn't care if a monitor is hooked up or not to a card to be able to use it. The client simply finds all compatible GPU's in a system. Hence how I can have like 5 GPU's running in one system. :)

Alright so i have my old gpu hooked up to the monitor. I couldn't find anything in the UEFI BIOS (asus maximus VI hero). but that isn't the problem. My issue is that in advanced control, only my cpu is showing up in my folding slots. there is no gpu. help please! thanks

OK, try uninstalling the Folding client and then re-install. That should hopefully pick up the GPU and set it up. Did you try with your monitor on the on-board output and does it work?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

OK, try uninstalling the Folding client and then re-install. That should hopefully pick up the GPU and set it up. Did you try with your monitor on the on-board output and does it work?

No. I plugged my HDMI into my motherboard display output. the system booted to windows (i could hear the sounds) but there was no display until i plugged it into the graphics card. Which i guess is fine as it doesn't really make a difference. OK i'll uninstall the client and re-install and let u know how that goes.

The uninstall didn't work. Oh yea  u should note that i had to manually go to configure then go to slots and add a gpu slot 0. i then named it client-type and gave it value "advanced". It recognizes it as an ATI fireGL v3600 but it will jump between ready and download and within a minute it says failed   what should i do?

The uninstall didn't work. Oh yea u should note that i had to manually go to configure then go to slots and add a gpu slot 0. i then named it client-type and gave it value "advanced". It recognizes it as an ATI fireGL v3600 but it will jump between ready and download and within a minute it says failed what should i do?

poop, i rrad that your gpu is really a tweaked and stable 2300 from ati, f@h no longer supports it, as far as i can tell from their win gpu guide. I hope to hear otherwise.https://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/wingpuguide/http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1022319&sid=2adde8eee80c54597e215db094a2f449

From the advanced view, copy and past the log. Make sure you select the check mark to only show the log for the Slot. As @blackadder mentioned, it may no longer be supported now.