GTX 760 and AMD ??? cpu

FizzGigg
Go to solution Solved by Anubikai,

my god, its not hard to choose...get the fx-6350....its a really good cpu for gaming and will run just fine...it'll even handle your everyday other tasks just fine....it'll even handle two gtx 760s fine so youve always got that upgradability....if you get a 4100 you will be bottlenecked....that thing is like the slowest fx processor....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113327

-Anubikai

Hi guys,

I'm on a budget build here and was wondering what do you think the cheapest Amd processor is that will work well with a GTX 760.

Unless you need Shadow play or some other Nvidia technology you should get the 7950 instead. It performs better than the 760. An FX 6300 is a great CPU but an 8320 is not that much more and offers a compelling value.

dont go for the X100 of amd fx series...get the X300 or X350.....i would say get a fx-6350......

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

Unless you need Shadow play or some other Nvidia technology you should get the 7950 instead. It performs better than the 760. An FX 6300 is a great CPU but an 8320 is not that much more and offers a compelling value.

Unfortunatley I do want shadow play

The FX 6300 is a great chip for the price its what i recommend to anyone looking for great gaming on a budget 

The only difference between a politician and a criminal in patience . A criminal will try to take everything immediately where as a politician known to take it one small piece at a time

price performance :
1. 8320

2. 6300

3. 8350

if you are going with 4 core amd, that is bad, if future games need more, you will end up with 4 slow cores, much slower than intel

price performance :

1. 8320

2. 6300

3. 8350

if you are going with 4 core amd, that is bad, if future games need more, you will end up with 4 slow cores, much slower than intel

Don't forget the 750K and 965BE for the even cheaper end.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

my god, its not hard to choose...get the fx-6350....its a really good cpu for gaming and will run just fine...it'll even handle your everyday other tasks just fine....it'll even handle two gtx 760s fine so youve always got that upgradability....if you get a 4100 you will be bottlenecked....that thing is like the slowest fx processor....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113327

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

Thanks guys, all these answers are brilliant and I now feel confident on which one to choose now. I'll probably go for the 6350 because I will use up the extra cores and you guys say the that it's suitable and worth it.

I also like the idea of it's upgrade-ability to the dual 760's. 

This was a great help, Thanks.

By the way if I did want to upgrade to a dual 760 config, which wattage of power supply would you recommend.  

By the way if I did want to upgrade to a dual 760 config, which wattage of power supply would you recommend.  

A good 650w will be sufficient. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That^ =) this should work just fine

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

-Anubikai

It's a blue themed build so what do you think about the Corsair GS700.

that will work just fine

-Anubikai

If you plan to sli, sure. Otherwise, any decent 500w would be sufficient.