Memory speeds

I am looking for memory with a cas latency of 9 and mhz of 2133. But the problem i have it that whenever i go on pc part picker it says compatibility issue with my cpu. apparently my cpu (4790k) can only support 1.5 volts but all of the ddr3 2133mhz cas 9 is over that. does this cause problems if i go over this voltage limit? and another option is ddr3 1866 mhz cas 9 which is fine for voltages. at the moment i have ddr3 2133mhz for my build with cas 11 and this is fine for voltages. do you think it would be ok to exceed the voltage rate? and if you know any 1.5 volt 2133mhz cas 9 memory that would be great.

Thank you!

EDIT: what would the difference be between 2133mhz cas 11 and 1866mhz cas9?

What reason do you need your memory to be so fast for?

<p>CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.0 GHz | GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: 500GB | Case: Corsair SPEC-02 Red |PSU: Corsair 750W | OS: Windows 7 64-Bit | Mouse: Corsair M65 (Black) | Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (Black w/ Brown Switches)

What reason do you need your memory to be so fast for?

I will be running lot's of different and demanding programs at the same time (editing software,browsers,games e.c.t)

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I have a set of Corsair Vengeance Pro sticks that are 2133 MHz Cas 9. To get them to run at this speed you have to enable XMP profiles in your bios, and it'll shift from 1333 MHz @ 1.5v to 2133 MHz @ 1.65v.

This is also using an i7 4790k, and part picker is wrong it will support this extra voltage however bear in mind extra voltage = extra heat, so be sure your cooling solution can handle it.

For reference enabling XMP on these sticks raised my CPU temps by 10c, which was easily controlled on air.

Cas 11 is slower than 9 and all else being equal you'd want the lower latency number. Cas 9 isn't to hard to come by at 2133Mhz and not much of a premium (my sticks actually cost more for the 1866 versions, rest of specs are the same). Get it if you can afford and won't regret spending the money.

-snip-

Some motherboards cannot deliver the 1,65 volt required on each ram slot but this is an issue particularly with lower end motherboard

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

I agree, however if you read the OP you'll notice he specifically states

But the problem i have it that whenever i go on pc part picker it says compatibility issue with my cpu. apparently my cpu (4790k) can only support 1.5 volts

Which is bullshit. (On the basis of part picker).

I agree, however if you read the OP you'll notice he specifically states

Which is bullshit. (On the basis of part picker).

No it isn't.  PCPartPicker is going off of Intel's recommendations, which happens to be 1.5v for the 4790k.  They aren't obligated to show you what you can achieve through overclocking, you just have to realize that what their automated site recognizes as a possible compatibility issue might not actually be an issue.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

No it isn't. PCPartPicker is going off of Intel's recommendations, which happens to be 1.5v for the 4790k. They aren't obligated to show you what you can achieve through overclocking, you just have to realize that what their automated site recognizes as a possible compatibility issue might not actually be an issue.

You can take it out of context if you want/shrug. Running by your own subset of rules:

From my first post: the ram won't run at 1.65v unless you tell it to do so in your bios. It will run automatically at 1.5v at 1333mhz (or 1600 depending on model). Every single stick I've ever come across performs this way. You aren't obligated to overclock them to 2133 MHz, but you can if you want to.

For the purposes of this discussion the part picker information isn't correct, as there are no issues with the CPU and ram. If you're not overclocking the chip, and you're not xmp ing the ram they will run at 1.5v w.e MHz and be compatible with the CPU as Intel stock specs.

Edit: I was also referring to MY specific ram models in the example given in all my posts.

You can take it out of context if you want/shrug. Running by your own subset of rules:

From my first post: the ram won't run at 1.65v unless you tell it to do so in your bios. It will run automatically at 1.5v at 1333mhz (or 1600 depending on model). Every single stick I've ever come across performs this way. You aren't obligated to overclock them to 2133 MHz, but you can if you want to.

For the purposes of this discussion the part picker information isn't correct, as there are no issues with the CPU and ram. If you're not overclocking the chip, and you're not xmp ing the ram they will run at 1.5v w.e MHz and be compatible with the CPU as Intel stock specs.

Edit: I was also referring to MY specific ram models in the example given in all my posts.

If they did it that way then someone would be claiming false advertising, and you know they would.  To get the frequency and timing that the RAM is advertised as, you have to run at 1.65v, but PCPartPicker's automated system sees that Intel recommends 1.5v and so it throws up a flag, simple as that.  It isn't "bullshit", it's just not a very comprehensive system.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

The ram is compatible with the 4790k, it really is that simple.

The CPU isn't the compatibility issue, which is what's being flagged.

These profiles are also officially sanctioned which is why it's called Intel XMP: http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html.

The rated speed (2133 MHz) will take 1.65v and run on XMP profile (usually #1) because that's the spec Intel uses for that profile. Those ram sticks meet those Intel specifications.

The qualifiing factors will be other parts of your system build and not the CPU.

There no false advertising at play, The packaging even states that the advertised speeds are only available as XMP so lol at that.

The ram is compatible with the 4790k, it really is that simple.

The CPU isn't the compatibility issue, which is what's being flagged.

These profiles are also officially sanctioned which is why it's called Intel XMP: http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html.

The rated speed (2133 MHz) will take 1.65v and run on XMP profile (usually #1) because that's the spec Intel uses for that profile. Those ram sticks meet those Intel specifications.

The qualifiing factors will be other parts of your system build and not the CPU.

There no false advertising at play, The packaging even states that the advertised speeds are only available as XMP so lol at that.

I know its compatible, all I'm saying is that PCPartPicker's automated system not recognizing that isn't "bullshit".  It isn't some calculated scam, it just doesn't know any better.

We will have to agree to disagree then.

If I had gone off PCPartPicker's recommendation I would not have purchased my current ram on the statement it wasn't compatible with my CPU. I'd have bought some lesser models I didn't really want, then found out later the originals were compatible - exactly as the packaging said - but because it's an unaffiliated third party site, I couldn't return the sticks on that basis.

I refer to that as misleading or incomplete or incorrect information, but if people are happy with that caveat then so be it.

We will have to agree to disagree then.

If I had gone off PCPartPicker's recommendation I would not have purchased my current ram on the statement it wasn't compatible with my CPU. I'd have bought some lesser models I didn't really want, then found out later the originals were compatible - exactly as the packaging said - but because it's an unaffiliated third party site, I couldn't return the sticks on that basis.

I refer to that as misleading or incomplete or incorrect information, but if people are happy with that caveat then so be it.

Fair enough, I just think there has to be a caveat either way.  If it shows no compatibility issue, then it has to specify that those numbers can only be achieved through overclocking (XMP).  I have seen plenty of posts from people wondering why their 2133 RAM is only running at 1600, because they didn't know about XMP and the RAM is just running at stock speeds.

I am looking for memory with a cas latency of 9 and mhz of 2133. But the problem i have it that whenever i go on pc part picker it says compatibility issue with my cpu. apparently my cpu (4790k) can only support 1.5 volts but all of the ddr3 2133mhz cas 9 is over that. does this cause problems if i go over this voltage limit? and another option is ddr3 1866 mhz cas 9 which is fine for voltages. at the moment i have ddr3 2133mhz for my build with cas 11 and this is fine for voltages. do you think it would be ok to exceed the voltage rate? and if you know any 1.5 volt 2133mhz cas 9 memory that would be great.

Thank you!

EDIT: what would the difference be between 2133mhz cas 11 and 1866mhz cas9?

you can safely run ddr3 upto 1.7v for 27/4 use on any platform that supports ddr3. most higher speed ram kits are 1.65v which is fine. 2133 cl9 is a good speed with tight timings so that ram should be quick. you might even be able to run it at 2400mhz cl9 on the 1.65v tbh. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016