Double NAT! Help!

Hi!

I'm from Australia and I have an ADSL2+ plan with Telstra. I have a Telstra Gateway Max TG799vac Modem Router and a ASUS RT-AC87U AC2400 Router. My current setup is where the I've disabled the Wifi on the Telstra modem router and connected my Asus router to it via an ethernet cable. So now the Telstra Modem Router acts as a modem only and the router handles the Wifi. This, however, creates a Double NAT issue and I need some help eliminating this. I've tried disabling NAT on the Telstra modem router (now just a modem) and Asus router in two different occasions and both times the internet stopped working and I'm scared of messing with the settings until I know what I'm doing. Also will Double NAT affect my internet speeds? If so, by how much?

Pretty sure you just have to turn off the DCHP setting on the second router (the one connecting to the MAIN router)

| CPU: Intel Skylake i5-6600K @ 4.5Ghz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2400Mhz | MOBO: GIGABYTE Z170XP-SLI | GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 980 | HDD: 2TB, 1TB, 3x 300GB | Monitors: 1920x1080 3x1 | Windows 7 x64 Ultimate |

Pretty sure you just have to turn off the DCHP setting on the second router (the one connecting to the MAIN router)

So I should just turn off DHCP on the ASUS router?

So I should just turn off DHCP on the ASUS router?

Yeah

| CPU: Intel Skylake i5-6600K @ 4.5Ghz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2400Mhz | MOBO: GIGABYTE Z170XP-SLI | GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 980 | HDD: 2TB, 1TB, 3x 300GB | Monitors: 1920x1080 3x1 | Windows 7 x64 Ultimate |

I followed these steps:

Put the wireless router in modem's DMZ 

DMZ (demilitarized zone) is a common feature of router that allow to chose one client to which all traffic is forwarded. If your modem supports DMZ, this might be solution for you: 

1. Find out the WAN address of wireless router. For this you might need to log in to the WiFi router admin interface and look at the Status page (most router's have status pages which show relevant information about the WAN connection). 

2. Log in to the modem web administration interface, find the DMZ settings and put the WiFi router's IP WAN address there. 

Will this fix the issue?