Audio Through HDMI

Go to solution Solved by SlayerOfHellWyrm,

Got it. Turns out the new Realtek driver was interfering with my Nvidia driver, is my guess. Running the driver installer, causes it to remove the old driver, restart, install the new driver, and restart again. The reason it disappeared on me, was because I never did the 2nd restart last night once I saw I had both speakers up. This was really some other driver taking over,which given the video is coming from my 765M, I'm assuming it took over the audio portion. 

Regardless of what driver it's currently using for my audio, letting the Realtek installer remove the old driver, and then cancelling the new install has fixed the problem. The reg key edit I had before, must've enabled the driver it's currently using.

Here's the scenario:

I have a Samsung 32" Smart LED TV, hooked up to my MSI GE60-2OE via HDMI, however I cannot in Windows change the audio to output from the HDMI port, as it says nothing is plugged in.

READ BELOW BEFORE MAKING SUGGESTIONS:

My troubleshooting:

• Checked each of my cables
    • All support audio, as I can hook my TV up to another and have it play the audio of the other when muted
    • This rules out the cable
  • I am on the latest Nvidia drivers and latest Realtek driver
    • Should eliminate that as an issue, unless for whatever reason they disabled the ability in the newer drivers
  • Have tried doing restarts, and swapping to the admin account
  • Tried disabling and re-enabling sound card
  • Tried uninstalling/reinstalling driver (both sound and video)
  • Tried turning it off and on again
  • All 8.1 updates are installed

I've been searching for a bit and I'm getting frustrated that I can't find an answer.

System in question and relevant bits of info:

Check sig if you're not lazy, but for those whom are:

• MSI GE60-2OE
  • Nvidia GTX 765M
  • Realtek Audio card (not sure of exact model)
  • Generic HDMI Cable
  • Latest drivers on both
  • Win 8.1 Pro, 64-bit

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

• Realtek Audio card (not sure of exact model)

Do you have a Realtek Audio Card or is it Realtek audio integrated into the mobo?

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Probably integrated as it's a laptop, though I'm honestly not sure. 

I've also seemed to have solved the issue, it was a registry key disabling it, which I found to be super obscure...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Probably integrated as it's a laptop, though I'm honestly not sure. 

I've also seemed to have solved the issue, it was a registry key disabling it, which I found to be super obscure...

Good to hear you got it fixed.  :)

Just FYI, make sure you use quotes in the future when replying. It helps people know how the thread is progressing. 

Happy gaming.  :)

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Good to hear you got it fixed.  :)

Just FYI, make sure you use quotes in the future when replying. It helps people know how the thread is progressing. 

Happy gaming.  :)

I used the old reply back button... hadn't noticed it's been changed. Been a while since I've actually posted on here lol, used to be a few hours a day occurrence for me. Anyway, oddly enough, I'm now getting a weird issue where my volume on HDMI for the first minute of boot, is at 60%... like, I can change it, but it'll reset to 60. After about a minute though, I can finally change it without issue.

-snip-

Right click the speaker icon in the taskbar click playback devices, in the playback tab right click any blank area and select 'show disabled devices' enable any sound with the name TV, speakers or digital auido and see if it helps?

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Right click the speaker icon in the taskbar click playback devices, in the playback tab right click any blank area and select 'show disabled devices' enable any sound with the name TV, speakers or digital auido and see if it helps?

1.  Had tried that as well
  2. It's been essentially fied if you'd read a tad more :P

1.  Had tried that as well
  2. It's been essentially fied if you'd read a tad more :P

Just sometimes people forget the simplest things :P and was covering all basis, since I had that problem and it happened to me.

Also have you checked the TV settings? On my sony tv in sound options I can choose between TV speakers or audio system. Check your TV settings and switch between the two or edit the volume offset to see if it helps? :)

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Just sometimes people forget the simplest things :P and was covering all basis, since I had that problem and it happened to me.

Also have you checked the TV settings? On my sony tv in sound options I can choose between TV speakers or audio system. Check your TV settings and switch between the two or edit the volume offset to see if it helps? :)

It's not the TV, I have no idea what it is at this point. Disappeared again so... yeah.

I had it working last night, with it showing two sets of speakers, now HDMI is going back to not detected.

For the record, I didn't mean to come off as sounding like an ass, or condescending, I work in IT as a Helpdesk technician, so typically by the time I post for help, I've tried pretty much everything basic.

Got it. Turns out the new Realtek driver was interfering with my Nvidia driver, is my guess. Running the driver installer, causes it to remove the old driver, restart, install the new driver, and restart again. The reason it disappeared on me, was because I never did the 2nd restart last night once I saw I had both speakers up. This was really some other driver taking over,which given the video is coming from my 765M, I'm assuming it took over the audio portion. 

Regardless of what driver it's currently using for my audio, letting the Realtek installer remove the old driver, and then cancelling the new install has fixed the problem. The reg key edit I had before, must've enabled the driver it's currently using.