Laptop HDD running at 100% often

Howhurl
Go to solution Solved by Howhurl,

Seems like defragging helped a lot. I'll look more if I have more time. Thanks everyone!

For a month or two now, my laptop has been having issues with loading time right after i log into my windows account (basically it takes forever to get programs running after the desktop shows). I found out that my HDD is running constantly between 20-30 minutes if I start up from turned off (hibernating and sleep is a little faster). This shows the issue, and I have no idea what is going on. Can anyone diagnose this, or do I need a new HDD (this laptop is 4 months from being 3 years old, the old lenovo y500). Thanks in advance!

For a month or two now, my laptop has been having issues with loading time right after i log into my windows account (basically it takes forever to get programs running after the desktop shows). I found out that my HDD is running constantly between 20-30 minutes if I start up from turned off (hibernating and sleep is a little faster). This shows the issue, and I have no idea what is going on. Can anyone diagnose this, or do I need a new HDD (this laptop is 4 months from being 3 years old, the old lenovo y500). Thanks in advance!

Does your task manager tell you the process that is using the HDD?

It does, usually it's some windows background process, but the top 5 seems to include avast, windows system, and some other programs. I'm more concerned about the usage, total tops out at 8mb/s and hovers around 5mb/s. I don't think the HDD should be at 100% with that kind of speed.

first thing to do is defragmenting the hard drive. sit back and wait because its going to take a few hours depending on your had drive size

second go to your task manager by pressing ctrl shift esc navigate to performance tab press on resource monitor. find a disc tab and there will be listed all programs witch use your hard drive. you can sort them by read and write tabs. consider google search on particular process that use your hard drive the most.

make sure you check solved if you found answer to your question

I do check the fragmentization of my drives, and they're all showing OK. Unless that means OK, go ahead and defrag, then derp.

It does, usually it's some windows background process, but the top 5 seems to include avast, windows system, and some other programs. I'm more concerned about the usage, total tops out at 8mb/s and hovers around 5mb/s. I don't think the HDD should be at 100% with that kind of speed.

it depends on what files your hard drive read and write. hard drives usually top at 100 IOps it means it can handle up to 100 in and out operations per second. hard drives can be used 100% with few 10KB/s if program you use demands 0.1KB files at random segments of your drive. consider defragmenting your drive as it groupe all segments of files scattered on your hard drive into one file http://legacy.mcpmag.com/images/1004red_PerfectDisk_Fig1.jpg this image perfectly represents how files could be all over the place after a few years.

I do check the fragmentization of my drives, and they're all showing OK. Unless that means OK, go ahead and defrag, then derp.

you have to defragment the drive instead of just checking the defragmentation

tell us exact processes names who use your hard drive

Alright, first thing I'll do is defrag my drive once I get home and switch to my PC so I can leave my laptop alone.

The best solution is try to reinstall windows or you can use Process Explorer to analyze disk activity on every process and find which one that makes your hdd work hard

Seems like defragging helped a lot. I'll look more if I have more time. Thanks everyone!