My 970 is ticking?

Weirdybeardyman

I recently bought a new graphics card to upgrade my previous gtx 460. I bought a 970 with a reference cooler from overclockers.uk becuase i had heard very good things about it and it looks sexy.

The build quality was amazing when I got it and the performance and temps seem pretty solid. I was a bit cheesed off to find that it had an ASIC rating of 66.3% which means im not gonna be getting any amazing overclocks from it :'(

Just today as I booted my system it started making a ticking noise, my computer has never ticked before so I am assuming it is some from of coil whine tick from my graphics card, although oc.uk have apparently taken strong measures to prevent coil whine in the gpu. I doubt it is my psu, I have a decent 'tx 650?' from corsair and my new gpu isnt drawing any more power than the previous one was. If anyone could help me out in diagnosing the ticking that would be great.

It is fairly loud so im pretty annoyed. It isnt regular enough to be a cable hitting a fan because it is two ticks close together followed by a couple seconds before they tick again. There are two definite ticks, a tick and a tock.

So yeh, sorry for the long windedness of the post but hopefully if anyone can give me and pointers as to the cause I would be very grateful. 

I read a review on the GPU on OcUk that reported exactly the same issue... He said that turning up the fan speed resolved the issue. No idea what causes it though. Make a webnote on Overclockers UK, they're usually pretty helpful on there. 

I read a review on the GPU on OcUk that reported exactly the same issue... He said that turning up the fan speed resolved the issue. No idea what causes it though. Make a webnote on Overclockers UK, they're usually pretty helpful on there. 

Ok thanks for the tips :D