EVGA 600B any good for gaming?

Go to solution Solved by ForsakenLive,

You could power that with 400W and still have some headroom.

However I wouldn't recommend it. When buying a PSU it's not all about the brand, but the quality of the product and the manufacturer. EVGA's B series PSUs are HEC OEM units, they are middle of the road mostly decent products, although sometimes they are pretty crappy (like Raidmax PSUs, which are also HEC OEMs). The 600B as well as the 500B are not bad thanks to EVGA quality control, but there are better choices out there.

Seasonic S12II 520W http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii520bronze

XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

Hey guys, 

I'm planning on getting a new gaming pc soon and now I'm wondering, is the EVGA 600B any good?

my specs will be :

CPU : Intel Core i5 4440

GPU : Gigabyte Windforce 2GB Nvidia GTX 960

MOBO : MSI Z87-G43

HDD : 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX

RAM : 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance

Case : Antec GX500

After using some Wattage calculators I came to the conclusion that 600W should be more than enough to power my PC.

I found the EVGA 600B, read some reviews but now I'm not sure if it'll be good enough when my pc is under full load..

And if not, do you have any other recommendation for a good PS which doesn't cost too much?

Thanks! :)

that will be enough even with maximum overclocks.

shop around though, and see if there are better 600w options, however that psu is in no means bad, and will suffice.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

You could power that with 400W and still have some headroom.

However I wouldn't recommend it. When buying a PSU it's not all about the brand, but the quality of the product and the manufacturer. EVGA's B series PSUs are HEC OEM units, they are middle of the road mostly decent products, although sometimes they are pretty crappy (like Raidmax PSUs, which are also HEC OEMs). The 600B as well as the 500B are not bad thanks to EVGA quality control, but there are better choices out there.

Seasonic S12II 520W http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii520bronze

XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

really helpful answer!

So I could also take the Seasonic S12II 620W to leave some space open for future upgrades?

It definitely looks better than the EVGA 600B though!

really helpful answer!

So I could also take the Seasonic S12II 620W to leave some space open for future upgrades?

It definitely looks better than the EVGA 600B though!

Well, for starters it's from an actual manufacturer instead of a rebrand, they often keep the best stuff for themselves. Most XFX PSUs are literally a Seasonic PSU with an XFX label, so again, top notch quality there.

It's hard to think of a 620W PSU instead of a 520W for extra upgrades, specially with that i5, as the components are only getting more efficient, and Dual GPUs (SLI/xfire) will require more than 620W. If you are a bit concerned, and want to be sure that any single CPU and single GPU config will work and can afford the extra cost, go for 600W+ then; more watts doesn't do any harm, in fact most of the times you get a quieter system thanks to it.

Well, for starters it's from an actual manufacturer instead of a rebrand, they often keep the best stuff for themselves. Most XFX PSUs are literally a Seasonic PSU with an XFX label, so again, top notch quality there.

It's hard to think of a 620W PSU instead of a 520W for extra upgrades, specially with that i5, as the components are only getting more efficient, and Dual GPUs (SLI/xfire) will require more than 620W. If you are a bit concerned, and want to be sure that any single CPU and single GPU config will work and can afford the extra cost, go for 600W+ then; more watts doesn't do any harm, in fact most of the times you get a quieter system thanks to it.

Well, I'm not planning on upgrading the pc really..

By the time that an upgrade would be necessary it'll be just as outdated as my current pc and then it's time for a new one..

That's also why I chose these parts, hoping for it to last a while. So I might just get the 520W model then. :)