Which one should i take ?

keycolony
Go to solution Solved by Lord_Karango17,

Yeah you are right but on the AMD side the Asus Matrix platinum card is available for the 290X and for the Nvidia side "just" the Asus Strix card and im pretty sure that the Matrix AMD card overclocks like a beast and a Strix card will not overclock that good or ? Im also not sure if Crossfire supports Freesync cause when i buy amd i will go for Crossfire and Freesync and with an Nvidia card for sli and g sync. 

While the matrix range of gpus are generally beasts, it isnt quite that simple, as overclocking is also dependent on the way the gpu core itself is built, and the maxwell series of gpus tend to overclock well regardless of which brand you go for.

The strix 970 can most likely still get up to the clocks i stated before, even though it may be a lower end asus design...

and even with crossfire/ sli, the respective variable refresh rate monitor will still work (ie, free sync will work fine with crossfire, and g-sync will still work with sli)

Im will go for an Sli/Crossfire setup in my pc but i really dont know which card i should buy 2gtx 970 or 2 R9 290X. Which one is faster and which one will perform better in games ?

Im will go for an Sli/Crossfire setup in my pc but i really dont know which card i should buy 2gtx 970 or 2 R9 290X. Which one is faster and which one will perform better in games ?

The 2 cards perform similarly at stock clocks, with a light vram advantage for the amd side (regarding the whole 3.5 gb ram debacle with the gtx 970), however it is also dependent on your case airflow, and PSU, as the 290x's will consume substantially more power, and release much more heat than the 970's.

If you are into overclocking, the 970 will be the bees knees, as many of them can reach 1500mhz (partly due to their lower power requirements/ and heat output) rivaling the performance of a stock 980, while the 290/290x dont take kindly to overclocking...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

970 cooler and a little faster

290 more VRAM if you even care.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

The 2 cards perform similarly at stock clocks, with a light vram advantage for the amd side (regarding the whole sectioned off ram debacle), however it is also dependent on your case airflow, and PSU, as the 290x's will consume substantially more power, and release much more heat than the 970's.

If you are into overclocking, the 970 will be the bees knees, as many of them can reach 1500mhz rivaling the performance of a stock 980, while the 290/290x dont take kindly to overclocking...

Yeah you are right but on the AMD side the Asus Matrix platinum card is available for the 290X and for the Nvidia side "just" the Asus Strix card and im pretty sure that the Matrix AMD card overclocks like a beast and a Strix card will not overclock that good or ? Im also not sure if Crossfire supports Freesync cause when i buy amd i will go for Crossfire and Freesync and with an Nvidia card for sli and g sync. 

qoZroXQ.pngI'm pretty sure you are Team Green, no? :P

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

While the matrix range of gpus are generally beasts, it isnt quite that simple, as overclocking is also dependent on the way the gpu core itself is built, and the maxwell series of gpus tend to overclock well regardless of which brand you go for.

The strix 970 can most likely still get up to the clocks i stated before, even though it may be a lower end asus design...

and even with crossfire/ sli, the respective variable refresh rate monitor will still work (ie, free sync will work fine with crossfire, and g-sync will still work with sli)

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Yeah you are right but on the AMD side the Asus Matrix platinum card is available for the 290X and for the Nvidia side "just" the Asus Strix card and im pretty sure that the Matrix AMD card overclocks like a beast and a Strix card will not overclock that good or ?

Im also not sure if Crossfire supports Freesync cause when i buy amd i will go for Crossfire and Freesync and with an Nvidia card for sli and g sync. 

1. Umm... There's also Gigabyte, MSI, Zotac, Evga...?
  2. Crossfire/SLI and Freesync/G-Sync aren't really relevant to eachother. One is in the GPU, and one is in the monitor. They'll work together quite nicely in theory.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)