MSI GTX 770 lightning fan slowing down & stopping

Cosmos_i7

Hi all,

I started to notice that an odd sound was coming from my GTX 770. I noticed that the fan towards the rear was spinning a lot slower than the fan in front of it and it was making a noise similar to a train running over tracks. Sometimes the fan would completely stop leaving only the front one cooling the GPU. It hasn't caused any issues purely because I haven't been using my PC for intensive tasks lately, but in the summer I plan to. I was wondering if anyone knows what I should do to fix this problem.

Thanks! 

Hi all,

I started to notice that an odd sound was coming from my GTX 770. I noticed that the fan towards the rear was spinning a lot slower than the fan in front of it and it was making a noise similar to a train running over tracks. Sometimes the fan would completely stop leaving only the front one cooling the GPU. It hasn't caused any issues purely because I haven't been using my PC for intensive tasks lately, but in the summer I plan to. I was wondering if anyone knows what I should do to fix this problem.

Thanks!

rma if you can if not tie a 120mm case fan to it.

Hi all,

Thanks! 

The fan may be broken. Can you replace it?

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

rma if you can if not tie a 120mm case fan to it.

It's not an issue yet since I'm barely using it so it is being kept cool enough for now even with just one fan. I think I might try and contact MSI support soon

The fan may be broken. Can you replace it?

I think the fan might be broken but I'm not sure how to replace, if it is even possible. That would make it a lot easier. 

It's not an issue yet since I'm barely using it so it is being kept cool enough for now even with just one fan. I think I might try and contact MSI support soon

I think the fan might be broken but I'm not sure how to replace, if it is even possible. That would make it a lot easier. 

I found the fans that are used on the card on ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/95mm-Video-Card-Cooling-GPU-Dual-Fan-4-MSI-GTX680-GTX770-PLD10015B12H-0-55A-3012-/111655442654?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ff2ed8de

This page shows the card dismantled and the fan model number can be seen: http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1054&page=2

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

I don't really know what is wrong with it now though. I booted into windows and I checked MSI afterburner, the fan power is at 33%, but the fan tachometer says the fans are ramping up and down very aggressively, I can also hear it. Sounds like a plane on take off. The fan tachometer graph looks like a heartbeat. I'm a bit clueless now. 

I don't really know what is wrong with it now though. I booted into windows and I checked MSI afterburner, the fan power is at 33%, but the fan tachometer says the fans are ramping up and down very aggressively, I can also hear it. Sounds like a plane on take off. The fan tachometer graph looks like a heartbeat. I'm a bit clueless now. 

Are you running a custom fan profile? Can you put a screen cap of the fan speed window.

Spoiler

• 4 months later...

I just recently bought used 770 Lightning... And I have the exact same problem...
1 fan rattles and spins slowly or stops completly, the other one spins kinda fast, no rattle thou...

After I installed drivers(no matter the version) the card goes insane... rpms from 900-2400 in seconds...

I just recently bought used 770 Lightning... And I have the exact same problem...

1 fan rattles and spins slowly or stops completly, the other one spins kinda fast, no rattle thou...

After I installed drivers(no matter the version) the card goes insane... rpms from 900-2400 in seconds...

Hi there,

Since I posted this thread I managed to source some replacement fans off eBay. The model number is: PLD10015B12H.

I ended up opening the card and replacing the fans, which was fairly intuitive but I had to slightly bend a cable clip to remove the fan cable. The problem came when I started to remove the compound off the GPU itself and I feel like I may have damaged it.

So this meant that the GPU worked for a while with the fans running smoothly. Though eventually the card completely failed, due to the GPU itself.

What I'm saying is the fans are the issue, if you can replace those then you'll have the problem solved. Just be very very careful when dealing with the GPU chip itself. I ended up buying a GTX 970 in the end.

So yes it's the fans themselves not software.

What bothers me the most is this thing... (I mean the fan tachometer)

FjhJMxy.png

What bothers me the most is this thing... (I mean the fan tachometer)

FjhJMxy.png

Mine looked exactly like that. Even though the fan speed setting was fixed. I believe the fans are faulty and replacing them fixes that issue. When I replaced them they behaved normally. Though I'm running a hackintosh I noticed in Windows it did that up and down speed. But in Mac it just ran at a constant slow speed which I thought was odd.

The thing is... Tachometer loses its mind when drivers are installed... Without drivers its kinda loud, but fans dont jump around...
FML...

The thing is... Tachometer loses its mind when drivers are installed... Without drivers its kinda loud, but fans dont jump around...

FML...

I noticed the same when i installed a new driver, as soon as I rebooted it started doing this. I'm clueless as to why. Seems like you had the same problem as me.

I noticed the same when i installed a new driver, as soon as I rebooted it started doing this. I'm clueless as to why. Seems like you had the same problem as me.

I tried all of these driver versions... 306.97 / 320.49 / 331.65 / 355.82

After every install tachometer loses it...

I could fix the rattle, but damn that tachometer...

Hi all,

Thanks! 

Bearing is broken.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO