Website for File Server

ChineseChef

I am rather computer savvy, but not so much with web stuff.  What I want to do is make a website, that is really nothing more than a log in, and then a file listing.  I don't need or want it to be public access out side of specific accounts I create on the back end.  I don't want any info on contacting the owner or anything like that.  It doesn't have to be pretty, the more basic the better.  A simple directory tree is really all I want.

My goal is to be able to have my file server at my house, and have a web interface for it.  The purpose being so that I or people I give accounts to can download my files without having to VPN in or without me having to give them files on flash drives.  Naturally, I would like it to be as secure as possible, and I would be more than willing to trade most functionality for more security.

I really have no idea if this is feasible, or if there is a totally better much easier way.  Most of the files are media, but I don't want to stream it (tried Plex and such).  I would much rather just do single file transfers.  And plenty of it is not video, so you can't really stream that anyway.

I understand there are services like Dropbox and such, but I have over 50 TB of data, and uploading that all at once just isn't feasible.  My upload speed is nothing fast, but it is plenty fast for my purpose.  I would like to be able to limit the speed files are uploaded, if this could be controlled by time of day that would be nice but isn't required.

Thanks for your input.

(Sorry if this is the wrong section, didn't really know where to put this one)

search how to make a FTP server

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Well, the easiest thing will be something like a small php script, owncloud would probably work well but I'm not sure how it handles lots of files and the ability to import them easily(or use oc for it's webdav functionality but you might as well just do that with another application). And of course you still have other options like sftp( and other ftp- ariants, but please just avoid plaintext ftp), scp, etc

As said an FTP server seems ideal for your situation. 

FTP:

"Short for File Transfer Protocol, the protocol for exchanging files over the Internet. FTP works in the same way as HTTP for transferring Web pages from a server to a user's browser and SMTP for transferring electronic mail across the Internet in that, like these technologies, FTP uses the Internet's TCP/IP protocols to enable data transfer."

It basically allows you to connect to a server that can link to files in your local network or local system from anywhere or nowhere.

This is the best ftp server software as it is open source and widely used. It also has great tutorials: FileZilla.

You can use client software on a different machine to connect such as the FileZilla client or use websites that act as a proxy(kind of). I found this with a quick google search:http://www.net2ftp.com/

Personally though if you are looking for security there is not much you can do with ftp without spending lots of time creating your own system. The best thing to do is to change the servers ports to be different to the defaults as these are often targeted most be bots, hackers etc.

Hope this helps, some of the info is probably a bit dodgy as I'm no expert but it should give you a good starting point!

I did think about doing ftp/sftp.  My only issue with that is the need to use a separate program.  I wanted to be able to open a web browser, type in an address, and then log in, get a file tree, and just click to download.  Plus this is partly to get past local system security, where I can't install programs on my work computer, but want to be able to download books or something. 

Unless you can use a browser to display the available files on an FTP server.

I did think about doing ftp/sftp.  My only issue with that is the need to use a separate program.  I wanted to be able to open a web browser, type in an address, and then log in, get a file tree, and just click to download.  Plus this is partly to get past local system security, where I can't install programs on my work computer, but want to be able to download books or something. 

Unless you can use a browser to display the available files on an FTP server.

you can open and download from ftp server with any browser