2nd GTX 970 for 4K monitor (advice needed)

yyyy1234

Hello,

Since i only have basic knowledge about PC's I have a few questions about a 2nd graphic card and also about a new monitor. Since both questions are related to eachother I will put them into this topic hoping that someone here can advice me on what i should do:

2 months ago I build my first self built pc (simply following "how to build a gaming pc tutorial") which the following are the specs of:

i7 - 4790K
ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Corsair H100i
16GB
Corsair 750W
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB
128GB SSD
1TB HD

Corsair 500r case

Now the problem is im currently using an old 19" monitor with weird resolution and im looking to upgrade my main monitor and use the current one as 2nd screen.

What i had in mind is buying the Samsung U28D590D so i can use 4k resolution. I assume that one GTX970 is not enough to run 4k so i would have to buy a 2nd one to use it for SLI as well

Now my questions:

1) Are 2 x GTX 970's enough to run games (for example BF4) with decent frames per second on 4k?

2) Is 750W enough to add another GTX 970?

3) Is it possible to have a 4K monitor as main screen and use a 19" old monitor as 2nd screen?

4) In this picture you can see that just below my graphic card there is an audio cable put on that motherboard. This would interfere with placing a 2nd graphic card right below the one i have now. Does it matter for a SLI setup that the graphic cards are right below eachother or is any slot fine? (http://i.imgur.com/1ZdNy5y.jpg - sorry for the bad quality/lighting)

5) What would be the best possible option to have the best quality settings going from graphic cards to a 4K screen? With the regular 'graphic card to monitor cable' or make use from the HDMI input on the monitor i want to get with some sort of cable that goes from graphic card to HDMI (do these even exist?)

As you may have noticed i might not be using the right terms to describe what i mean since english is my 3rd language. Im hoping that someone here with more knowledge about this matter could answer my questions or can give me general advice what would be the best thing to do...

cheers :D

750W is enough for a second GTX 970 and Yes you are able to have your 4K monitor as a Primary while the other is a secondary :)

1. not maxed out obviously but you should get 60FPS at 4K with 970SLI

2. 750W is perfect for 970 SLI :)

4. don't use front audio, it has worse quality but you should be able to route the cable somehow anyway.

5. Anything that gives you 60hz at 4K is a good cable.

Actually one 970s is enough. You can run 4k pretty well on a single 970 as long as you're willing to turn down some of the filters, and I can guarantee you, you won't miss ambient occlusion when you see how good stuff looks at 4k.

That said:

1) yes, on very high settings too, as I said one card can do what you ask just fine

2) yes

3) of course

4) if you tuck the cable between the gpu and the motherboard there should be no clearance problem

5) You must use displayport 1.2

Don't buy that monitor by the way, it's meh. Get the Dell P2415Q

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

There is only one connection option for you, DisplayPort. You won't be able to get 3840x2160 at 60Hz over HDMI on that monitor, you can only do it on monitors which support HDMI 2.0, which only one or two monitors do at the moment.

There may be better options than the Samsung or any other 28" TN 4K monitor, such as the Dell P2715Q, although pricing depends on your region.

750W is enough for 970 SLI

Yes, you can use your old monitor as a secondary.

2x 970 can be adequate for 4K depending on the game and your settings, if you disable AA you can usually get 40-50fps at max settings on most games.

Any PCIe slot is fine for SLI, it doesn't matter.

1.) Yes you should be perfectly fine with that. I can run it just fine with 2 780's.

2.) Yes again

3.) Technically you can, its just that with my experience, using a 4k monitor and a lower res one scaling is kinda weird. so like say they are both the same size, a 4k and a 1080. The 1080 monitor would show up in windows as only being 1/4 the size of the 4k monitor. So to scroll the mouse over to that screen you would have to go half way up the 4k one. Idk if i'm making any sense right now but point is yeah it'll work its just kinda weird with the resolution difference. But you should be fine.

4.) Any slot is fine as long as your mobo supports sli, which most do. You just have to have an sli bridge that works. Typically people just use the sli ribbon bridge that comes in the box with the cards that support it, but you can also get some fancy looking ones if you care about the looks of it. My cards are spaced 4 slots apart because the water blocks on them are pretty big.

5.) Your best setup would be to use displayport which the 4k monitor will support. Second best would be hdmi, but you can't get more than 30fps with that. And lastly there is a way to convert the other connections (VGA -blue- or DVI -white- i'm guessing you're talking about) to displayport or hdmi. You can buy connectors for that, but i really wouldn't recommend it as the quality would suck due to really low bandwidth.

Just a normal guy with a constant desire to modify everything he owns. 

Check out my current build here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

Thanks everyone for the fast and detailed answers that sums up a lot of things for me. I will definitely reconsider my choice of the monitor.