BSOD - Win8.1 Pro (WTF) & Rant

Go to solution Solved by DacStugly,

The problem has been solved. Use a win 8.1 install CD repair effected partitions. Uninstall Avast. Re install drivers and installed AVG. Hopefully as @GoodBytes pointed out Win10 will be better at handling these issues. A single application should not cripple an entire system.

The has been no hardware related failure on the RIG using Linux and after uninstalling Avast.

I just ran an update on my Antivirus software (AVAST) on system restart it gave me the BSOD and spewed something like:

File:/boot/BCD

Storage fix blah blah blah!!

Any one here have any clue. Re installing is not an option (it shouldn't be).

Rant:

Firstly i am not a windows/mac/linux fanboy so here it goes. Mac's to expensive for me and windows was well windows and I switched to linux and it was hell after 7 years my laptop has not been re installed in 4 years (running arch linux). My windows system (which was preiously Mint), I've reinstalled the OS twice in the last 6 months. WTF seriously. Am i doing something wrong here.

OK my dekstop was not turned off for the last 14+ days. But does it really matter. In linux worse case scenario i boot using another ISO chroot in to the system and most of the time am able to restore what ever just f*ked up the system. How do i do this in windows. (Pointers to good guide will do). not chroot but some way of getting control over my system instead of just reinstalling the OS.

Anyway after about 30mins of swapping ss/h/d it finally booted and is now performing disk check. The truth is win8.1 looks good,  functions and works well most of the time. IMHO even better than windows 7. But really a antivirus update and it gets all weird on me.

Most of the time BSOD mean hardware issue. If you are lucky, driver bug issue (a bug so sever, that Windows is unable to restart the driver for a certain reason, such as it corrupted memory of the hardware, and the hardware has no recovery system implemented). BSODs are errors that the Operating System can't handle.

The error code, which you decided was not important by you "blah blah", pin point to the problem.

Your anti-virus was just the thing that made the faulty hardware fault appear. It could have been a Windows Update, or any other software update.

Most of the time BSOD mean hardware issue. If you are lucky, driver bug issue (a bug so sever, that Windows is unable to restart the driver for a certain reason, such as it corrected the memory of the hardware, and the hardware has no recovery system implemented). BSODs are errors that the Operating System can't handle.

The error code, which you decided was not important by you "blah blah", pin point to the problem.

Your anti-virus was just the thing that make the faulty hardware fault appear. It could have been a Windows Update, or any other software update.

I get what you are saying. Currently the system was able to boot up and continue to Disk Check. Will know if there is any persistent hardware failure after that round. So in other words it could be hardware or just a driver. Since the OS in unable to handle the error. the code is 0x000092.

Booting using a linux kernel how ever seems to work just fine? hence me ruling out the hardware issue.

For my knowledge is the BSOD occurs during the kernel boot or when it loads other services and modules. (which ever is the correct windows equivalent)

For any future problems you can try Microsoft's official Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (DaRT).

I'mt going through the site and MS requires you to sign up for MDOP to use this tool? how do i get it?

Different OS works differently. The fault might have been entirely avoided for years and years.

You see this often when people upgrade to downgrade even between version of Windows. Everything worked great before, now they have faulty RAM or faulty drive, or faulty SATA cable, or graphics card, etc. Put the old OS, and hey everything is fine. They RMA the faulty part now everything works great on both versions. Despite Windows 10 being the most tested Windows ever, due to the very successful technical preview program it is hosting, expect to see people coming in here reporting BSODs)

However, it isn't to say that it is not an OS bug, of course. But I did say, "most of the time" in my previous post. But those bugs are rare, unless changes is done on the kernel between versions of Windows. But that only applies to a new version of Windows. All BSODs are sent to Microsoft to analysis. Windows 8.1 has been a while out, and I assume it was fully updated, so the chances that it is an OS bug is slim. I mean it must be some bad luck right there, else it would widely knowledge that a specific set of action causes a BSOD, if you know what I mean.

Microsoft is improving how it handles hardware failures on every version of Windows. Remember how if you take the drive out of your system, and plug it on a drastically different system it BSOD? Or it works, but not right? Well with Windows 10, currently at least, it no longer BSOD, but rather re-detect the new hardware at startup, install the drivers, than start successfully, and remains robust. Very interesting. One thing I didn't test, as I don't have access to one, is to pass the system drive from Intel CPU to an AMD one, and see if it works.

It also good to keep in mind that consumer grade hardware, even the best quality of them aren't passing 97% reliable (usually 95-97%). That is why server grade component are much more expensive. They are rigorously tested, include better more costly circuitry design, and of course ECC memory, and a bunch of error check modules everywhere, just to push it to 99%. So it could have been just bad luck there.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem has been solved. Use a win 8.1 install CD repair effected partitions. Uninstall Avast. Re install drivers and installed AVG. Hopefully as @GoodBytes pointed out Win10 will be better at handling these issues. A single application should not cripple an entire system.

The has been no hardware related failure on the RIG using Linux and after uninstalling Avast.