Should I buy a new 'UPS' for my new 'PSU'?

VenkiPhy6
Go to solution Solved by VenkiPhy6,

I have a Proview 600 UPS which is a 600VA UPS(it is easily 6+ years old now). Also, I recently upgraded my PC to a Corsair CX500 PSU which is a 500W PSU with 80PLUS Bronze rating. Now when there are power cuts the PC shuts down immediately. But the UPS seems to be working(i.e) after the PC shuts down it stays ON and starts beeping to indicate it is running off of its battery. When there is normal power supply, the PC works just fine. This is because, by my guessing, the UPS can't supply enough power to my PSU when the power cuts off and the UPS shuts OFF followed immediately by the PC. Subsequently, the UPS switches back ON since there is nothing drawing power from it now and starts beeping.

So is it time for me to buy a new UPS? If yes, what VA rating should it have?(I guess it should be 750VA since taking into account power factor it will give me 450W which seems enough but I am not sure if this gives enough overclocking headroom.) If not, what is issue here? Is it just the UPS battery?

I am pretty much doing guess work here. I don't know much about UPS and I would love some help. 

Here is an overview of my rig's specs:-

APU : AMD A10 7700k

Motherboard : AsRock FM2A88X+ BTC 

RAM : G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB(4GB x 2) DDR3 @ 2133MhZ

PSU : Corsair builder series CX500 

Graphics card : AMD Radeon R7 250 1GB GDDR5 

EDIT:- Note that my 18.5" Dell 1920f LCD monitor is also plugged into the UPS.

My build log(in progress): http://bit.ly/1CMaebR

Cheers & Ciao!

Venki

I'd guess it can't output enough, what else do you have plugged into the UPS?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'd guess it can't output enough, what else do you have plugged into the UPS?

Forgot to mention that my 18.5" Dell 1920f LCD monitor is also plugged into the UPS.

Cheers & Ciao!

Venki

the efficiency of a UPS will diminish after years. mine has been in service 9 years,

but last last year, it got to where the "up-time" without power was reduced. after

testing the onboard batteries, one was weak and the other was essentially a

dead-puppy. found some higher Mah rated batteries and went from less than a

minute to 30 minutes under load. stock was 21 minutes (when new).

on the UPS is:

PC (4770k/780)

24" monitor

speakers

modem and router

-SNIP-

If it immediately powers off and starts beeping during a brownout or power outage it's probably not supply enough power since a 600VA UPS can only supply 600W with perfect power factor most places only have around 0.8-0.9 PF at most. I would say 750VA is a good choice if you have a bad PF of 0.6 giving 450W max however make sure your UPS is pure sinewave or approximated sinewave I usually recommend APC UPS's if you have them around in your area.

If it immediately powers off and starts beeping during a brownout or power outage it's probably not supply enough power since a 600VA UPS can only supply 600W with perfect power factor most places only have around 0.8-0.9 PF at most. I would say 750VA is a good choice if you have a bad PF of 0.6 giving 450W max however make sure your UPS is pure sinewave or approximated sinewave I usually recommend APC UPS's if you have them around in your area.

From the comments I think I will go for a new UPS.

BTW Yes, APC is available. Also it seems that there aren't 750VA UPS'. There is 600VA, 700VA and then 800VA. When looking at the prices a 700VA UPS is almost twice the cost of a 600VA !!!! But a 800VA is just in INR Rs.500(which is approx. in USD $ 7.96) or so more than a 700VA UPS. So I am thinking of going for a 800VA UPS considering the value. I am eyeing this. Good enough?

Cheers & Ciao!

Venki

As of May 2014, Forbes estimates that UPS is worth 90 Billion US Dollars ( http://www.forbes.com/companies/united-parcel-service/) Wouldn't buy new if I were you.

Just kidding.  Sorry, I don't really know much about UPS, can't really help other than making you roll your eyes

LOLZ, mate!! Nice one there!  :D

Cheers & Ciao!

Venki

Are you trying to send a "USP" using "UPS"?

That may cause an issue

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Forgot to mention that my 18.5" Dell 1920f LCD monitor is also plugged into the UPS.

Yeah, id guess youre drawing a bit more than it can output, I'd suggest getting one thats around 1,5x as powerful or around there,

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

From the comments I think I will go for a new UPS.

BTW Yes, APC is available. Also it seems that there aren't 750VA UPS'. There is 600VA, 700VA and then 800VA. When looking at the prices a 700VA UPS is almost twice the cost of a 600VA !!!! But a 800VA is just in INR Rs.500(which is approx. in USD $ 7.96) or so more than a 700VA UPS. So I am thinking of going for a 800VA UPS considering the value. I am eyeing this. Good enough?

Yes that's a good one do note the up-time it has on battery power since that's what will matter the most in a power outage. Yeah the prices do jump a fair bit once it get past the 750VA.

Yeah, id guess youre drawing a bit more than it can output, I'd suggest getting one thats around 1,5x as powerful or around there,

No it's fine UPS's can supply 100% with no problem they have a supply cut off, I've run UPS's at 100% load almost.

Yes that's a good one do note the up-time it has on battery power since that's what will matter the most in a power outage. Yeah the prices do jump a fair bit once it get past the 750VA.

I will, even on 100% load with my rig will not exceed 400W or so, I suppose. The graph seems to show it will give me a 2 minute window in case there is a power cut. That would be more than enough even for my mom to close all apps and switch off the PC!  ;)  So that will do. 

Cheers & Ciao!

Venki

Hey, I just realized something! That CX500 PSU has Active Power Factor Correction 0.99 . So should I get a pure sine wave UPS compulsorily or is it fine to get a approx. sine wave UPS like the one I just have ordered and not able to cancel????!!!!  :(  :o  

EDIT:- Contacted customer support and cancelled. Woof! Thank god I didn't choose 1 day delivery ! It would've become pretty difficult to cancel it then.

EDIT:- I have even contacted Corsair tech support about this. Lets see what they seem to think...

Cheers & Ciao!

Venki

I will, even on 100% load with my rig will not exceed 400W or so, I suppose. The graph seems to show it will give me a 2 minute window in case there is a power cut. That would be more than enough even for my mom to close all apps and switch off the PC!  ;)  So that will do. 

Don't forget to take into account that your rig will pull more power from the wall than it uses, as the efficiency of power supplies is not 100%, some energy will be lost to heat and such when converting it.

Hey, I just realized something! That CX500 PSU has Active Power Factor Correction 0.99 . So should I get a pure sine wave UPS compulsorily or is it fine to get a approx. sine wave UPS like the one I just have ordered and not able to cancel????!!!! :(:o

EDIT:- Contacted customer support and cancelled. Woof! Thank god I didn't choose 1 day delivery ! It would've become pretty difficult to cancel it then.

EDIT:- I have even contacted Corsair tech support about this. Lets see what they seem to think...

A pure or approximated sine wave is recommended since square sine wave UPS have caused issues with some PSU back in the day where they shut down when the battery backup kicks in. As for the PF correction on the PSU it's to ensure the PSU can deliver it's specified 500W even if there is a bad power factor of 0.6 from the wall. See what Corsair says it would't hurt but I believe that should be the only thing it really affects.

I asked Corsair:

I have a step approximated sine wave 800VA UPS( http://bit.ly/1HUCDhQ ). Will it run fine with the CX500 PSU which has Active PFC? Or will it damage the PSU?

This is what Corsair tech support said and I quote

To maintain our advertised efficiency ratings, a true sine wave UPS is recommended. Here's a good read regarding UPS: 

"...power supplies that employ active PFC can drop the load and reboot the system when a simulated sine-wave UPS system is used. Another issue with simulated sine-wave with active PFC power supplies is that the PSU efficiency will drop tremendously." 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1305395/the-uninterrupting-uninterruptible-power-supply-ups-guide

I asked 'Will it work?' and they said 'We recommend'. Does this mean 'It will work buddy but we wouldn't advice you to go with it' or 'Don't do it, it won't work'..... I dunno. So i need help from you guys.

A pure or approximated sine wave is recommended since square sine wave UPS have caused issues with some PSU back in the day where they shut down when the battery backup kicks in. As for the PF correction on the PSU it's to ensure the PSU can deliver it's specified 500W even if there is a bad power factor of 0.6 from the wall. See what Corsair says it would't hurt but I believe that should be the only thing it really affects.

Wait .... that UPS I showed you earlier says 'step approximated wave'...I suppose that basically means 'square sine wave'. Also as you could have read from Corsair's reply PF correction PSU seem to demand true or rather 'truer' sine waves.

BTW, if I am going to need pure sine waves....I would have to pretty much sell my PSU and get a new one without active PFC. 

Cheers & Ciao!

Venki

I asked Corsair:

This is what Corsair tech support said and I quote

I asked 'Will it work?' and they said 'We recommend'. Does this mean 'It will work buddy but we wouldn't advice you to go with it' or 'Don't do it, it won't work'..... I dunno. So i need help from you guys.

Wait .... that UPS I showed you earlier says 'step approximated wave'...I suppose that basically means 'square sine wave'. Also as you could have read from Corsair's reply PF correction PSU seem to demand true or rather 'truer' sine waves.

BTW, if I am going to need pure sine waves....I would have to pretty much sell my PSU and get a new one without active PFC.

I personally use an APC UPS on a stepped approximated sine wave with no problems on a Cosair AX760, stepped approximated in between square and pure sine wave where isn't not perfectly smooth like a pure sine wave but stepped so it matches closely. The issues with square sine wave are some PSU think of it as bad power and to protect itself will shut down or turn off once the battery backup kicks in.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/True%2520vs%2520stepped%2520sine.png

I personally use an APC UPS on a stepped approximated sine wave with no problems on a Cosair AX760, stepped approximated in between square and pure sine wave where isn't not perfectly smooth like a pure sine wave but stepped so it matches closely. The issues with square sine wave are some PSU think of it as bad power and to protect itself will shut down or turn off once the battery backup kicks in.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/True%2520vs%2520stepped%2520sine.png

Oh! That explains it. All these UPS manufacturers have different jargon and it is pretty intimidating and confusing for a noob buyer. Since you are saying it works fine with a AX760 I am gonna go ahead and buy the UPS I showed you before or maybe go for a higher VA.

Cheers & Ciao!

Venki

That will definitely give you a lot of extra overhead if you plan to plug in a bunch of other stuff like routers and modems during a power outage atleast you'll still have access to the Internet.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanna update that I bought the UPS I mentioned last and it works great! Thanks everyone for your help, especially to, @W-L ! Cheers!  :)

Cheers & Ciao!

Venki