Ultrabook or Notebook?

DotoreN

I've made a few recent threads about whether I should take 13inch or 15inch and what specs I should be looking into if i'm using my laptop primarily for programming uses (mysql, java, php, python, c++, c etc)

I came across some really nice ultrabooks such as:

Dell XPS 13

Asus Ln303

Suggestions are welcome!

but I also came across a bulky notebook: Asus n551jk.

My question to you: I prefer an ultrabook, but are the microprocessors good enough for my uses if the ultrabook comes with enough RAM? or is it really recommended to take a notebook (as they have stronger cpu's)?

And if the microprocessors (in ultrabooks) are good enough for these tasks, which intel cpu should I 'atleast' take.

For programming, an XPS 13 or equivalent ultrabook should be fine with an i5-i7 low power/normal cpu. (JUST DON'T get anything with a Core M)

ACS Systems - Jason Neal

My "Danger Den" PC: i7-4960x @ 4.5Ghz, ASUS X79 Deluxe, 3x GTX Titan Black, 6x m4 512GB, 64GB Corsair DDR3-2400, Corsair AX1500i

Black Beauty Workstation/LAN PC: i5-4570 @ 3.79 GHz, ASRock Z87E-ITX, XFX Double D R9-280 (Non-X), GSkill 8GB DDR3-2400

For programming, an XPS 13 or equivalent ultrabook should be fine with an i5-i7 low power/normal cpu. (JUST DON'T get anything with a Core M)

Core M is worst than the micro cpus?

The only reason I'm not taking the dell xps 13, is that the (11inch) body is a bit too small for me, I have yet to find the "perfect" one ;p

The only reason I'm not taking the dell xps 13, is that the (11inch) body is a bit too small for me, I have yet to find the "perfect" one ;p

I find in my use cases Core M cpus aren't very useful. Sure you can get fanless laptops (see Macbook 12"), but it is not worth the money.

ACS Systems - Jason Neal

My "Danger Den" PC: i7-4960x @ 4.5Ghz, ASUS X79 Deluxe, 3x GTX Titan Black, 6x m4 512GB, 64GB Corsair DDR3-2400, Corsair AX1500i

Black Beauty Workstation/LAN PC: i5-4570 @ 3.79 GHz, ASRock Z87E-ITX, XFX Double D R9-280 (Non-X), GSkill 8GB DDR3-2400

I find in my use cases Core M cpus aren't very useful. Sure you can get fanless laptops (see Macbook 12"), but it is not worth the money.

I am basically looking for a "13,14 or 15 inch ultrabook (or notebook that is not that heavy), with a very powerful CPU.

Do you happen to know what a really solid cpu is that I can find in an ultrabook? 

For example, is the Dell XPS 13 i7 cpu capable of doing compiling/debugging tasks in languages such as java,c++ without much trouble?

I am basically looking for a "13,14 or 15 inch ultrabook (or notebook that is not that heavy), with a very powerful CPU.

Do you happen to know what a really solid cpu is that I can find in an ultrabook? 

For example, is the Dell XPS 13 i7 cpu capable of doing compiling/debugging tasks in languages such as java,c++ without much trouble?

exactly, for instance http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX301LA/

but if you need more power you'll have to go to a regular sized notebook, like MSi's gaming/ultrathin notebooks that feature regular mobile CPUs, or the Razer Blade

ACS Systems - Jason Neal

The XPS 13 has a 13" screen though. Hence the name...

exactly, for instance http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX301LA/

but if you need more power you'll have to go to a regular sized notebook, like MSi's gaming/ultrathin notebooks that feature regular mobile CPUs, or the Razer Blade

Do you have a recommendation of MSI ultra thin gaming notebooks (with a strong cpu), budget is not more than 1300euro.

and thanks for the suggestion about the ux301LA.

The XPS 13 has a 13" screen though. Hence the name...

I know, I never stated it wasn't a 13 inch screen  :huh:

I said I didn't take it because it had a 11inch body with a 13inch screen (due to infinity screen). The keyboard is just as big as of a 11inch laptop's keyboard.

Not sure if they upgraded the CPUs but fast enough anyway...

ACS Systems - Jason Neal

I know, I never stated it wasn't a 13 inch screen  :huh:

I said I didn't take it because it had a 11inch body with a 13inch screen (due to infinity screen). The keyboard is just as big as of a 11inch laptop's keyboard.

Ah right okay. I was confused why you had issue with it if you wanted a 13" screen.

Ah right okay. I was confused why you had issue with it if you wanted a 13" screen.

I would've taken it if the keyboard was bigger haha.

I guess the i7 4xxx-u (micro) cpu's are strong enough for running virtual machines for programming purposes?

I would've taken it if the keyboard was bigger haha.

I guess the i7 4xxx-u (micro) cpu's are strong enough for running virtual machines for programming purposes?

No, you'll probably want a "normal" mobile CPU for that. That said I haven't tried virtualization on any of the ultrabooks I sell... interesting idea there. Best bet is that GS60, there's one on amazon for $1100 (about 1030 euro)

ACS Systems - Jason Neal

No, you'll probably want a "normal" mobile CPU for that. That said I haven't tried virtualization on any of the ultrabooks I sell... interesting idea there. Best bet is that GS60, there's one on amazon for $1100 (about 1030 euro)

Thanks!

This is EXACTLY what i've been looking for the past month specwise.

2kg (less than the average bulky notebook of 2.6kg), 16gb ram (good for programming), 126gb ssd for nice OS and still 1tb hdd.. and a good cpu.

Damn you're a savior sir.

I just now have to look into reviews whether the sound, cooling, keyboard and stuff are good ;p

Dell XPS 13 is a good choice.. 

dell xps 13 is amazing, but I doubt that CPU (micro cpu) can handle virtual machines.