Home server ideas

Erfurt

Hey guys,

So I want to make a home server, I'm planing on using linux as the os, and run the server as a file server/plex media server. I might even have it getting windows updates, and run a small minecraft/teamspeak server on it as well. However every time I sit down and try to find part of this 'badboy' I find some really expensive parts, that I don't really think is needed. I was looking at ASRock C2550D4I at first, but I think that it would be pretty overkill for what I'm making, and it's a bit pricey aswell. Maybe I'm wrong here, someone will properly tell me :P

As such I don't really have a budget, other than, the cheapest you could get, that suits my needs. As for size I would love if it was a mini-itx/mini-dtx size. Micro-atx would be to big in my opinion :). However I have one request about the motherboard, and that is, it should support at least 6 drives, with 2 of them able to run in hard raid would be lovely. Storage wise, I have some HDD's I can use, and I have a couple of SSD's aswell, so I'm in a good spot there. As for PSU, I think I have one that might work, but some suggestions here is very much appreciated anyway.

My setup: i5 3570K  - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77 GD65 - 256 GB Samsung 840 pro SSD - Corsair AX760i - Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 2GB - 4x4 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RAM - Corsair Carbide 500R (modded side window)

I have run this as a server platform for quite a while:

• ASUS P8H77-I (H77, 6 SATA ports, two full DIMM slots)
  • Intel Celeron G1610 (dual core 2.6 GHz)
  • However much RAM you think you need. 4 gigs seems fine, except maybe for minecraft, so might want to opt for 8 gigs
  • Corsair CX430M
  • some case

Of course, you can just dump in whichever 1155 CPU you'd like in there, should the G1610 not be adequate for you needs (mostly looking at Minecraft then).

The board has built-in Intel RAID (ICH10 IIRC), but tbh I'd opt for software RAID.

EDIT: for reference, my home server runs on less than 500 MB of RAM (headless Debian, software RAID - mdadm). It's actually closer to 300 MB

I have run this as a server platform for quite a while:

• ASUS P8H77-I (H77, 6 SATA ports, two full DIMM slots)
  • Intel Celeron G1610 (dual core 2.6 GHz)
  • However much RAM you think you need. 4 gigs seems fine, except maybe for minecraft, so might want to opt for 8 gigs
  • Corsair CX430M
  • some case

Of course, you can just dump in whichever 1155 CPU you'd like in there, should the G1610 not be adequate for you needs (mostly looking at Minecraft then).

The board has built-in Intel RAID (ICH10 IIRC), but tbh I'd opt for software RAID.

EDIT: for reference, my home server runs on less than 500 MB of RAM (headless Debian, software RAID - mdadm). It's actually closer to 300 MB

Thanks, this was very helpful, I might go for a similar build, the minecraft stuff is just a maybe, a friend of mine is actually looking into getting one hosted :P But I will still take into consideration when build this :)

My setup: i5 3570K  - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77 GD65 - 256 GB Samsung 840 pro SSD - Corsair AX760i - Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 2GB - 4x4 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RAM - Corsair Carbide 500R (modded side window)

Thanks, this was very helpful, I might go for a similar build, the minecraft stuff is just a maybe, a friend of mine is actually looking into getting one hosted :P But I will still take into consideration when build this :)

Too bad you're all the way out in Denmark... If you  were a bit closer you could've taken over (some) of that old build. It's just gathering dust at the moment...