is raid worth it?

rainbrodash666

I just got two WD caviar 160gb drives circa 2008, and wondered if I should make them my boot drive in raid 0, I am using a 320gb seagate barracuda currently. with a 750 for storage, and if I go to the raid I will run the two drives in raid, and a 500gb and 750gb seagate barracuda for storage.

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

I assume you are using hardware RAID in the form of the Intel controller on your mobo? Those drives would benefit by a bit of a performance increase in RAID0. Just remember, you double your chances of failure - either drives fails and you lose it all. If you looking for a real performance boost, obviously go with SSD for boot...

I just really don't like using older drives in RAID0 for something as critical as a boot drive...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Since the 2 drives are from 2008 they are already 4 years old and I would not trust them to stay reliable in a raid 0 that I would rely on for my OS. If you do video editing they would work great in raid 0 as a scratch disk since it would not be mission critical. Mechanical drives only provide about 100-200 IOPS and in a raid 0 with many on-board controllers the max IOPS available may be lower than that provided by a single drive even though the throughput would be almost double. When dealing with OS drives your 4k IOPS performance is far more important than your max throughput. If you want to see a real performance gain in your system buy a current generation SSD from a good brand to use as your OS drive and then use those 2 older drives in a raid 1 as redundant storage or in a raid 0 as a scratch disk for temporary or shared network storage.

I say yes to RAID 0! Double your Hard Drive access speed is a no brainer, sure failures are more probable but that's why they invented backups. If you hate to wait then do it, if you don't mind waiting then no need for RAID 0. (I hate waiting)

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

and if I go the direction of raid should I ghost over my current os install or start fresh? win 7 ult x64

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

and if I go the direction of raid should I ghost over my current os install or start fresh? win 7 ult x64

You'll need to do a fresh install as you'll need the RAID drivers this time. Some motherboards/Raid cards allow or support moving from one drive to Raid 1 but I don't think they'll do Raid 0 from one drive.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

assuming, your current OS isn't on one of the drives you plan on using in the array (or you have a spare OS to clone the drive over, ect), you should be clone it over, since it the array once initialized behaves as single drive, as far as windows is concerned.

RAID is useful if you want to help prevent downtime for something like a home server or some critical computer, or absolutely need the performance of raid0. If you can live with having to swap out a dead drive every time one dies (not very often, by the way) and don't need ridiculous performance, then don't spend the money.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

SO WHAT I AM THINKING ABOUT DOING IS TRYING THE RAID AND JUST KEEPING MY 320 GB DRIVE INTACT IN CASE OF A FAILURE. AND SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS MY HTC AMAZE WONT LET ME GO TO LOWERSLCASE HERE FOR SOME REASON

Spoiler

so I have the disc's up and running as a windows striped disc to test out for storing steam and games I will see how it goes

Spoiler

so I have my raid 0 setup done in bios now, and have installed windows 8 fresh. I just disconnected my other drives for now lets see how this goes.

Spoiler