GTX 970 OC Help!

Jumals

Hello guys, so I'm a total noob on GPU OC, I've never done it before but I decided to try it.

So I just throwed something in the MSI afterburner (probably pretty stupid) but I wanted to try how it would work.

atm:

image.png

So tell me if my GPU is about to blow up, what would be safe limits etc.

My GPU is Zotac GTX 970 (non AMP version)

And my system specs are in my siggy.

I did run heaven benchmark once, it didn't crash with these settings: DX11, Quality Ultra, Tessellation Normal, Stereo 3D Disabled, Multimonitor Disabled, AA x4, Resolution 1080p

Imo my fps got way better from the stock clocks, but there might have been a little ammount of stuttering, not sure but imo I have that with stock clocks as well.

Graphics cards have so many protectionlimits these days, you can basically just try until it fails. Only things you have to be a little careful with is memory and voltageincrease, but even those probably cause a drivercrash before it physically damages.

if it didnt crash, and there weren't graphical anomalies, then it should be fine. what were the in game clocks?

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Graphics cards have so many protectionlimits these days, you can basically just try until it fails. Only things you have to be a little careful with is memory and voltageincrease, but even those probably cause a drivercrash before it physically damages.

Nice to know, Yeah I'll be trying untill it fails.

Which is more important the Core Clock or Memory Clock?

GPU clock speed gives higher gain.

However, you do have to increase memory at some point.

Nice to know, Yeah I'll be trying untill it fails.

Which is more important the Core Clock or Memory Clock?

Coreclock, here is a benchmark I did on 4K with 7ghz vs 8ghz memory (GTX 970 Strix, 1400 core);

7ghz

fETPHKt.jpg

8ghz

y3zBr4i.jpg

As you can see, the "256" bit memory bus on maxwel isn't a limiting factor to a significant degree. Not on a single card atleast.

Ok so I increased the core clock from 200 to 250 and with the same settings in the benchmark, the gpu kinda failed, I mean it said in the windows that the driver of the gpu showed up some error.

But it lasted about for 2 seconds then the benchmark started to keep going, so is that because of unstable OC?

Currently I have:

graphics; 1668
Memory: 3705

Those are from heaven benchmark.

In MSI Afterburner:

Core: 250+
Memory: 200+

E: I wanted to ask about the power limit, that gives the OC more stability right? But is increasing that dangerous?

That PCB looks like it wasn't designed for heavy overclocking. Increase your powerlimit, that might be the issue. 

What are you testing stability with?

Heaven Benchmark tool, the normal power limit is at 100 and the max is 106, what would be good (safe).

If the benchmarking software crashes, it's due to unstable oc?

Oh ok, btw I found some very stable settings atm, even more stable than the stock settings lol.
I set the core to 230+ from 250, and there was no stuttering at all, butter smooth animation all the way.

I'll definitely keep messing with this.

Another thing, do I need to raise the memory clock as well inorder to keep the OC stable?

Good results so far, with 3DMark.

I've set the core clock +370 and memory clock to 300+

Haven't crashed yet, also results gets better each time.

GPU temps are lot lower than stock which is weird.

Is this normal?

wut.png

I got that when I tried with my OC (230+ on core and 200+ on memory) then I put the clocks back to normal and I still got that.
It's popping up every once in a while that "GPU power limit reached" also with stock it popped up something like "Core voltage...something" on red text as well.

With oc it didn't pop up that core voltage stuff.

So is that dangerous? I mean that power limit thing.

I run funmark for couple of seconds then I saw that and closed the program, that same "gpu power limit reached" keeps popping up when I run the heaven bench mark.

So is something wrong?