mineos on 32 GB usb

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

you're hosting a 20-person server off of your home PC & connection?

thats a recipe for disaster...

Iets an dedicated server

Hi, i have an USB drive from icidu with 32 GB i was wondering if i cloud install mineos on it and run a 20 men spigot server? Thanks! :) :)

to be honest, i'm pretty sure its possible, but i doubt its a good idea.

reads/writes (writes especially) can trash a USB drive rather quickly.

Really? :(

sidenote: i tried mineOS, and i'm not sure what to think of it...

from one side it looks amazing, everything is very simple and easy to use.

from the other side, it could be SO much more than just a dumbed down webmin interface.

also, why the hell would you want a 20-person server on a portable media? O.o

sidenote: i tried mineOS, and i'm not sure what to think of it...

from one side it looks amazing, everything is very simple and easy to use.

from the other side, it could be SO much more than just a dumbed down webmin interface.

also, why the hell would you want a 20-person server on a portable media? O.o

Because i have it in the livingroom and usb's are silent and the last hdd i have is from 2005 and very loud ;)

Because i have it in the livingroom and usb's are silent and the last hdd i have is from 2005 and very loud ;)

Iets an dedicated server

I can do ten tho :)

Iets an dedicated server

if its just for a few friends, thats fine (but really, put that thing somewhere you cant hear it)

but if you want decent hosting, i suggest renting a small server. (DONT rent from mc hosting companies, they are terrible)

hosting companies like online<dot>net and ovh provive very good packages for minecraft servers, at a price even the mc hosting companies cant dream of competing with.

sidenote: online<dot>net is french, and they dont seem to put much effort into the english version of their website, thus making me a bit iffy about their service.

if its just for a few friends, thats fine (but really, put that thing somewhere you cant hear it)

but if you want decent hosting, i suggest renting a small server. (DONT rent from mc hosting companies, they are terrible)

hosting companies like online<dot>net and ovh provive very good packages for minecraft servers, at a price even the mc hosting companies cant dream of competing with.

sidenote: online<dot>net is french, and they dont seem to put much effort into the english version of their website, thus making me a bit iffy about their service.

Nice ;)  but there is one site that does it really well i have even bin a customer of them but i really want to have my own hardware just for fun my conection should be able to do ten people with ease but can that flash drive hold ten people? :unsure:

Nice ;)  but there is one site that does it really well i have even bin a customer of them but i really want to have my own hardware just for fun my conection should be able to do ten people with ease but can that flash drive hold ten people? :unsure:

its all really dependant on what exactly is happening.

also, if its a public server, no matter how good your connection is, you're ALWAYS at risk of getting DDoS'ed.. which sadly happens way too much in the minecraft community.

also, if its a public server, no matter how good your connection is, you're ALWAYS at risk of getting DDoS'ed.. which sadly happens way too much in the minecraft community.

I am not that afraid of that because i am ddosed with an home mc server before but for me a simple plugin fixed it all everytime that guy wanted to ddos me the plugin just stopped it :)

But do you think such a flashdrive will last me a few years with 10 people? :D

But do you think such a flashdrive will last me a few years with 10 people? :D

Most likely not. I would guess 4-8 months. Most OS's that are fine to run off a usb sticks 24/7 dump them self in to ram and only update config files etc on the usb stick.

2500K @ 4.5GHz | ASRock P67 Extreme 6 | 16GB Ram | GTX 750 Ti | 250gb SSD | 1TB+2TB HDD | 720W CoolerMaster PSU | Essense STX Sound Card | Define R5

You could and should be fine for several years but don't absolutely count on it. Minecraft like all games load all the necessary information into memory during operation. So there shouldn't be much taxing on the NAND in terms of write cycles until you shut the server down or it goes to dump information periodically. If it's a USB 2.0 drive then you're likely going to run into performance problems although if it's a USB 3.0 drive running in a supporting port then I wouldn't hesitate to do it just keep it in the back of your mind even 6 months from now that drive can cease functionality.

You could and should be fine for several years but don't absolutely count on it. Minecraft like all games load all the necessary information into memory during operation. So there shouldn't be much taxing on the NAND in terms of write cycles until you shut the server down or it goes to dump information periodically. If it's a USB 2.0 drive then you're likely going to run into performance problems although if it's a USB 3.0 drive running in a supporting port then I wouldn't hesitate to do it just keep it in the back of your mind even 6 months from now that drive can cease functionality.

So if i buy a usb 3.0 drive it cloud be possible?