Lower FPS in GTAV than expected

Trout

Hi guys,
Lately in GTA V I've been getting lower FPS than what I should be expecting. 
I run the game on mostly high and very high (which is what the game set for me on first launch) and I get anywhere between 30-80fps with an average of around 45 fps. This is strange because my specs are at at least equal to the recommended -- if not better. 

What I've tried so far is first downloading the beta 15.4 drivers from AMD which didn't change anything. I then tried turning down the settings: no matter if I changed everything to the lowest settings or changed the resolution down from 1080p my fps would not change. I'm lost now. 

My questions are what FPS do you think I should expect? Am I over-estimating my PC? If I'm not, what can I do about this if anything? Could it potentially be an optimisation issue? 

My specs:
i7 3770k @ 3.50ghz stock
8GB ram 
MSI r9 290x 

Any help is appreciated! 
Thanks. 

Many AMD users are getting less than expected performance.

Wait a week or two for better drivers and updates and see how it is then. 

Thanks for the response. I guess I'll wait and see what happens.

I'm currently using this modded Window 10 driver for GTA V. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=397877

I play on Very High + FXAA + 2xMSAA and getting around 55-65 fps and 45 min while driving fast. 

I suggest remove your current driver using DDU if you want to try it. You need to disable driver signature to install this driver.

Also, kindly take your time to report about GTA V low gpu usage to AMD. http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D23A3DE979

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Your CPU is also at stock.  Why get a K series if you don't want to overclock.  I'm on a i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz and a OC'd GTX 970 and I get better performance than you.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I'm currently using this modded Window 10 driver for GTA V. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=397877

I play on Very High + FXAA + 2xMSAA and getting around 55-65 fps and 45 min while driving fast. 

I suggest remove your current driver using DDU if you want to try it. You need to disable driver signature to install this driver.

Also, kindly take your time to report about GTA V low gpu usage to AMD. http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D23A3DE979

I'll give this a try and I will also do the surveys

What quality are you running at?

Mostly high-very high with stuff like tesselation, grass, msaa and shadows turned down or off.

Your CPU is also at stock.  Why get a K series if you don't want to overclock.  I'm on a i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz and a OC'd GTX 970 and I get better performance than you.

Yeah I know. When I bought the cpu, I intended to overclock but I've gotten lazy. Still, the game doesn't use 100% of my CPU (mostly stays around 75-80%) so should I really have to overclock it to get better performance? 

I'll give this a try and I will also do the surveys

Mostly high-very high with stuff like tesselation, grass, msaa and shadows turned down or off.

Yeah I know. When I bought the cpu, I intended to overclock but I've gotten lazy. Still, the game doesn't use 100% of my CPU (mostly stays around 75-80%) so should I really have to overclock it to get better performance? 

My CPU is at 4.5 and i cant do anything on the desktop when in game.

Also my 780's perform POORLY.

Always the reviewers getting good performance :l

980's in SLI run this fine for me. Not great when leaving the city and on some highways, buts its fine. I'm running maxed out. Exceptions being MSAA is 4x for textures and shadows. TXAA off because it makes the game look worse. 80-90fps normally. 40-50 in grassy and outside of city highways.

| Intel 5820K OC'd 4.6Ghz (Swifttech H320 X2) | Asus x99 Deluxe w/ USB 3.1 | 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram | 2 Nvidia GTX 980ti Classified's | 250gb Samsung EVO SSD OS Drive | 128GB Samsung SSD Cache Drive | 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 2TB & 4TB Western Digital HDD | Corsair K70 Keyboard | Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 | ASUS 27" ROG Swift

Turn off all the advanced settings. On the window where the game says that turning these on will have an impact on the performance. Those settings have a huge effect on the FPS on all systems.

And you can also try lowering the load distance settings(don't remember what it's actually called). That can also increase the FPS.

MSAAx4 and higher also has a huge impact on the performance. Try 2x or turn it off to increase the FPS.

980's in SLI run this fine for me. Not great when leaving the city and on some highways, buts its fine. I'm running maxed out. Exceptions being MSAA is 4x for textures and shadows. TXAA off because it makes the game look worse. 80-90fps normally. 40-50 in grassy and outside of city highways.

how does that exactly help OP...