Upgrade question

JakubOCD

I have a question. I'm going to be upgrading my old 775 motherboard, CPU and ram while harvesting my drives(SSD and 2TB HDD), psu and case with a Asus z87a board and 4670k CPU and hyperx ram; will I have to reformat my drive SSD (used as a boot drive) to work with my new hardware?

It would be a good idea, as the drivers will most likely differ greatly. Is it necessary? Not likely.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It would be a good idea, as the drivers will most likely differ greatly. Is it necessary? Not likely.

Thanks, that's what I thought, might be a little more work but easier in the long run.

Thanks, that's what I thought, might be a little more work but easier in the long run.

I highly recommend that you format and do a fresh install, it will be a major PITA otherwise

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Just a recommendation, there's a webiste that Linus used which will make your life easier to find all the installer once you do a reformat. 

the website is called: ninite.com

hope this helps.

Just a recommendation, there's a webiste that Linus used which will make your life easier to find all the installer once you do a reformat.

the website is called: ninite.com

hope this helps.

Thanks, I've seen a video of him using it, I'll be sure to check it out, I'm currently in the process of formatting. Maybe once everything is done ill post to the build log; although my build isn't anything special.

Thanks, I've seen a video of him using it, I'll be sure to check it out, I'm currently in the process of formatting. Maybe once everything is done ill post to the build log; although my build isn't anything special.

new upgrade since the 775 era? i think that's a special moment.

the computer that my parents are using is still 775 socket with 1GB ram. haha, but it still serves them.

new upgrade since the 775 era? i think that's a special moment.

the computer that my parents are using is still 775 socket with 1GB ram. haha, but it still serves them.

Indeed it is, its so sweet. Makes me want to wake up my brother and yell at him that our PC boots in under 8 seconds now.!

Make that 6.4 sec or less (depending on your specs and motherboard) with a GOP ready GPU and Windows 8 with a UEFI BIOS.<br />

/>