OLED monitors

cisto1999

i am wondering why there are still no OLED monitors on the market. I mean you can buy 55" 4k oled tvs for a acceptabel prize so why there are no monitors?

The market is slowed down on purpose, people are still buying all current technologies quite eagerly; once the market goes down Oled monitors will appear here and there. At least that's my opinion.

For now I think they prefer to milk the high price range while it's still a new technology. A bit like they did with 4k monitors when they first became a thing and before samsung and asus decided to make something priced reasonably. Display techonolgies also don't have as much marketing impact as new resolutions; those have higher numbers, OLED is just another acronym that could be better or worse for your average ret joe. Accodring to LG OLEDs should become cheaper than LCDs in about 3 years, so hopefully we won't need to wait very long.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

for the same reason there are no really insanely fast gpu's, or processors.  The powers at be want to get all the money out of people while they can, while only making small incremental improvements.  I really really wish a monitor manufacturer would hop on the OLED train, and produce them at a reasonable price, I'd snatch it up in a heart beat.

If they'd started out with 24" OLED monitors first someone would be here asking why there aren't any 55" OLED TVs. Unfortunately this is just how things are, products trickle into the market especially with new technology. You aren't just going to invent OLED and then suddenly come out with a product for every market segment all at once.

I just want an ultrawide, flexible(as in it I could alter the curvature of the screen myself), OLED, 4K, g-sync, 144hz monitor

I just want an ultrawide, flexible(as in it I could alter the curvature of the screen myself), OLED, 4K, g-sync, 144hz monitor

Wouldnt that just be the perfect screen?...  

Sadly its 3-4 years in the future... if were lucky.

In addition to all of this, OLED screen have some big issues

For one, to give you high precision for small text, the pixels needs to be like this:

iphone3gsrgb.jpg

OLED is like this:

oleds_x220_0.jpg

Or a different variation of the placement.

For example:

diamond-pixel-structur-samsung-display.j

Why?

Because some OLED colors wears faster than others. So, they more of it to last about the same as the other color. Blue is the first one out. Then red as you can deduce. Hence why blue and red are big on the above picture.

In addition, blue emits less of light than red, and green colors (and I believe red the same compared to green, but not 100% sure), so it definitely needs more of it.

When OLED colors age, they don't really dim, they change color. So software on the OLED display, corrects the color based on that, and the brightness level you set the display. The correction is not perfect. On a monitor we expect to adjust adjust colors, and on a smartphone, not so much. This makes the algorithm much more complex, creating input lag.

All of these issues are fine for a smartphone, as you usually don't need color accuracy, and high precision (as you read stuff in big). But on a desktop monitor, you'll definitely notice.

OLED issues aside. I really do hope that within next couple of years we start to see monitors with some different better panel than todays TN and IPS. There's also VA but that's nothing special. TN haves bad quality and IPS is slow. Would be nice to see something that can be top notch in all terms.

CRT monitors are still fastest and have bigger color range. Flat screen technology lags behind, specially for desktop. Mobiles are getting better screens and resolutions, by the end of year 4K will come on smartphones. If desktop would be equal in terms of innovations like mobiles there would be like 8K OLED by the end of the year.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |